PDA

View Full Version : How to keep sprayers working

Boudin
01-21-2013, 09:40 PM
I'm having trouble with the spray nozzles clogging or failing on my meguires endurance tire shine and my optimum hyper polish/compound bottles.

What can I do to make sure they stay functional through the life of the contents?

Btw optimum sent me new sprayers at no cost.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

umi000
01-22-2013, 12:06 AM
Clear the sprayer line after use - turn the bottle upside down, then spray until no more product is released.

Boudin
01-22-2013, 05:25 PM
Thank you

PiPUK
01-23-2013, 05:59 AM
The simple truth is that most manufacturers do not supply sprays which are suitable for products with non-aqueous products. I cannot say for sure on the above because I have not seen them but there are several manufacturers here in the UK supplying heavy solvent products with sprays intended for cosmetic use and they seem to pretty much have an open door replacement policy because they fail so often.

In my view, the spray provided with a product should be able to withstand the product under long term exposure. Unfortunately there is often a factor of 5 or more in cost between budget and solvent resistant sprays so manufacturers clearly favour sending out replacements to the few who complain. If you are in doubt on a spray, do as suggested and make absolutely sure it is cleared out. Ideally I would suggest separating spray from bottle and clearing through the spray with hot soapy water to keep any residue to a minimum.

All the best

Boudin
01-23-2013, 07:51 AM
It's frustrating, especially with the meguires endurance tire shine, how quickly they fail. I do appreciate the info and advice. I like the hot water idea.

Setec Astronomy
01-23-2013, 08:50 AM
Regarding the Optimum spray polishes...Chris@Optimum says "spray it like you mean it!" which I liked so much I made it my signature. I think he meant to give firm, full sprays, rather than tentative ones that partially load up the sprayer barrel. I don't know what the thread was where that was discussed.

EDIT: Here it is, he was talking about GPS: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/47718-have-you-used-optimum-gps.html#post642294