PDA

View Full Version : Detailing small areas by hand ????'s

Joelotto
01-26-2013, 07:29 AM
I'm detailing my 2009 maxima and have around 10 hours experience behind a GG6. I don't know all the in's and outs about detailing paint on the front a rear bumpers what are made of fiberglass/plastic??? I was thinking about doing both bumpers by hand and wanted to see what the best way is to accomplish this task. I did the rest of the car with FG 400 and SF 4000 and it turned out great. I was also thinking about doing the larger areas on the bumpers with the DA and doing the rest by hand but I have read in a few places that it's much easier to mess the paint up on the bumps so I just wanted to see if I could get some help as to the best way by hand and what I need to be careful with when using the DA. Feed back please Thanks for your input into how to attack these areas and I will keep searching the forum at the same time on this topic

Setec Astronomy
01-26-2013, 07:47 AM
The issue with the bumpers is that the plastic material doesn't dissipate heat like a metal panel, so it's easier to overheat the paint. Don't dwell on the same area for a long time, frequently feel the paint and the pad (if you can't hold your hand on it, it's too hot). And pay attention! If it fails, it will happen in the blink of an eye. Just be careful, forum members polish those surfaces every day.

And for the areas you can't get a machine into, sure you can do them by hand. SMAT polishes work really well for that, like M105/205.

EddieF
01-26-2013, 09:26 AM
I took a 5.5 inch pad and put it in my hand and went to town on my car. It worked well, you can apply a lot of pressure if needed. Be prepared to be warn out.

richy
01-26-2013, 11:08 AM
I will often do that with my B & S yellow pad. Fold it like a taco and its a great way to do your wheels or hard to access areas.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

richy
01-26-2013, 11:10 AM
I'm detailing my 2009 maxima and have around 10 hours experience behind a GG6. I don't know all the in's and outs about detailing paint on the front a rear bumpers what are made of fiberglass/plastic??? I was thinking about doing both bumpers by hand and wanted to see what the best way is to accomplish this task. I did the rest of the car with FG 400 and SF 4000 and it turned out great. I was also thinking about doing the larger areas on the bumpers with the DA and doing the rest by hand but I have read in a few places that it's much easier to mess the paint up on the bumps so I just wanted to see if I could get some help as to the best way by hand and what I need to be careful with when using the DA. Feed back please Thanks for your input into how to attack these areas and I will keep searching the forum at the same time on this topic

Like the warning above, you CAN'T be too careful on plastic. I use rotary and wool for correcting it and lightly feather the trigger; it's a very, very effective method.

Bill220
01-26-2013, 10:29 PM
I'm really glad that I read this thread. I'd never considered the heat factor with bumpers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HellaBroke
01-26-2013, 10:31 PM
Another side note to your hand application it sounds crazy but people put a lot more pressure than they think when using hand pads. Also using a legit hand applicator are worth the money the cheap autozone applicators are cotton filled and your fingers are going to make pressure points.
I guess my point is careful with hand application of compound your removing a lot more clear coat than you would think.... So check your work often and wAtch your pressure.

Joelotto
01-26-2013, 11:58 PM
thanks for everyone's feeedback and I'm glad that it helped other members here learn to use caution when polishing any part of the car that has plastic like the bumpers and mirrors. Thanks :props:

EddieF
01-27-2013, 05:18 PM
I will often do that with my B & S yellow pad. Fold it like a taco and its a great way to do your wheels or hard to access areas.

Hey Richy, i've noticed on most of you're post that you use B&S pads. I've been trying to find them, to check them out. Where can I find them? Thanks.