PDA

View Full Version : Steamer leaving residue?

top189h
01-23-2013, 11:43 PM
Recently I did a 2002 malibu and a 2004 chevy 2500, I did a full steam on both cars. It's only a household steamer and I only use distilled water. I did both cars and had no problems except on the window switches on both drivers doors. These switches are black textured and after steaming there was some sort of white residue... the strange thing was that it didnt happen to any of the other switches on either car. I ended up using some leather conditioner on them as cg vrp didn't conceal it and apc+ didn't remove it. After conditioning it, I used apc+ to clean it again and the residue was gone. Has anyone else seen anything like this?

Pureshine
01-24-2013, 12:22 AM
I have a Dupray and have never had this problem. Not sure what caused it maybe some else will chime in.

AutowerxDetailing
01-24-2013, 12:52 AM
I've heard of this happening from a steamer but I have never seen it first hand. Something to do with a specific type of plastic used on the switches. Glad you were able to restore them with not too much trouble!

jwgreen6
01-24-2013, 01:16 AM
I had a similar problem using a Wagner 905 on a 99 Dodge Caravan's interior on the front passenger door. The only solution was to use an APC and then treat with a plastic dressing.

I wasn't sure if the steamer left the residue (I used distilled water) or if the plastic was starting to "bloom" (like old chocolate bars). I didn't have any other problems like that in the van, so I think it was a problem unique to the door panel.

top189h
01-24-2013, 08:46 AM
Thanks everyone, it just really threw me off because I've never had it happen to my truck