PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with Air Compressor Systems

ProDetail
01-22-2013, 05:13 PM
Ok I have to say that I am a big fan of compressed air power. From blowing out debris from tight spots and vents, to the Tornador, to Meguiars pneumatic headlight restoration kit. Makes life easier, and maintaining a profit alot more feasable. Which is one of the reason I became excited when I found out the garage I'm opening shop in comes with a compressed air system.

I've been trying to find out as much as I can about compressors that would be able to feed this system, and ones that can stand up to repeated all day use. I'm thinking of going with a 2 stage/ 60 gallon setup. Is that going to be strong enough for what I have in mind? Also on select days I have a company coming out for wheel refinishing, so I need something that will be able to keep them going while not interrupting my work, Will I have to get a secondary unit or will that work for both?

The one I have now is a small one just big enough to take car of headlights and minimal use on the interior but I plan on keeping it near by as a backup in case it isn't enough.

Setec Astronomy
01-22-2013, 05:24 PM
I'm confused. The shop you're moving in to has a "compressed air system" but..no compressor? So you're saying there are distribution pipes but no receiver or compressor, I guess. That's not exactly what I would call a "system" but whatever.

You need to focus primarily on horsepower, which you haven't mentioned. The "gallons" is storage, which can be short-term (seconds) replacement for horsepower. Most compressors come packaged with the storage tank (it's called a receiver). Once you get into industrial grade compressors, they are all about the same CFM per HP, so you usually talk in HP. Single stage or two stage is really more about output pressure, if you're going to get up to standard pressures of 100-120 it's going to be a two stage.

You need to calculate what the air consumption of your tools is going to be, how many you want to run at once, etc. to size the compressor. Some other things to think about are noise and whether you need to have some sort of water separator or dryer.

ProDetail
01-22-2013, 07:26 PM
I apologize for "misrepresenting" what I thought was a compressed air system. I was referring to the piping, connectors, ceiling mounted reels and hoses. Now that we have the definition of a "compressed air system" I hope we can get to the main question at hand.

So what your saying is that I was in the right track about the 2 stage motor, but if it's going to be a heavy use system to get something in higher horsepower? The only other set-up I have seen are setups with 10hp and 80 gallon tanks. Should I build it myself with a smaller receiver, and larger horsepower engine?

Setec Astronomy
01-22-2013, 08:21 PM
If you've got reels etc. that's great, but piping is easy and the heart of the system is the compressor.

You need to think about what tools you want to run, what their consumption is, how many you want to run at the same time, etc. Also where will the compressor be? Will the noise affect your work area in any way (telephone calls, thinking, fatigue from high noise levels). Do you need dry air for anything you are doing? What power is available at the compressor location where the existing piping terminates?

SuperiorAutoLLC
01-22-2013, 08:27 PM
Keep in mind that air sanders, polishers and even blow out tools use a lot of air, very quickly. Horsepower and tank size are both important; the larger the better for both in your situation.

I don't know the extent of your air use, but if youre going to have multiple people running multiple tools at once all day long, especially air sanders, you might want to consider a continual run compressor that's outside your shop and plumbed inside. That way you constantly have a solid air supply. This will, however, be a very costly addition.

If that's beyond you're use level, consider maybe a 10hp (at the minimum) and a 125-150 gallon air tank.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Setec Astronomy
01-22-2013, 08:37 PM
SuperiorAutoLLC, that's good advice, but remember the OP is in MA not in FL, hard to put a compressor outside up north unless you've got a pretty good setup to keep the condensate from freezing in the winter. Also have to worry about cold starts on Monday morning, etc.

dchristo
01-22-2013, 08:44 PM
if you're looking at a 10 HP compressor, you will need to make sure your shop has 3 phase power.
7 1/2 HP with a 80 gal tank is about as big as you can get single phase.....which is probably big enough anyway

dad07
01-22-2013, 09:21 PM
You can let your pocketbook be the guide in compressors...........if your going to run multiple tools a 2 stage compressor is in order.

The phase of the electrical service will play a huge role of what you can put in there.( single or 3 phase)

A single phase 80gal 2 stage compressor @ 5 hp will run a small body shop. Add a 3 phase to that and you will almost double your air consumption capabilities.

and you can keep goinig up from there.

I have A single stage,single phase ,5hp 60gal tank compressor in my shop at home and it does what I ask it to do.........BUT I'm not running multiple tools at one time and I rarely run my da(air powered sanding da).

A good 2 stage will run $1000+

2 stage is really the best way if you can afford it and 3phase/2 stage is the cream of the crop(if 3phase is avaiable).

find a GOOD electrician....and pick his brains and find out what is available in your service to see what your options are.

Just thinking aloud here.......