PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Interior Trim w/ Menzerna

CM8 6MT
01-23-2013, 07:15 PM
While most enthusiasts are more concerned about their paint, what about interior? Your not a true detailer until you master both exterior & interior surfaces on a vehicle.

Today im going to be using the Menzerna SF4500 to polish my interior trim on my Accord V6 6 speed. Being that the entire Menzerna line is available to me OTC, I descided to switch it up a bit and go with some D.A.T products.

The Trim

Below you see the trim in question. Its located below the main storage door and above my shift knob. The bigger lid on the left is just a small storage spot, while the lid on the right is a 12V aux outlet. The scuffs are indicated by the red arrow and run across to the left.
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp230/Diabolic/spots_zps66810aa6.jpg

The Cause

Apparently my wife has been leaving her cell phone there, dragging across as shes driving. Over time it really scuffed up the plastic.

The Solution

Before I got into machine polishing, I did all my work by hand. Once I picked up a D/A, it was a breeze because In my head I knew what was going on when polishing/compounding. I was just able to do what I was doing by hand MUCH faster.

In a confined space like this, you have no other option then working by hand. I went ahead and polished with the Menzerna SF4500, doing about 2-3 passes with my index & middle finger using a MF towel.

After polishing you can see in the picture below, the results are much better. You can faintly see a little bit of the scuffing left.
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp230/Diabolic/spot2_zps304ba224.jpg

Finishing Touch

I went ahead and used Mothers Brazilian Carnuba Cleaner Wax to further clean up the area.
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp230/Diabolic/spot3_zps236072a4.jpg

The Results

After buffing off, I sealed the area with the Menzerna Power Lock. I think the results look pretty descent.
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp230/Diabolic/spot4_zps6e67bfe3.jpg

Let me know what you guys think!

Mazda.Mark
01-23-2013, 07:44 PM
I dig it! Great look. I'm thinking of just wrapping mine since mine is scratched up.

psynx
01-23-2013, 07:54 PM
i like those CF pieces, i remember my friend's accord had them too i thought they were vinyl wraps. Nice job!
why did you decide to use mothers cleaner wax? and Menz PL

P.S. i miss my 6 Speed knob like your on my FA5 :(

cartman57
01-23-2013, 07:56 PM
The Cause

Apparently my wife has been leaving her cell phone there, dragging across as shes driving. Over time it really scuffed up the plastic.

Let me know what you guys think!

Looks great!! :dblthumb2: 2 finger polish technique:props:
Now her phone will glide with ease all over!!

CM8 6MT
01-23-2013, 08:04 PM
i like those CF pieces, i remember my friend's accord had them too i thought they were vinyl wraps. Nice job!
why did you decide to use mothers cleaner wax? and Menz PL

Thanks! I like using Mother's cleaner wax, its a very versatile product. I picked up a few samples of the Menzerna line for a client's Mercedes that ill be working on. I figured, eh lets try something else today :)

Looks great!! :dblthumb2: 2 finger polish technique:props:
Now her phone will glide with ease all over!!

LMAO

Marc08EX
01-23-2013, 08:39 PM
You're definitely crazy for polishing your interior pieces. But who could blame you if you're a true detailer. I would probably do the same if I have painted interior trim.

Are you planning to use SF4500 on the paint any time soon?

Cool 6MT shift knob you got there!! :D

Don't s2k's come with that shift knob too?

CM8 6MT
01-23-2013, 08:42 PM
You're definitely crazy for polishing your interior pieces. But who could blame you if you're a true detailer. I would probably do the same if I have painted interior trim.

Ive used SF4500 on the paint before, after polishing with M205, did not see a significant difference.

Yeah S2K's come with the same shift knob.

Marc08EX
01-23-2013, 08:47 PM
Ive used SF4500 on the paint before, after polishing with M205, did not see a significant difference.

Glad to hear that! I was originally planning to use SF4500 after M205. Maybe I don't have to anymore. Thanks.

cardaddy
01-23-2013, 10:40 PM
What is the STYX song? .... "Too much time on my hands".... :D

When I first started reading I thought you were gonna' say you took the console apart and hit it with the 4" pads. :laughing:

Good job dude! ;)

CM8 6MT
01-23-2013, 10:44 PM
What is the STYX song? .... "Too much time on my hands".... :D

When I first started reading I thought you were gonna' say you took the console apart and hit it with the 4" pads. :laughing:

Good job dude! ;)

Haha! Thanks dude, removing the center console would be too much I think :D

psynx
01-23-2013, 10:56 PM

yea its leather wrapped s2k's are black engraved and the Si are red engraved.

same design just different color :xyxthumbs:

CM8 6MT
01-23-2013, 11:20 PM
yea its leather wrapped s2k's are black engraved and the Si are red engraved.

same design just different color :xyxthumbs:

Really the Si's are engraved red? I was under the assumption that only the Acura TSX 6 speeds where the only ones with red engraved shift patterns. Learn something new everyday :D

Marc08EX
01-23-2013, 11:35 PM
Yeah I didn't know that s2k's have black engravings. I thought all 6MT shift knobs with that design have red engravings.

PerfecTouch AD
02-05-2013, 10:19 AM
Good info great work guys