PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell me what this is and how it happened?

Seth@NWCDetailing
01-22-2013, 08:29 PM
I bought my truck a couple years ago and never really gave any thought on doing a paint correction on it, but now that I'm neck deep in the detailing world, its more than impossible to overlook it everyday I drive it to a job.lol
Anyway can anyone tell me what this is and how this would occur? Also the proper procedure to fix it?
I haven't seen anything like this yet, but I'm sure someone else has

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/WP_000302.jpg

Fishincricket
01-22-2013, 08:32 PM
I've seen what appears to be the same thing on Wrangler hoods.. Someone then has said it was from too much heat from under the hood, but I can't verify that. My worthless couple pesos, anyway.

Setec Astronomy
01-22-2013, 08:33 PM
Yeah, that's some paint crazing. Sometimes that comes from bird poop or a chemical spill, but that somehow looks like it's on top of some bad body filler.

Setec Astronomy
01-22-2013, 08:34 PM
I've seen what appears to be the same thing on Wrangler hoods.. Someone then has said it was from too much heat from under the hood, but I can't verify that. My worthless couple pesos, anyway.

That's awful localized for heat damage, IMO.

swanicyouth
01-22-2013, 10:48 PM
I believe they are called "chicken feet" and they are because the car was improperly painted, often times from the factory. I believe Honda or another Japanese manufacturer had a recall or campaign going for this on certain colors and years. Sorry to inform you, the only way to fix it is a repaint. If your car is still under warranty or somewhat new, I'd be talking to your dealer.

Seth@NWCDetailing
01-22-2013, 11:52 PM
Yeah, that's some paint crazing. Sometimes that comes from bird poop or a chemical spill, but that somehow looks like it's on top of some bad body filler.

Hmm, that's the first time I heard that, but then again you learn something new everyday in here. Thanks!

I believe they are called "chicken feet" and they are because the car was improperly painted, often times from the factory. I believe Honda or another Japanese manufacturer had a recall or campaign going for this on certain colors and years. Sorry to inform you, the only way to fix it is a repaint. If your car is still under warranty or somewhat new, I'd be talking to your dealer.

Its a 94' Mazda pickup lol...Yeah that would be my guess after doing a little more research...And its ALL over the hood and only the hood. So I think I'll just let this one slide since I need a new truck for work anyway. Its a shame, BLACK BETTY has been through thick & thin...

Bates Detailing
01-22-2013, 11:57 PM
Well that is definitely beyond a repair through "detailing". That requires repainting. Crow's feet in a bundle package?!?!?! It will require more than a standard buffing/polishing my friend - sorry to be the barer of bad news :/

Setec Astronomy
01-23-2013, 12:00 AM
Its a 94' Mazda pickup lol...Yeah that would be my guess after doing a little more research...And its ALL over the hood and only the hood. So I think I'll just let this one slide since I need a new truck for work anyway. Its a shame, BLACK BETTY has been through thick & thin...

Oh, I guess I got fooled by that pic into thinking it was just one spot. If it's all over it's likely a heat problem, did someone take the hood liner out by any chance? Doesn't matter, too late now.

Aaryn NZ
01-23-2013, 01:39 AM
Almost certainly your hood has been resprayed at some time & thats the result of poor prep work before painting. We call it crazing down here also. :awman:

Seth@NWCDetailing
01-23-2013, 12:36 PM
Well that is definitely beyond a repair through "detailing". That requires repainting. Crow's feet in a bundle package?!?!?! It will require more than a standard buffing/polishing my friend - sorry to be the barer of bad news :/

lol its all good man, its a 94' so its been through a lot, the front end is going out and I'm tired of doing repair work.. I need a nicer work truck anyway, something worthy.ha

Oh, I guess I got fooled by that pic into thinking it was just one spot. If it's all over it's likely a heat problem, did someone take the hood liner out by any chance? Doesn't matter, too late now.

Yeah I guess I should've stated it being the entire hood.. I don't know the whole story with it I bought it from a dealership as is for $2000, never really gave much thought into asking about it at the time. Was more of a repair man.lol

Almost certainly your hood has been resprayed at some time & thats the result of poor prep work before painting. We call it crazing down here also. :awman:

Thats the conclusion I've come to too. I'm sure it has at some point in the past, it doesnt have history in writing so I have no idea what happen to it. Looks like it has been resprayed though, i also noticed quite a bit of orange peel last night too.
But I'm not real worried anymore now that I'm in the market for a new truck
:xyxthumbs:

tach18k
01-23-2013, 02:38 PM
the 90's were bad on Japanese paint jobs,