PDA

View Full Version : Scratches around where the gear switch is located 2013

rafa579
01-25-2013, 11:42 AM
Today I was cleaning my car for the first time, I accidentally pressed little hard when cleaning the area where we have a space for shifting gear, I can't take it off and I dont like how it looks at all, if somebody can help me out What kind of products to use without making it worse

here is a picture

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j455/rafa579/photo_zps0cc0702e.jpg

:(

Setec Astronomy
01-25-2013, 11:47 AM
Try some interior dressing, that should even it out, at least temporarily.

Mazda.Mark
01-25-2013, 11:51 AM
At least in "D" it goes away for the most part! :)

Hey, if that is the imperfection that bugs you the most you got a great looking ride!

zmcgovern45
01-25-2013, 12:22 PM
Oh no, car is trashed... time to sell it and buy a new one!

But in all reality...

Try some interior dressing, that should even it out, at least temporarily.
^this

rafa579
01-25-2013, 12:50 PM
I had the car for two months am a college student and still paying for it so YES i want to keep it without scratches as much as I can, so there is no way to pernametly permanently remove it then :/

am not sure what interior dressing is, can you give some brands or examples?
thanks for the replies guys

Mike Phillips
01-25-2013, 01:09 PM
There is a thread about this that goes into in-depth detail on what it takes to do this kind of scratrch removal.

You need to read through the thread, not simply scan it.

Hang on I'll cyber dig it up...

:dig:

Setec Astronomy
01-25-2013, 01:11 PM
am not sure what interior dressing is, can you give some brands or examples?

Armor All, Meguiar's Supreme Shine or Natural Shine or Ultimate Protectant, Mother's Protectant or VLR.

Mike Phillips
01-25-2013, 01:20 PM
Here you go...

How to Remove Hair line scratches on Wood Trim? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/29615-how-remove-hair-line-scratches-wood-trim.html)

Good info in these replies on the topic of doing this type of intricate work but the entire thread is a good read before tackling this project.

Post #9
Post #20
Post #24 and video
Post #40 I mention I'll prevent the forum members pictures from turning into red x's.
Post #55 are the before and after pictures preserved in the gallery on this forum instead of lost forever on Photobucket.

Hope that helps...

:)

Mike Phillips
01-25-2013, 01:24 PM
Make sure none of the imprinted letters, lines etc on "on" the plastic or polishing will remove them. They should be under the plastic.

You can probably use a product like PlastX with a soft foam applicator pad.

Keep in mind, as I detail in the linked-to thread, working intricate, small areas with one or two fingers and creating a "like new" surface is pretty hard for the same reasons it's hard to get a like new finish on a car with a modern clear coat finish by hand.

Thus the popularity of machine polishing.

I've made small foam pads about 1" in diameter for machine polishing for work like this but again... doing this kind of work starts to get real time-consuming and complicated.

If you undergo it better make sure it's not going to simply happen again.

How's the outside of the car look?

Good luck...

:xyxthumbs:

zmcgovern45
01-25-2013, 02:39 PM
Isn't the OP talking about the scratches on the matte plastic piece which moves as you select various gears? Not the hairline scratches in the glossy black piece surrounding the gear selector?

CM8 6MT
01-25-2013, 03:00 PM
Below is a quick thread I posted on polishing interior trim. However you might have to go a little more aggresive depending on how severe the scratches are. Mine were merely scuffs, and used a very light polish (Menzerna SF4500).

www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/59771-polishing-interior-trim-w-menzerna.html

rafa579
01-25-2013, 03:23 PM
Isn't the OP talking about the scratches on the matte plastic piece which moves as you select various gears? Not the hairline scratches in the glossy black piece surrounding the gear selector?

thanks a lot for the replies guys, yes I mean the matter plastic piece , not the wood part jeje
I will check those threads out tho, it might help.

Mike Phillips
01-29-2013, 07:02 AM
I will check those threads out tho, it might help.

The thread I included talked about working with your finger or fingers to remove defects in tight, restricted, confined areas regardless of the project itself.

Yes.

There's not tons of articles on how to work in small, confined areas where you really can't get a machine with a buffing pad.

:xyxthumbs: