PDA

View Full Version : Possible alternative to an IPA wipedown?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

ComradeGrumbles
01-21-2013, 10:38 PM
Greetings oh wise and trustworthy guides of Autogeekonline, :dblthumb2:

I have recently purchased my first DA. A Griot's Garage DA.

I have been detailing by hand for years, doing friends/relatives cars off and on as well. I decided it's time to get a DA and I have been doing extensive research on it for months. My uncle recently purchased a DA as well and has had good results. It certainly will beat my previous attempts at removing swirls by hand. :nomore: Needless to say, "filler" products where my closest friends before this.

I have probably watched 150+ videos on the topic in the last few months, but I still wish I knew more about IPA wipedowns. I know what their purpose is, but I was wondering exactly what concentration of alcohol to water one might put into a spray bottle.

Also, I was wondering if heavily-watered-down Dawn dish washing soap would serve a similar function of an IPA wipedown in removing excess polishing agents before my LSP? I wonder about this because I have Dawn readily available at home. On the other hand, I will have to drive out and buy supplies for an IPA. In which case, I can no longer sit idly at my home whilst detailing my vehicle. :props:

Opinions?

ComradeGrumbles

Eandras
01-21-2013, 10:48 PM
The idea of the IPA wipe down is to remove all polishing oils. Dawn dish washing liquid contains some sort of oil base product. The IPA wipe down would include a spray bottle and 70% rubbing alcohol. You mix water 10 to1 shake then spry and wipe. These items can be purchased on your next shopping run at you local food store.

Remember detailing is a passion for most of us so the added time going to pick up the things we need are not an issue.

Ed

:autowash: : buffing:

AutowerxDetailing
01-21-2013, 10:52 PM
Check out CarPro Eraser. It is designed to strip the paint prior to applying their C.Quartz coating but can be used prior to any LSP. It removes polishing oils and is somewhat lubricated unlike IPA/Water.

ComradeGrumbles
01-21-2013, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. I plan to pick up some IPA supplies next time I'm out. I'll keep the Dawn dedicated to stripping wax pre-polish.

Thanks again,
ComradeGrumbles

cleanmycorolla
01-21-2013, 10:56 PM
Griots garage pre wax cleaner.....35oz bottle is like $10

Sunshyne
01-21-2013, 11:02 PM
Griots garage pre wax cleaner.....35oz bottle is like $10

+1

I bought 4 of them when they were on BOGO a few weeks ago. Good stuff and it works

Fishincricket
01-21-2013, 11:21 PM
Are IPA wipe downs necessary though? I was getting the impression it was only necessary before certain LSP's or after certain compounds/polishes, or to check your work?

dougsrt
01-21-2013, 11:34 PM
I like the groits pre wax cleaner to but missed lt on the bogo ...dang:(

ihaveacamaro
01-21-2013, 11:37 PM
Are IPA wipe downs necessary though? I was getting the impression it was only necessary before certain LSP's or after certain compounds/polishes, or to check your work?

It totally depends on the compound/polish and what LSP you are using.

For example, M105/205 are oily and they absolutely require some IPA or pre-wax cleanser for any LSP.

Optimum Hyper Compound/Polish are water-based and prior to application of Opticoat 2.0, all you need to do is a damp with water MF towel wipedown. No IPA necessary :dblthumb2:

Pureshine
01-21-2013, 11:40 PM
I use Menzerna top inspection it works great but not as cheap as IPA.

cardaddy
01-21-2013, 11:43 PM

Exactly! Not really necessary unless working to find those ellusive random itty bitty hidden things that a compounding might miss. Although..... as has been said some coatings want an oil free base. Seems I remember reading some articles from Mike where he says if it don't say use it, then just don't.

Pureshine
01-22-2013, 12:56 AM
I use something every time just to make sure the sealant or wax bind good with the paint. The other reason to use something is so you see if you missed and spots will polishing and to make sure that all the residue is gone after polishing.

PiPUK
01-22-2013, 04:14 AM
To my mind the obvious answer is a volatile panel wipe (preferably non-polar organic). This will be more effective as a cleaner than IPA, it will not risk surfactant residues as is the case with many formulated cleansers and it is relatively inexpensive and easy to obtain.

Mike Phillips
01-22-2013, 07:27 AM
Here you go...

Miscible and Immiscible - Wax and Paint Sealant Bonding (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31186-miscible-immiscible-wax-paint-sealant-bonding.html)

How to Mix IPA for Inspecting Correction Results (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31183-how-mix-ipa-inspecting-correction-results.html)

The above articles can be found in my article list and shared by simply highlighting and then copying and pasting the links to any thread.

Articles by Mike Phillips (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/23722-articles-mike-phillips.html)

That's why I give each article a blue, clickable link to itself is to empower people to quickly and easily share the link to the article.

:dblthumb2:

ComradeGrumbles
01-22-2013, 09:49 AM
Thanks for all the detailed information Mike! I'm not sure how I didn't find this article before, but it will come in handy now.