PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable 7424XP

RLucky82
01-23-2013, 05:07 AM
If the pc is only supposed to use 5" pads then why does it ship with 6.5" pads? am I missing something here?

BillE
01-23-2013, 08:32 AM
Think of it this way, new car comes with a AM radio, but you want an AM-FM plus CD player. You have to bite the bullet to get the 'one you want.'

I know that is not the best analogy, but hopefully it makes sense.

You CAN use 6 1/2" pads, but they may not give you the best performance.

Bill

mwoolfso
01-23-2013, 08:36 AM
Porter Cable (the company) changes for no one. ;-)

snowking724
01-23-2013, 08:48 AM
If the pc is only supposed to use 5" pads then why does it ship with 6.5" pads? am I missing something here?

The one in the box or the pad kits from AG? I ordered a kit awhile back with the 6 1/2" pads and did my first correction with them, it went great. A little practice and I had no issues keeping the pads spinning and achieved super results. So, the machine can be used with either size pad with no problems.:buffing:

RLucky82
01-23-2013, 12:47 PM
Thanks, I have been using the 6.5" pads and they have been working great, but now I'm reading that 5.5 and some 5" pads are better or give a nicer finish. If that's the case just wondering why they sell all the kits with 6.5" pads...

Qusai
01-23-2013, 02:41 PM
I believe it is safe to say that you have to put in more work with the 6.5inch pads because the bigger pads tend to stop spinning on you much easier, which means you wont be correcting paint when the pc only jiggles and doesnt spin. I used 6.5 inch pads successfully when i ran out of 5.5 hydro tech pads, but man it is more work on your hands! It is definitely recommended that you get 5.5 to reap the benefits without spending so much time, not to mention you are already using a pc, so if you dont have patience and skill, the pc will be useless to you. You can get same results with both but its your call, i bought my pc with 6.5 pads only too lol..

Qusai
01-23-2013, 02:42 PM
not skill really, lol cuz i didnt have any but *technique. I absorbed information from threads and Mikes articles before getting to work.

hoyt66
01-23-2013, 05:42 PM
It reminds when I got my PC about a year ago. I had the same question. I thought the pad had to be the same size as the backing plate. I thought they must have made a

mistake. Not wanting to wait I took a box cutter and carefully trimmed the pad to fit. LOL I still have them in my arsenal.:dblthumb2: