PDA

View Full Version : Annoying Scratch on Dash

Radster1986
01-25-2013, 08:14 PM
I have a 1 " scratch on my dash RIGHT in front of me so I cant avoid looking at it haha. I dont plan on doing anything to alter the plastic, but I tried using some natural shine protectant and while that helped, in the dark when the light off the street lights and such hit it its very obvious, not so much in bright sunlight. I played around a little last week, tried a sharpie to color it in and that didnt work, the color was way off, then I tried using a pencil which was more of the color and covered it with protectant, that worked really well, in bright sunlight you cant see it, but in the dark and from certain angles you can. It is really quite annoying. Can anyone recommend something? I am open to suggestion short of replacing the dash haha

DEXTERITY
01-25-2013, 08:26 PM
I have some types of scratches or swirl marks on the wood trim on the interior of edge. I feel the same way you do and would love to know if it can be buffed out. I assume it is fake wood and probably cheap so the answer is no..

CM8 6MT
01-25-2013, 08:37 PM
I have some types of scratches or swirl marks on the wood trim on the interior of edge. I feel the same way you do and would love to know if it can be buffed out. I assume it is fake wood and probably cheap so the answer is no..

Look under my posts under Polishing interior trim. It can be buffed out, depending on how severe they are. Unless you have a really high end car, the wood trim is fake.

OP as far as your dash is concerned, how did a scratch get on it? Is it Vinyl?

Pureshine
01-25-2013, 08:40 PM
Post a pic please much easier to help with picture.

Radster1986
01-25-2013, 08:45 PM
Look under my posts under Polishing interior trim. It can be buffed out, depending on how severe they are. Unless you have a really high end car, the wood trim is fake.

Its textured plastic, and I have no clue how it happened, I bought it like that it didnt bother me that much until now, I still love the car regardless its not a make or break I can live with it, but if I have options I want to explore them haha

Radster1986
01-25-2013, 08:46 PM
Post a pic please much easier to help with picture.

I will try, it wont show up well on my camera

CM8 6MT
01-25-2013, 08:54 PM
I will try, it wont show up well on my camera

Put your finger right below the scratch so your camera can focus on it better when taking a close up shot.

Radster1986
01-25-2013, 09:14 PM
Put your finger right below the scratch so your camera can focus on it better when taking a close up shot.
once the wonderful snow of the east coast (BLAH) stops I will

DEXTERITY
01-25-2013, 09:34 PM

Thanks for your response. I think my Bmw had fake wood also. My new car is a Ford Edge limited so I'm sure it is fake wood.

I will refer to your post and hope for the best. Would pictures help? Thanks!

Sorry op for semi jacking your thread. I figured it made sense to post here since the topic was similar.

CM8 6MT
01-25-2013, 09:37 PM
Thanks for your response. I think my Bmw had fake wood also. My new car is a Ford Edge limited so I'm sure it is fake wood.

I will refer to your post and hope for the best. Would pictures help? Thanks!

Sorry op for semi jacking your thread. I figured it made sense to post here since the topic was similar.

Just keep in mind that what I had on my interior trim was very light scuffing. For scrarches, Menzerna SF4500 wont do much. You might need to step it up as far as abrasiveness. Just like paint, start with the least aggresive product.

DEXTERITY
01-26-2013, 06:36 AM
Just keep in mind that what I had on my interior trim was very light scuffing. For scrarches, Menzerna SF4500 wont do much. You might need to step it up as far as abrasiveness. Just like paint, start with the least aggresive product.

Will do, thank you.