PDA

View Full Version : Nice CG Video on "Clay Mitt"

swanicyouth
01-22-2013, 12:11 PM
http://youtu.be/bKzEz7z7MVo

After seeing this clay mitt in action (looks like same one AG sells) I now pronounce clay dead.

Setec Astronomy
01-22-2013, 12:17 PM
It's funny, isn't it? At one time there had been so much discussion about when the clay patents would run out so clay pricing would go down and the Riccardo-type clay would be available here...but by the time that happens clay will be obsolete due to the Elastrofoam/Magnasponge, Opti-Eraser, Nanoskin, Speedy-Prep, etc.

swanicyouth
01-22-2013, 12:22 PM
It's funny, isn't it? At one time there had been so much discussion about when the clay patents would run out so clay pricing would go down and the Riccardo-type clay would be available here...but by the time that happens clay will be obsolete due to the Elastrofoam/Magnasponge, Opti-Eraser, Nanoskin, Speedy-Prep, etc.

So true. I still want to try that fancy Riccardo clay one day though. Is it the same as Clay Magic? If not, why isn't the patent holder selling it in the USA?

Caleb@ImpeccableImage
01-22-2013, 12:31 PM
Saw this last week. I want one but I dont want to pay that price.

Dr_Pain
01-22-2013, 12:44 PM
Saw this last week. I want one but I dont want to pay that price.

I just saw this and thought WOW! (if it works that well). I did check out the pricing and :eek: but then again, how much would your deductible/co-pay be for the treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome or chronic shoulder tendonitis?

Now what would be interesting to see is a comparison of clay vs. mitt to see how many cars can be done, how effective (thinking time management etc....). If you can only do 4 heavily contaminated cars with one 200 gram clay bar and can do 10 with the mitt, and save time and potential chronic repetitive injuries then it is worth it.

Quick question: We know when the clay needs to be thrown. How would we know when it is time to throw the mitt?

Wors
01-22-2013, 12:49 PM
Quick question: We know when the clay needs to be thrown. How would we know when it is time to throw the mitt?

When the mitt/foam no longer picks up contaminants. Use the baggy test to confirm.

Setec Astronomy
01-22-2013, 01:14 PM
I still want to try that fancy Riccardo clay one day though. Is it the same as Clay Magic? If not, why isn't the patent holder selling it in the USA?

Riccardo is the old Erazer clay which is elastic clay, a competitor to Clay Magic which is plastic (which means the Riccardo is stretchier). Clay Magic is the US patent holder, and enforced their patent preventing sale of the Erazer (or other elastic) clay in the US.

DRT BRD
01-22-2013, 01:30 PM
I just saw this and thought WOW! (if it works that well). I did check out the pricing and :eek: but then again, how much would your deductible/co-pay be for the treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome or chronic shoulder tendonitis?

Now what would be interesting to see is a comparison of clay vs. mitt to see how many cars can be done, how effective (thinking time management etc....). If you can only do 4 heavily contaminated cars with one 200 gram clay bar and can do 10 with the mitt, and save time and potential chronic repetitive injuries then it is worth it.

The pricing on this is perfectly in line with other clay alternatives. BUT, you also need to make note that this also doubles as a wash mitt. How good that side of the mitt for washing really is will have to be determined so you're getting a TWO FOR ONE. Also, CG does a really nice job of running deals/specials or "wacky 1 day deals". Go check the price out now under the NEW PRODUCTS. It's super cheap right now and I'm ordering one of each even though I already have a Speedy Prep towel. That should tell you something.

Also, these should last about 100 cars or so. That's a very relative term and definitely should be based on use, amount of decontamination per car, size etc. You can tell when it starts to go but definitely use the baggie as your last line of defense/test.

umi000
01-24-2013, 04:21 AM
I'm particularly interested in the Opti-Eraser. It seems to use a different material than the other clay replacements (resin rather than that rubbery-looking stuff), the reviews I've read seem to indicate that marring is not an issue (for the fine grade), and to top it all off, it's a lot less expensive than the other alternatives (heck, it's cheaper than most clays).

Anthony@zerboautoworks
02-01-2013, 10:10 AM
Hopefully somebody gets one and does a review on it.

www.zerboautoworks.com