PDA

View Full Version : Rotation Issues 7424XP I ordered wrong pads.

mpjustice
01-26-2013, 02:58 AM
Mike do you still suggest the Lake Country Hydro-Tech Low Profile 5 1/2 x 7/8 Inch Foam Pads for the PC7424XP?

I read a thread from a few years back were you suggested these pads although under the AGO store they seem to be suggesting another Lake Country pad for DA polishers.

I was actually getting the reverse rotation you have written about I believe the cause is very think pads and to light of pressure.

AutowerxDetailing
01-26-2013, 03:07 AM
I use mainly CCS and Hydro-Tech pads with my PCXP and they work great. Couple of questions for you:

- Do you have the backing plate washer installed?
- What speed are you using?
- Are you working on a flat or curved section of paint?

mpjustice
01-26-2013, 03:17 AM
Well I bought it from Autogeeks so the backing plate came already installed but after doing reading and others having an issue I plan to check that tomorrow.

When I polish I am using 5 when applying a wax its usually 2.

I really see the loss of rotation when I hit curves in the body.

AutowerxDetailing
01-26-2013, 03:45 AM
I really see the loss of rotation when I hit curves in the body.

This is probably the main time you will have a problem with pad rotation when using a free-spinning DA style polisher. The trick is you must hold the face of the pad flat against the surface you are trying to polish or it will stop spinning (or even spin backwards slowly).

Solutions to this problem would be:

- Use a smaller pad on curved panels.
- Turn the speed of the polisher up to speed 6

Having a smaller backing plate and pads is very helpful, especially if you work on a variety of cars. :dblthumb2:

HellaBroke
01-26-2013, 10:01 AM
I use hydro techs with no problems. You really have to watch your pads though on curved panels or like said above the center of the pad will not be flat and the spinning will stop or slowly move backwards. I have 3" non flat hydro tech pads too that work awesome on the super odd angled panels that I can't seem to get the right rotation with and comes in handy on bumpers a,b,&c panels as well.

I saw the washer mentioned above and have read a few threads where guys were having the hydros come apart on them I would be willing to put money on its they forgot the washer or they allowed the pad to get over saturated with product and didn't clean/ swap out pads.

Side note hydro techs are the easiest pads to clean I have a minimum of 3 of each hydro and size anytime I do a car it's so easy to clean them under the sink spin dry and then let sit while you work with a new pad.

Try picking some 3-4" hydros up give them a shot on the odd panels I think you will like your results (not saying it can't be done with a 5.5-6.5 pad I just think its easier to switch and focus on the task at hand rather than concentrating on pad rotation )

mpjustice
01-26-2013, 05:24 PM
Thanks all I will be place an order for the smaller hydro tech pads asap.