PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Polishes & Opti-Coat 1st timer questions

Radarryan
01-22-2013, 02:48 AM
Hello all,

I have some questions regarding my weekend project. My order of Optimum polishes, Opti-Coat 2.0 and some other assorted goodies just shipped, so I wanted to get the forum's opinion on what I was planning on doing. First, I have the following coming:

-Optimum Polish II
-Optimum Finish Polish
-Optimum Tire Bond
-1Z Einszett Cockpit Premium (for dash & other plastic interior)
-Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0
-Optimum Dual Pro Applicator
-P21S Polishing Soap (for chrome exhaust pipes)
-1Z Einszett Rubber Care Stick (for seals)
-Sonax Wheel Cleaner

My plan is to polish and opti-coat my new 2013 Porsche 911 Cab. It has a clear bra (3M brand PPF) on the entire front clip (up to the doors.) I have only had the car for a little over a month, so it is does not have much in the way of swirls or scratches. The only bit I can see is probably dealer instilled.

My plan of attack is to do what Mike Phillips always says to do: the least aggressive method first (like any of us would ever do anything he didn't recommend!) I plan on using a CCS grey (or black depending on who you talk to) pad with the Optimum Finish Polish across the whole car to take out the fine swirls and scratches and prepare the surface for the Opti-Coat 2.0. In the areas, only one that I can recall, that there are deeper scratches or the occasional RIDS, I was going to use the Optimum Polish II with a CCS white polishing pad and knock out the areas that need it. There are no places in the car where anything more aggressive than this would be needed.

After polishing, the surface will be prepared with a IPA solution as per the Opti-Coat 2.0 instructions. I will be opti-coating all surfaces, including over the clear bra. After, I plan on opti-coating the wheels.

Now some questions for the brilliant car enthusiasts of the forum! First, is my choice of products, including pad selection, correct? Remember, I want the least aggressive method first. Also, what speed should I be applying the Optimum products? Maybe Chris@Optimum or someone else can chime in but all I've seen is a speed in RPM. I have a PC 7424XP. How many section passes should I do with these products? Do they break down/what should I expect?

Is Opti-Coat 2.0 applied to the wheel barrel, or just to the face of the wheel, or is it personal preference? If I use the Optimum Polish II in the selected areas, would I need to follow up with the Finish Polish or would that be overkill? Keep in mind, I have soft (I think, or maybe it's hard, I really have no idea) black Porsche (German) paint, if that factors into the decision.

I am truly sorry for how long this question is but I just want to get it right, the first time. The amount of knowledge contained in this forum is amazing, and I am grateful for everyone's response. Hopefully next week you'll see me post some beautiful pictures of a completely polished out and Opti-Coated Porsche convertible!

Happy Detailing!

Mike Phillips
01-22-2013, 07:42 AM
I plan on using a CCS grey (or black depending on who you talk to) pad with the Optimum Finish Polish across the whole car to take out the fine swirls and scratches and prepare the surface for the Opti-Coat 2.0.

In the areas, only one that I can recall, that there are deeper scratches or the occasional RIDS, I was going to use the Optimum Polish II with a CCS white polishing pad and knock out the areas that need it.

The above is a fairly non-aggressive approach so do a test spot first and make sure you're removing enough defects to your satisfaction.

Even the Polish II and a white polishing pad on a DA is fairly non-aggressive and you may find it a faster approach to get the same results. Just do some testing... top coat hardness is always an unknown variable.

After polishing, the surface will be prepared with a IPA solution as per the Opti-Coat 2.0 instructions. I will be Opti-coating all surfaces, including over the clear bra. After, I plan on Opti-coating the wheels.

Dr. David Ghodoussi told met that as long as you're using his compounds and polishes you can sue a simple water dampened microfiber towel to wipe a painted surface clean before applying Opti-Coat II

If it makes you feel better you can go with the IPA wipe-down though...

Miscible and Immiscible - Wax and Paint Sealant Bonding (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31186-miscible-immiscible-wax-paint-sealant-bonding.html)

How to Mix IPA for Inspecting Correction Results (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31183-how-mix-ipa-inspecting-correction-results.html)

Also, what speed should I be applying the Optimum products?

I have a PC 7424XP. How many section passes should I do with these products? Do they break down/what should I expect?

When using a PC you're always going to be on the highest setting, that is the 6 speed setting to maintain good paint rotation for defect removal.

Doesn't matter one whit what the OPM is for the PC or any of the PC "style" of tools because for all of them with foam pads you want good pad rotation and that means putting the tools on either the 5 or 6 speed setting and with the PC that means the 6 setting.

Is Opti-Coat 2.0 applied to the wheel barrel, or just to the face of the wheel, or is it personal preference?

Both if you want to protect the surface and make washing faster and easier. Do plan on removing each wheel to,

A: Get the wheel really clean
B: To apply the Opti-Coat

If I use the Optimum Polish II in the selected areas, would I need to follow up with the Finish Polish or would that be overkill? Keep in mind, I have soft (I think, or maybe it's hard, I really have no idea) black Porsche (German) paint, if that factors into the decision.

For black paint you should really plan on finishing out with the Finish on a soft foam pad. This will maximize both gloss and clarity of the clear coat.

I am truly sorry for how long this question is but I just want to get it right, the first time.

Never need to apologize for questions on this forum, it's better to ask and know than to not ask and wonder.

The amount of knowledge contained in this forum is amazing, and I am grateful for everyone's response.

Our goal is always top notch customer service be it on the forum or on the phone.

Hopefully next week you'll see me post some beautiful pictures of a completely polished out and Opti-Coated Porsche convertible!

Already looking forward to the pictures...

Happy Detailing!

Always.

:xyxthumbs:

Radarryan
01-22-2013, 04:25 PM
Mike,

What can I say, you are simply amazing! Thank you so much for your response and your advice. Suffice it to say, there is no way I would have known proper technique, product recommendations, etc. without your responses to my post and others like it. Not to mention the countless articles that you have written for our knowledge base and enjoyment. I may be young, both in age and detailing experience, but thanks to you I have knowledge way beyond my years! Thanks again!

Black N' Yellow
01-31-2013, 01:55 AM
Is it safe to apply something like opti-coat over a clear bra?

95oRANGEcRUSH
01-31-2013, 02:00 AM
Is it safe to apply something like opti-coat over a clear bra?

Yes.