PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to replace my PC 7424xp...GG DA vs Rupes Bigfoot?

Pages : [1] 2

Caleb@ImpeccableImage
01-23-2013, 02:36 PM
Hey everyone. I'm in need of your advice. I'm wanting to sell and replace my PC 7424xp with a better, more powerful unit. I'm not bashing the pc by any means as it helped me learn this art form of detailing but I find myself at times needing something more powerful. I really would like a 3rd gen Griots DA but have been seeing people talking about this Rupes Bigfoot on here. I had never heard of it before. The only DA I found they make is the LHR 21ES but I noticed it had the same powered motor as the PC. Is the Rupes superior to the PC and what makes it so good? Pros and cons etc? From what it looked like I would have to use the Rupes pads. All info and advice would be appreciated. Thank you :)!

DaC
01-23-2013, 02:49 PM
Well, the Rupes will get compared more to the Flex 3401 than to a PC....
Rupes costs over $350... I don't know if there's a point to compare it to a PC or GG v3.

I had a GG v2 and now a Megs G110v2.
The GG v2 was more powerful and will be more powerful than a PC and also will correct faster.
But at least the v2 vibrated a lot and was on the heavy side to my taste so I feel more comfortable with the g110v2

Actually the Rupes will be compared by many to a Rotary with a Dynabrade Head attached (this is what I use right now along with the g110v2).

Now the short answer....
I don't have a Rupes, but from what I've read it will correct way faster than a GG v3 and be way more comfortable for sure. But also cots wayyyyy more.

They also have the Rupes LHR15E

Caleb@ImpeccableImage
01-23-2013, 03:00 PM
Well, the Rupes will get compared more to the Flex 3401 than to a PC....
Rupes costs over $350... I don't know if there's a point to compare it to a PC or GG v3.

I had a GG v2 and now a Megs G110v2.
The GG v2 was more powerful and will be more powerful than a PC and also will correct faster.
But at least the v2 vibrated a lot and was on the heavy side to my taste so I feel more comfortable with the g110v2

Actually the Rupes will be compared by many to a Rotary with a Dynabrade Head attached (this is what I use right now along with the g110v2).

Now the short answer....
I don't have a Rupes, but from what I've read it will correct way faster than a GG v3 and be way more comfortable for sure. But also cots wayyyyy more.

They also have the Rupes LHR15E

Very interesting. Sounds really awesome if it can correct faster than a GG DA with less power. I did not see the LHR15E on the rupes website. What's the difference between it and the 21? Prices aren't listed on there either. Not sure where the best place to purchase one would be if I went that route. Am I limited to only the rupes pads with those units?

RaskyR1
01-23-2013, 03:05 PM
Both are capable tools but if your budget allows I would go with the Rupes. It will yield faster correction (not way faster, but definitely a noticeable difference IME) and the user comfort will be much better as well (much less vibration). There are 3 main Rupes tools people are getting...

LHR75 (tiny 3" air powered unit that rocks!)
LHR15 - 5" DA with a 15mm throw, the smoother and more versatile of the two big guns)
LHR21 - 6" DA wit ha 21mm throw, still very smooth, slightly faster correction, but can be limited on tight panels.

I just received my LHR15 from Kevin Brown last night so now I have all 3. :props:

Caleb@ImpeccableImage
01-23-2013, 03:10 PM
That is awesome. Thank you do much. The LHR15 would be what I would want then. Do I only have to use the rupes pads or could I use my megs microfiber pads too. Where is the best website to purchase these units? Thank you both for your help.

DaC
01-23-2013, 03:11 PM
Very interesting. Sounds really awesome if it can correct faster than a GG DA with less power. I did not see the LHR15E on the rupes website. What's the difference between it and the 21? Prices aren't listed on there either. Not sure where the best place to purchase one would be if I went that route. Am I limited to only the rupes pads with those units?

Search for Kevin Brown and Rupes on google...

Both are capable tools but if your budget allows I would go with the Rupes. It will yield faster correction (not way faster, but definitely a noticeable difference IME) and the user comfort will be much better as well (much less vibration). There are 3 main Rupes tools people are getting...

LHR15 - 5" DA with a 15mm throw, the smoother and more versatile of the two big guns)
LHR21 - 6" DA wit ha 21mm throw, still very smooth, slightly faster correction, but can be limited on tight panels.

I just received my LHR15 from Kevin Brown last night so now I have all 3. :props:

Rasky... now that you're here and already pointed it's not "way faster".... so the king of the DA hill for correction speed would still be the DB + Rotary combo ?

RaskyR1
01-23-2013, 03:12 PM
That is awesome. Thank you do much. The LHR15 would be what I would want then. Do I only have to use the rupes pads or could I use my megs microfiber pads too. Where is the best website to purchase these units? Thank you both for your help.

You can use any pads you like but the Rupes are pretty nice. Megs MF finishing pads is what I've been using for cutting and they work great! You don't need a lot of pressure either. :props:

Caleb@ImpeccableImage
01-23-2013, 03:16 PM
Thank you so much! Looks like I'll be saving for a Rupes! It's tax return time too haha :)

RaskyR1
01-23-2013, 03:16 PM
Search for Kevin Brown and Rupes on google...

Rasky... now that you're here and already pointed it's not "way faster".... so the kind of the DA hill for correction speed would still be the DB + Rotary combo ?

To be honest I only used my DB attachment a few times and it was hard for me to get used too. With the little that I did use it, I would have to give the edge to the Rupes in terms of correction and it a lot lighter and smoother too. ;)

Rsurfer
01-23-2013, 03:17 PM

:iagree:You can get the Rupes from Kevin Brown (Buff Daddy) or Detailers Domain.

Bamafire
01-23-2013, 03:17 PM
I would keep the PC as a back-up. Can't go wrong with rupes.

DaC
01-23-2013, 03:29 PM
To be honest I only used my DB attachment a few times and it was hard for me to get used too. With the little that I did use it, I would have to give the edge to the Rupes in terms of correction and it a lot lighter and smoother too. ;)

Well.... I'd be thrilled if you felt like doing a side by side on both..... :buffing: :poke:

The DB combo really takes you to get used to it, although I've only used it 1 time so far, I can tell it's very different from using a lighter machine...
I do think although it's heavier, it has considerable less vibration than a GG or G110v2... specially with 6.5" pads (this was the biggest I've tested on it).
But the weight makes up for some of the additional comfort.... my wrists did were in pain on the next 2 days.... but I think I can get used to it and find a way to relief the weight a little...
... a little weight lifting could also help.... :laughing:

The Rupes must be a butter to work with....... I wish I could test one.

I would keep the PC as a back-up. Can't go wrong with rupes.

Very true... don't sell your PC.... you might regret you did someday (maybe on the very next detail). :dblthumb2:

RLucky82
01-23-2013, 10:44 PM
Very true... don't sell your PC.... you might regret you did someday (maybe on the very next detail). :dblthumb2:

Like say you decide to help a friend with his car you can get done much faster if you put the PC in his hands :-)

DaC
01-23-2013, 10:52 PM
Or if you decide to help a friend with his car you can get done much faster if you put the PC in his hands :-)

Another good reason! :dblthumb2:

Caleb@ImpeccableImage
01-24-2013, 08:09 AM
Like say you decide to help a friend with his car you can get done much faster if you put the PC in his hands :-)

Thats a good point lol.