PDA

View Full Version : Griot’s Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher 3rd gen or 2nd gen??

Pages : [1] 2 3

Jrocket
01-22-2013, 08:28 PM
about to purchase one of the two.

WHich should I go for?

the 2nd gen or the 3rd gen?

the 2nd gen free pads doesnt interest me as I will be purchasing w/ a 5 inch backing plate.

need opinions quickly only 30 min left on free shipping

CM8 6MT
01-22-2013, 08:40 PM
Get the latest one :)

Jrocket
01-22-2013, 08:41 PM
:bump::pc7424: 20 min left to order

Jrocket
01-22-2013, 08:43 PM
Also what pads are def a must buy

I need for Polishing

applying wax and sealants

and wasnt sure.

I will say the only pad I know I dont need yet is for extreme cutting

Thanks in advance

cleanmycorolla
01-22-2013, 08:43 PM
Dont they have the same internals, just externally different? If so, I'd get the second gen, it's prob cheaper, but same guts, different shell.....may be wrong though

CM8 6MT
01-22-2013, 08:44 PM
I prefer Meg's pads, but LC pads are fine for the casual detailer.

LC pads:

White/Green: Polish

Gray, red, blue, gold: lsp/wax .

Orange: light/medium cut

Yellow: heavy cut

ski2
01-22-2013, 08:49 PM
Dont they have the same internals, just externally different? If so, I'd get the second gen, it's prob cheaper, but same guts, different shell.....may be wrong though

Correct internals are the same.

ihaveacamaro
01-22-2013, 09:01 PM
I have the second gen and I would recommend the third gen. The switches are in super inconvenient locations.

Jrocket
01-22-2013, 09:14 PM
I have the second gen and I would recommend the third gen. The switches are in super inconvenient locations.

Thanks Just placed my order

Went w/ the 3rd gen. only 10 bucks more had them match a competitor and switch out to the 5" backing plate and I had 20 dollars off AG BUCKS plus ordered these pads

Lake Country CCS 5.5 Inch Foam Pads

Orange
White
Green
Gray
Blue
Red

:buffing:

rmagnus
01-22-2013, 10:55 PM
I like LC pads but you should try the CG Hex Pads also very nice. I just demoed LC CCS, CG Hex Pads & LC Hybrid pads on a Flex 3401. All nice pads. Previously used the CCS & Hex pads on a PC and RB.

Jrocket
01-22-2013, 11:01 PM
I like LC pads but you should try the CG Hex Pads also very nice. I just demoed LC CCS, CG Hex Pads & LC Hybrid pads on a Flex 3401. All nice pads. Previously used the CCS & Hex pads on a PC and RB.

Just saw the CG Hex Pads on amazon a 3 pack i believe while I was making a purchase for the CG Carpet drill brush tool. I got free shipping on it... wish I knew about them sooner..

oh well next round Ill purchase a couple .

Thanks for the heads up

cardaddy
01-22-2013, 11:24 PM
Thanks Just placed my order

Went w/ the 3rd gen. only 10 bucks more had them match a competitor and switch out to the 5" backing plate and I had 20 dollars off AG BUCKS plus ordered these pads

Lake Country CCS 5.5 Inch Foam Pads

Orange
White
Green
Gray
Blue
Red

:buffing:

Congrats! You are about to have some serious fun brother. :)
(Hope you got 6X multiples of the white, green & gray at the very least)

Later,

Cardaddy

Jrocket
01-23-2013, 09:32 AM
Congrats! You are about to have some serious fun brother. :)
(Hope you got 6X multiples of the white, green & gray at the very least)

Later,

Cardaddy

Yeah I'm looking forward to it... Doing 2 new clients this weekend

I actually just bought 1 of each.

wanted to try out the LC pads

also planning to place a small order for some CG Hex pads and see what I like best.

Then I will be purchasing more of the pads I prefer to work with

cardaddy
01-23-2013, 11:49 PM
Yeah I'm looking forward to it... Doing 2 new clients this weekend

I actually just bought 1 of each.

wanted to try out the LC pads

also planning to place a small order for some CG Hex pads and see what I like best.

Then I will be purchasing more of the pads I prefer to work with

You are going to do TWO cars this weekend with only ONE pad of a given color? Yikes! :confused:

How are you going to do a test spot to figure out which one works, then pick *that* color to finish? :doh:

Honestly though.... I don't know anyone that does more than a normal sized panel with a pad, pushing one pad through an entire hood or roof is at best dangerous. And can be catastrophic.....

If doing compound, polish, sealant & wax on a coupe I'll go through 15 easy. (2~3 being for sealant & wax)
On an SUV that number goes past 2 dozen!
One step OTOH can get away with maybe 6 to 8 depending on how many swirls can be corrected (well not actually corrected like compounded but at least helped) with a polish/sealant combo product.

Later,

Cardaddy

Big Boi
01-24-2013, 12:52 AM
You are going to do TWO cars this weekend with only ONE pad of a given color? Yikes! :confused:

How are you going to do a test spot to figure out which one works, then pick *that* color to finish? :doh:

Honestly though.... I don't know anyone that does more than a normal sized panel with a pad, pushing one pad through an entire hood or roof is at best dangerous. And can be catastrophic.....

If doing compound, polish, sealant & wax on a coupe I'll go through 15 easy. (2~3 being for sealant & wax)
On an SUV that number goes past 2 dozen!
One step OTOH can get away with maybe 6 to 8 depending on how many swirls can be corrected (well not actually corrected like compounded but at least helped) with a polish/sealant combo product.

Later,

Cardaddy

Wait, how many??????? 2 pads per hood? Wow, I think I need new pads!

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using AG Online