PDA

View Full Version : how many coats of wax?

Pages : [1] 2 3

hulatee
01-24-2013, 02:08 AM
Is there such a thing as too many coats of wax? I have waxed my car three times in the last month. This is on top of Klasse HG sealant. I can see the difference in shine with each application but not a real "pop." My paint is non-clear coat white so gloss depth is hard to get. I use Mothers CG Pure Carnuba.

cleanmycorolla
01-24-2013, 02:32 AM
You can reach the point if diminished returns....where that point is who knows. But it does help in wasting product!

CM8 6MT
01-24-2013, 03:23 AM
You can reach the point if diminished returns....where that point is who knows. But it does help in wasting product!

I agree. Your just wasting product. Also, I know you meant Mothers California Gold, but around here the acronym "CG" usually refers to Chemical Guys.

OMRebel
01-24-2013, 06:06 AM
If you're using the Mother's Cleaner Wax you're taking some of the old layer off each time you wax.

FUNX650
01-24-2013, 07:27 AM
Here lately...
I've noticed AGO forum member: Klasse Act has been keeping count of how many
"coats" of LSP's that his vehicle is wearing, depicted per his signature line below.

:)

Bob

SON1C
01-24-2013, 07:35 AM
I also believe the pure Nuba has a slight cleaning ability chemically, but as long as you enjoy it, whatever, nothing really wrong, to some you're wasting product but pure gold Nuba is a great wax that's pretty cheap so no worries

Setec Astronomy
01-24-2013, 07:48 AM
As someone used to say on another forum (ok, it was Mosca IIRC) "the best way to get that just-waxed look is to have just waxed"

FUNX650
01-24-2013, 07:56 AM
I also believe the pure Nuba has a slight cleaning ability chemically

Irregardless of the "Brand" that touts their finishing-wax being of pure carnuba wax...
(That also has any cleaning ability, whether it be slight or chemically)...

That would be the ideal time for me to set-aside that particular Brand's so-called finishing-wax...
And find anothers to use.

:)

Bob

BobbyG
01-24-2013, 07:57 AM
Waxing is personal choice and beauty is in the eye of the beholder... Whether a hard wax, soft wax, liquid wax, or spray wax.

After a wash and dry I like to give the finish a once over with a quality spray wax like Optimum Spray Car Wax or Duragloss Aquawax...

mwoolfso
01-24-2013, 08:24 AM
I also believe the pure Nuba has a slight cleaning ability chemically, but as long as you enjoy it, whatever, nothing really wrong, to some you're wasting product but pure gold Nuba is a great wax that's pretty cheap so no worries

I have to apologize to all members who read this up front. I don't like coming across negative, rude, insensitive or arrogant, but I am a guy who has principles. I do not like it at all in a faceless forum where people just say things w/o checking their facts first. I APOLOGIZE. ;-) Please forgive me folks.

Now, that out of the way. Why not spend the additional 45 seconds, go to the manufacturer web site, and verify a suspicion before you post it? Sonic's statement is clearly not fact-based at all.

I have used Mother's CG 3-step process. The Pure Nuba is Step 3. My first thought after reading this was that there was NO WAY Mother's CG Step 3 would have any cleaning ability. If it did it would negate this line's cleaning system; since Step 2, a sealant, would be negatively affected. So I did some research before I posted this.

Within 25 seconds I found this URL. Read this, NO CLEANERS --->>>>

Mothers® California Gold® Pure Brazilian Carnauba Wax–Step 3 (http://www.mothers.com/02_products/05550-05750.html).

Have a nice day.

mwoolfso
01-24-2013, 08:33 AM
Is there such a thing as too many coats of wax? I have waxed my car three times in the last month. This is on top of Klasse HG sealant. I can see the difference in shine with each application but not a real "pop." My paint is non-clear coat white so gloss depth is hard to get. I use Mothers CG Pure Carnuba.

Personally, I would say after 2-3 coats of any LSP (finishing wax or sealant) you have maximized the paint's gloss and depth with respect to the products you have used. The LSP layer is like a mirror more or less. It is going to show the paint's condition as well as how well the it was prepared for the LSP.

With white paint, depth is extremely hard to achieve because the all colors in the visible light spectrum overwhelms and bombards a human's retina. It's actually the opposite of black, where you can see really deep depth in paint, all that depth is attacking your retina with white paint. Have you ever turned away from anything white because of the glare? Even in the slightest? If so, then you have experienced the sensation.

That aside, here is an article that may be of interest to you.

DODO JUICE FORUMS • View topic - Colour Charging 2... no hype, no BS, just the TEST RESULTS (http://dodojuice.com/juicebar/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2011)

SON1C
01-24-2013, 08:59 AM
Because I'm on my phone bud, have you ever used this product? I have
It's obviously non abrasive but many waxes contain solvents that chemically clean the surface

No need to be a little kid about it, just say that you think it has no cleaning capabilities and link to your support, so with that said, thanks Allstar ;) lol

watson1000
01-24-2013, 11:12 AM
Back when I was younger and more time on my hands /didn't know any better I would wax my car every time I washed it. The car was a dark metallic blue mustang and it was washed every 2-3 days in the spring /summer /fall .I couldn't tell you how many coats of wax was on the car ,but it was a lot. I remember one summer that the surface was so slick when someone went to lean on my car they would slide off ,funny as hell . The wax I used at the time was Rain dance , ahh the good old days . lol

Watson

RZJZA80
01-24-2013, 11:26 AM
2 coats to get full coverage, if you feel you didn't the first time, is enough. Multiple coats of wax have not given me any better durability than just one coat or even two.

ihaveacamaro
01-24-2013, 11:48 AM
Todd over at autopia tested with proper tools and said that your greatest return is at two coats. After that, the third coat seemed to slightly diminish the overall thickness.