PDA

View Full Version : So how DO i wax my car?

Qusai
01-24-2013, 01:09 PM
Honestly, I have a serious question. When there is a paste wax on the vehicle and there comes a point in time (maybe few weeks) when i would want to rewax or apply another lsp, would I need to strip the paint, or would i be able to just wax over with a different paste? This is what im working with at the moment: collinite 915 + Souveran paste. I already have one outstanding coat of 915 on my car, and im aware that i can top it with souveran. But my question is referring to how i would go about maintaining a paste wax lsp on my car using different paste wax? If that didn't confuse any of you, thank you for your time and help again friends.

SON1C
01-24-2013, 01:18 PM
Different routes to take, just keep it simple imo and apply another coat
Proper route would probably be to strip to bare paint and apply the lsp of your choice
I usually strip so I can see what a new lsp brings to the table for me
But if I was just maintaining I simply apply another layer if need be
Remember it's really all about the prep work though

Audios S6
01-24-2013, 01:40 PM
Just topping will work fine for several coats. With many layers over the course of several months, the paint color won't be a rich and metal flake won't pop the same as with a single coat.

You may kick yourself when it comes time to strip everything off.

Audios S6
01-24-2013, 01:45 PM
One other vey important note: keep a very close eye on your applicator pad, if you haven't done a clay step there is a higher chance of picking up some contaminants and either scratching your CC or depositing the contaminant in your wax pot to scratch your paint at a later date.

FUNX650
01-24-2013, 01:53 PM
Honestly, I have a serious question. When there is a paste wax on the vehicle and there comes a point in time (maybe few weeks) when i would want to rewax or apply another lsp, would I need to strip the paint, or would i be able to just wax over with a different paste? This is what im working with at the moment: collinite 915 + Souveran paste. I already have one outstanding coat of 915 on my car, and im aware that i can top it with souveran. But my question is referring to how i would go about maintaining a paste wax lsp on my car using different paste wax? If that didn't confuse any of you, thank you for your time and help again friends.

ON Daily Drivers...
After ~3-4 weeks...And in order to maintain a regimen of "wax-protection"...
I'd say that you're just about ready for a re-application of your choice of a wax.

To be honest...
I never felt the need to "strip" a film-layer of a wax after it nears the end of its life-cycle:
Much of that film-layer is gone, so to say...And whatever amount of the original wax film-layer
is left after a thorough wash/dry-session...
I contend: Has never interferred (as far as I've ever been able to document)
with any successive wax film-layer(s) that I've applied to a vehicle.

Now in this particular wax-scenario of yours:
-You have: '2 original' wax-coats/layers.

-I highly suspect that the Souveran paste wax will be the film-layer most deteriorated by the end of ~3-4 weeks.

-I also suspect that there will be a certain film-layer amount of Collinite #915 that will have survived.
(even possibly some Souveran too)

-Anyway...After performing your car-washing/drying session:
-Apply your selected car-wax to a "test-spot" area to personally see if you can detect any problems with the:
'new wax film-layer'...not playing nicely...with this test-spot's area.
-You'll know straightaway your next course of action!!

Of course...These are JMO...Y&EEMMV.

:)

Bob

SON1C
01-24-2013, 02:01 PM
Good input ^

Qusai
01-24-2013, 05:20 PM
Different routes to take, just keep it simple imo and apply another coat
Proper route would probably be to strip to bare paint and apply the lsp of your choice
I usually strip so I can see what a new lsp brings to the table for me
But if I was just maintaining I simply apply another layer if need be
Remember it's really all about the prep work though

Definitely, i got you on that. Im finished with the polishing/prep process. That was a rewarding accomplishment for me although it took me TIME and patience. So im just worrying about maintaining the finish the proper way, and i do sometimes like to experiment so i strip and apply a completely different lsp sometimes. Thank you for the good reviews man helping us out being active in the forum.

Qusai
01-24-2013, 05:22 PM
ON Daily Drivers...
After ~3-4 weeks...And in order to maintain a regimen of "wax-protection"...
I'd say that you're just about ready for a re-application of your choice of a wax.

To be honest...
I never felt the need to "strip" a film-layer of a wax after it nears the end of its life-cycle:
Much of that film-layer is gone, so to say...And whatever amount of the original wax film-layer
is left after a thorough wash/dry-session...
I contend: Has never interferred (as far as I've ever been able to document)
with any successive wax film-layer(s) that I've applied to a vehicle.

Now in this particular wax-scenario of yours:
-You have: '2 original' wax-coats/layers.

-I highly suspect that the Souveran paste wax will be the film-layer most deteriorated by the end of ~3-4 weeks.

-I also suspect that there will be a certain film-layer amount of Collinite #915 that will have survived.
(even possibly some Souveran too)

-Anyway...After performing your car-washing/drying session:
-Apply your selected car-wax to a "test-spot" area to personally see if you can detect any problems with the:
'new wax film-layer'...not playing nicely...with this test-spot's area.
-You'll know straightaway your next course of action!!

Of course...These are JMO...Y&EEMMV.

:)

Bob

Thank you Bob, always appreciate the help. You guys go a long way with the help and advice.

Qusai
01-24-2013, 05:32 PM
Just topping will work fine for several coats. With many layers over the course of several months, the paint color won't be a rich and metal flake won't pop the same as with a single coat.

You may kick yourself when it comes time to strip everything off.

Lol ill watch out for that. I don't want to overdo it now.

Qusai
01-24-2013, 05:35 PM
How does one know when a new film of lsp doesn't bond or play out nicely when it is applied? Like can you visually see it or how can you determine that?