PDA

View Full Version : Chrome wheel issue

Bigds2012TT
01-24-2013, 10:51 AM
I rinsed my wheel with water then I used CG Diablo gel cut 3:1 and agitated with Daytona jr brush, then rinsed. And did the step again. I dried off with a clean mf towel and noticed all these fine scratches everywhere. I used a little optimum metal polish and still a little dull in some of the cracks and the scratches. 1527715278
They look great but up very close you can see the dullness in certain areas and I cannot get them to shine up.

DaveT435
01-24-2013, 11:16 AM
I only use the Daytona brush on the barrels of the wheels...never on the face. I'm not saying the brush did it but that seems to be a pretty stiff and sharp bristle to be using on the face of a wheel.

Mike Phillips
01-24-2013, 11:26 AM
Chrome is really hard. I don't think the bristles of a wheel cleaning brush would scratch chrome.

Take the metal polish and rub just a little to an area already scratches but in a different direction than the scratches and see if the metal polish is instilling the swirls?

Could it be the chrome was already scratched?

:dunno:

Bigds2012TT
01-24-2013, 12:19 PM
Since I have been addicted to AG and really reading and buying products I have not noticed until now. It's very possible they were already there. Probably the brake dust and road grime that people before me had done to the wheels. But I had no idea chrome could scratch that easy. It's a new truck but was in the wrong hands before I got it. long story short the dealers "detail crew" severely marred and hologramed my paint just to get a few little scratches out. They then sent the truck to an outsourced detailer here in OKC that used 3m products and got most of the damage out. Still a lot of swirls and imperfections and now my very bad OCD is killing me and I'm actually scared to wash my truck using the 2bm or the GDWM. So I actually have not done anything but just a little test on the rear door pillars where I debaged emblems. I'm afraid of causing more swirls and afraid to touch it anymore with my UDM to correct it because I don't have a meter to tell me how much I actually have to work with to fix the truck. 2012 Toyota Tundra black (202). I've read everything on this forum and have EVERYTHING to do a detail but scared to hurt this paint anymore.

Rsurfer
01-24-2013, 01:50 PM
I don't think that the previous detailer took off so much clear that you are in danger of burning through with a DA. Do as Mike alway's suggests and do a small test section and see what is needed to correct the problem. Toyota has soft clear, so it shouldn't take anything to aggressive to correct the marring.

Bigds2012TT
01-24-2013, 04:17 PM
Menz 4500 w/ a blue CCS pad worked great on the area I did try. Just not sure how or why my chrome wheels got scratched like that.

FUNX650
01-24-2013, 05:57 PM
Just not sure how or why my chrome wheels got scratched like that.
-It's a shame your chrome wheels now have scratches. :(

-Try to always have a protective layer of wax/sealant/Coating on them from now on...
in order to avoid having the underlying nickle-plating becoming compromised.

Also...
-Please take a conscientious effort to use extreme caution if you decide to try
to polish-out the scratches in your chromium-plated wheels.

The "thickness" of decorative chromium-plating is only ~ .00001”-.00003”.

:)

Bob

Bigds2012TT
01-24-2013, 06:12 PM
I won't attempt to polish the scratches out. They are hard to see and I will seal them with my PB wheel sealant or some BFWDPS this weekend if I can.

FUNX650
01-24-2013, 06:28 PM
I won't attempt to polish the scratches out. They are hard to see and I will seal them with my PB wheel sealant or some BFWDPS this weekend if I can.

That's an excellent plan!! :props:

:)

Bob