PDA

View Full Version : How often do you wash in Winter?

Pages : [1] 2 3

116Rob
01-25-2013, 11:23 AM
Purchased a 2013 F-150 late fall that I applied two coats of Blackfire Sealant topped with Collinite 845. Up untill a week ago I was hand washing (2 bucket method) or ONR every weekend. Last weekend the roads were still a mess so I went to the car wash and just sprayed off with water, no soap. Roads are still a mess, so what's the point of doing a full hand wash only to drive it 5 miles and covered with snow and road salt again?

Mazda.Mark
01-25-2013, 11:49 AM
This will vary a lot depending on commute, weather, DD, garage queen, etc.

Mine is outside 24/7 so I only wash when roads are salted and I get a lot of spray on or under the car. It has been very hard to go from washing 1x week and using UWW+ between washes to washing maybe every 2-3 weeks and using a spray sealant.

I agree with you, not worth it to "detail" if it loses the detailed look in 5 minutes.

Just make sure to use the coin-op to get in your wheel wells and undercarriage after driving on heavily salted surfaces.

zmcgovern45
01-25-2013, 12:17 PM
I will ONR wash every 1-2 weeks, but I do agree that if the roads are in such bad shape that your cleaning will be ruined as soon as you leave your driveway it is not worth it. I think doing to a coin op and giving it a good pressure wash is a fine alternative in the meantime. It gets the bulk of the nasty stuff off of your paint and undercarriage.

You can only do so much in the winter! Even washing it once is more than most people will bother to do.

Bigbull2984
01-25-2013, 12:38 PM
I am trying to wash every two week at the touchless, to get most of the stuff off and when I get home Ill go over with a waterless and apply a spray sealant like BF Polymer Spray or WG Spritz

runrun411
01-25-2013, 01:22 PM
After a major detail, other than fingers to open the doors and the trunk there is no reason for anything or anyone to touch the paint. Touchless wash in the winter is the only way to go.

FishyX
01-25-2013, 01:28 PM
I hate a dirty vehicle but have learned to live with it during the winter months here in Michigan. A couple coats of Z2 and touching up the undercoat each fall gets me through the winter months nicely. If weather permits, I'll give her a good hand washing but I know it's gonna get trashed quickly.

T3 AutoDetails
01-25-2013, 02:01 PM
All the places around here that are coin op have double end garage doors. I pull my car in and pressure wash, then apply the protection it needs. Mainly just a quick wash and wax once a month though in winter, i use the same garage and do my interior every week!!

swanicyouth
01-25-2013, 02:13 PM
Weekly somehow.

NYV6Coupe
01-25-2013, 02:14 PM
If the roads are sloppy & slushy I just let it go for a while.

If the roads are pretty dry then I'll wand wash (rinse only) when the temps allow it.

If the temps are at least upper 20's I'll take it to the wand wash & then do a driveway bucket wash.

Chris's FX4
01-25-2013, 02:38 PM
When ever the temps get above 20*F and stay that way for a couple days, I usually will take it to an automatic touchless or DIY to just rinse everything off. It usually ends up being every few weeks that I'm able to it. But yes, I only do it if the roads aren't a complete slush mess. They can still be snow packed and I'll still wash it.

Mazda.Mark
01-25-2013, 02:40 PM
23 degrees here today so it will be going through a touchless followed by DG Aquawax.

Evan.J
01-25-2013, 02:56 PM
23 degrees here today so it will be going through a touchless followed by DG Aquawax.

15 Degrees here so I will be doing the same!

07gtcs
01-25-2013, 04:53 PM
Since big red sits outside 24/7, it gets washed only when the weather is warm enough to do so. Yes I even do it if we have melting snow, need to get one layer of that crap off when ever possible. I either do a Rinseless or take it through the the local touchless.

SON1C
01-25-2013, 07:33 PM
varies, sometimes weekly, sometimes every 2, sometimes once a month

116Rob
01-25-2013, 08:17 PM
Thanks guys. Now I don't feel so guilty about missing a weekly wash.