PDA

View Full Version : Protecting wheels in winter from scratches etc.?

Radster1986
01-24-2013, 08:26 AM
I have clear coated alloy wheels on my new car, I am not too concerned about protecting them with a product, thats the easy part. But is there anything I could buy or use that will help prevent them from getting all scratched up in deeper snow and from the salt/debris on the road? I have thought of just buying a couple rolls of painters tape and just taping them up until the snow season is over. I know that sounds really stupid, but its the only idea I am coming up with as of now, besides buying a set of steelies, but thats not in the budget right now.

heres a pic of the wheel, not sure if it makes a difference, but its a reference point.

Kia Rio picture # 182 of 193, Wheels / Rims, MY 2012, 800x600 (http://www.netcarshow.com/kia/2012-rio/800x600/wallpaper_b6.htm)

BobbyG
01-24-2013, 08:46 AM
There's nothing foolish about protecting your investment!

While painters tape would provide a protective layer I'm afraid it wouldn't stay on very long...

Hard costings such as Optimum Opti-Coat or CarPro CQuartz are about the best you can do in terms of protection against scratches...

Radster1986
01-24-2013, 08:57 AM

While painters tape would provide a protective layer I'm afraid it wouldn't stay on very long...

Hard costings such as Optimum Opti-Coat or CarPro CQuartz are about the best you can do in terms of protection against scratches...

Unfortunately I wont be having my CQuartz applied until mid March :(

Somewhere I read Plasti Coat can be a temp coating, but Ive heard mixed things about how it comes off and if it would effect whats underneath it i.e. etching the clear coat and whatnot.

I also saw some vinyl inlays for the wheels on fleaBay, but they were rather pricey at 70 bucks to just stay on for a few months

'03 Ram 5.9
01-24-2013, 08:59 AM
I use Plasti Dip on my rims. I know there is concern about how it comes off but I can tell you first hand that it peels right off with no issues. there are lots of youtube videos out there showing how its done.

Radster1986
01-24-2013, 09:01 AM

I use Plasti Dip on my rims. I know there is concern about how it comes off but I can tell you first hand that it peels right off with no issues. there are lots of youtube videos out there showing how its done.

Would this be an ok option to coat them temporarily just for the winter? It wont etch into the clear coat of the wheels or damage the finish will it?

'03 Ram 5.9
01-24-2013, 09:19 AM
I've had my plasti dip on for about a year now. off and on. and I have never had any issues with the clear coat. my rims are the dodge ram 20" flower pedals so it's a pretty good sample size

Audios S6
01-24-2013, 09:25 AM
If you live in a snowy climate it is well worth the expense to get dedicated snow tires, in which case you would also have dedicated wheels to put the snow tires on. The wheels could be as simple as steelies, or use your stock wheels for winter and get a nicer set for summer. In any case, you can expect some damage to the winter set.

The best kind of winter wheels would be something with large opening between the spokes that allow you to easily remove any snow built up in the barrel.

BobbyG
01-24-2013, 09:25 AM
Would this be an ok option to coat them temporarily just for the winter? It wont etch into the clear coat of the wheels or damage the finish will it?

Yes!

I forgot about some of the spray on coatings like Plasti Dip. I've used clear Plasti Dip to protect the front fascia on my Z06 Corvette when on a long trip...:props:

These go on so easy and provide a thick coating to keep these expensive wheels looking their best. In fact, if you do decide to Opti-Coat your wheels I would still consider Plasti Dip for winter protection...:props:

07gtcs
01-24-2013, 10:38 AM
[QUOTE=BobbyG;801666]Yes!

I've used clear Plasti Dip to protect the front fascia on my Z06 Corvette when on a long trip...:props:

I'd like to know how this worked etc. I assume its like a temporary clear bra and your use was to prevent rock chips? How easy does it come off when you arrive at your destination and how do you remove?

This would be great protection for my trip to Sturgis for the Mustang Rally...to eliminate my worry about rock chips along the way.

Radster1986
01-24-2013, 12:06 PM
Yes!

I forgot about some of the spray on coatings like Plasti Dip. I've used clear Plasti Dip to protect the front fascia on my Z06 Corvette when on a long trip...:props:

These go on so easy and provide a thick coating to keep these expensive wheels looking their best. In fact, if you do decide to Opti-Coat your wheels I would still consider Plasti Dip for winter protection...:props:
This stuff? 11 oz Spray Plasti DIP New Plastic DIP | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/11-oz-Spray-PLASTI-DIP-NEW-Plastic-Dip-/320658876618?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=510026760112&hash=item4aa8c228ca)

Ya know what I think I remember this coming out years ago as "spray on clear bra" I saw it at an OLLIES outlet, but didnt think to much because thats kind of a junk store. But thats awesome, maybe Ill order some and use it for the wheels and front of the car, salt is MURDER on black paint especially when its flicking up off all the other cars.

I walked outside this morning to a surprise that it had snowed, and almost had a heart attack when I saw all the salt that had been whipped at the side of my car from the salt truck spreader. I looked it up and down pretty close, I didnt see any dings or anything where the salt had hit it, but when I see the weather expecting snow I am going to park in the driveway from now on.

Would the salt truck driving by flicking out the salt have enough momentum to actually damage the paint in the event it made contact??? small dings, chips etc?

rddmxmeth10
01-24-2013, 02:03 PM
This stuff? 11 oz Spray Plasti DIP New Plastic DIP | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/11-oz-Spray-PLASTI-DIP-NEW-Plastic-Dip-/320658876618?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=510026760112&hash=item4aa8c228ca)

Ya know what I think I remember this coming out years ago as "spray on clear bra" I saw it at an OLLIES outlet, but didnt think to much because thats kind of a junk store. But thats awesome, maybe Ill order some and use it for the wheels and front of the car, salt is MURDER on black paint especially when its flicking up off all the other cars.

I walked outside this morning to a surprise that it had snowed, and almost had a heart attack when I saw all the salt that had been whipped at the side of my car from the salt truck spreader. I looked it up and down pretty close, I didnt see any dings or anything where the salt had hit it, but when I see the weather expecting snow I am going to park in the driveway from now on.

Would the salt truck driving by flicking out the salt have enough momentum to actually damage the paint in the event it made contact??? small dings, chips etc?

That's the stuff! I've had it on my wheels for about 8 months now, and it hasnt chipped. I sprayed I believe 3-4 coats on the wheels. Just put a plastic garbage bag over the rotors and calipers so it doesn't get on there.

You can find it in Home Depot or similar locations.