PDA

View Full Version : Seat removing?

myshoesorcar
01-23-2013, 10:27 AM
Just wondering how many detailers remove seats to clean, and is there any instruction manual to use?

SuperiorAutoLLC
01-23-2013, 11:33 AM
Just wondering how many detailers remove seats to clean, and is there any instruction manual to use?

If the customer orders a full interior cleaning and there are stains under the seats, then absolutely, yes I remove them. I use an air ratchet and unbolt 4 bolts, one on each side, then disconnect the wire harness (if it's a powered seat) and the seatbelt harness then take the seat out. It's very, very easy to do. The wires just plug into each other, it's not like you're ripping apart individual wires or anything.

In my opinion, that's the only way to get results the customer will love.

Pureshine
01-23-2013, 12:06 PM
If the customer orders a full interior cleaning and there are stains under the seats, then absolutely, yes I remove them. I use an air ratchet and unbolt 4 bolts, one on each side, then disconnect the wire harness (if it's a powered seat) and the seatbelt harness then take the seat out. It's very, very easy to do. The wires just plug into each other, it's not like you're ripping apart individual wires or anything.

In my opinion, that's the only way to get results the customer will love.
I do if the interior is very dirty or if there are stains under the sets and yes its very easy todo.

Buggy Bath
01-24-2013, 12:49 AM
It is pretty easy to do. But I would only do it if there is a stain or odor that is under the seat. Otherwise just use an air hose and blow all the crap out from under it.

AutowerxDetailing
01-24-2013, 01:01 AM
You can usually find diagrams online for that specific seat type. The only thing that usually scares me is popping off the plastic covers for the seat tracks. I'm always nervous one will snap and break.

Most seats have a far enough range of motion that you can do a 100% good job without removing them. I pull seats on vans by default because they typically just pop right out. Also, unless there is something liquid that has stained near the track or under the seat you shouldn't have to remove them to get everything clean. :xyxthumbs:

One thing to note: on newer cars it is recommended to disconnect the battery before disconnecting the wiring harness on a power seat due to the airbag sensors. This can be troublesome especially if the car is equipped with a GPS because it will be disabled until an unlock code is entered. This happened to me once and I called the dealer to get it reset but there was also a customer enabled code (car was used) that the client didn't know. They weren't upset but it was a hassle for them and I felt bad that they had to go back to the dealer to get it reset just because I had to pull the seats to clean.

TL/DR: If you disco the battery to pull seats make sure you have the GPS/radio unlock code before hand.

flamed03vert
01-25-2013, 08:21 AM
to go hand in hand with what Nick said, if you do not disconnect the the battery on a lot of the new cars with the seat air bags, it will set an airbag code that can only be cleared by the dealer if you unplug the connections from the seat. It happened on my Mini, so I am speaking from first hand experience.

FUNX650
01-25-2013, 10:54 AM
to go hand in hand with what Nick said, if you do not disconnect the the battery on a lot of the new cars with the seat air bags, it will set an airbag code that can only be cleared by the dealer if you unplug the connections from the seat. It happened on my Mini, so I am speaking from first hand experience.

-It's good to have your own OBD II diagnostics-tool for:
'Detailing-times' like these...

-They are relatively inexpensive.
Most auto-parts stores carry them.

-This is mine from Harbor Freight...
(pretty daggone good!...I'll add)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/OBDII-2.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/54690)

:)

Bob

rider9195
01-25-2013, 11:02 AM
Just be careful what seats you take out. With some Volvo's the airbag light can only be turned off with Volvo specific software, Vida Dice. Which most usually requires a trip to the dealer.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

ride5150
01-25-2013, 07:08 PM
personally i never removed seats, even if theres a stain that goes under them. with the right tools like an assortment of brushes, i feel that i can get in anywhere. a carpet extractor nozzle will not fit under a seat of course, so i use repeated applications of the "spray and wipe" method.

flamed03vert
01-28-2013, 08:19 AM
-It's good to have your own OBD II diagnostics-tool for:
'Detailing-times' like these...

-They are relatively inexpensive.
Most auto-parts stores carry them.

-This is mine from Harbor Freight...
(pretty daggone good!...I'll add)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/OBDII-2.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/54690)

:)

Bob

This would be fine if I owned a "big three" product. Mini is a BMW product, and they have all sorts of nice "dealer only" proprietary bull crap.

Dawnskaybug
03-11-2013, 02:09 PM
Back when I sold cars we used to call roll bars on trucks roll bars. The problem is they offer no roll protection so we HAD to call them light bars. During this discussion our GM mentioned that a VW dealer removed a seat for whatever reason and didn't install the bolts correctly. Car was in an accident bolts failed and the guy ended up suing and winning millions of dollars. Make sure there isnt a torque setting when you re-install the seats and if there is you might want to write it on the invoice as proof. Ie.. Seats removed/reinstalled for carpet shampoo bolts torqued to XX Ft lbs
= no charge