PDA

View Full Version : What would you do about these swirls?

Pages : [1] 2

Yardstick
01-21-2013, 05:12 PM
I was going to give up on this, but it still bugs me so... What would you do to fix the swirls and holograms shown below? It is single stage paint, if that makes a difference. And since it is black, what sealer would you use to make that work last?

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/oo132/Yardst1ck/Vehicles/2012_Tundra/Tundra_Side.jpg

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/oo132/Yardst1ck/Vehicles/2012_Tundra/Tundra_FrontQ1.jpg

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/oo132/Yardst1ck/Vehicles/2012_Tundra/Tundra_UpperBumper.jpg

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/oo132/Yardst1ck/Vehicles/2012_Tundra/Tundra_SidePillar.jpg

Roof
http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/oo132/Yardst1ck/Vehicles/2012_Tundra/Tundra_Roof.jpg

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/oo132/Yardst1ck/Vehicles/2012_Tundra/Tundra_FrontQ2.jpg

thebamboo23
01-21-2013, 05:39 PM
whats the process you're currently using to remove defects?

dchristo
01-21-2013, 05:59 PM
unless you've had your truck repainted, its base coat clear coat

OMRebel
01-21-2013, 06:19 PM
unless you've had your truck repainted, its base coat clear coat

I think black tundras (and white) are single stage.

spiralout462
01-21-2013, 06:20 PM
Assuming you're black Tundra is as soft as my black Tacoma I would use a LC finishing or polishing pad with Meg's 205, Menzerna SF4500, or Wolfgang Finishing Glaze. I have removed swirls with all three, easily.

spiralout462
01-21-2013, 06:22 PM
If you don't have a machine a cleaner wax might help some.

dad07
01-21-2013, 06:29 PM
unless you've had your truck repainted, its base coat clear
coat

that is not entirely true.

There a lot of Toyotas even late models with ss paints.Most Metallics/pearls are bc/cc while basic colors Ie white,black ,red are ss paint.

CM8 6MT
01-21-2013, 06:31 PM

There a lot of Toyotas even late models with ss paints.Most Metallics/pearls are bc/cc while basic colors Ie white,black ,red are ss paint.

^^^ Agree

dchristo
01-21-2013, 06:55 PM

sorry, all Ive ever seen were BC/CC...I guess learn something everyday....thanks

Yardstick
01-21-2013, 09:05 PM
I confirmed with Toyota Motor Sales Co. that it is single stage. I have no tools/producs for paint correction. My last vehicles didn't warrant anything special. This is my first new, straight off the lot vehicle. They delivered it looking about this bad and then tried to fix it, which is what you see in the pics.

I could use recommendations on everything, really. I would like to get the swirls out or at least hidden, then protect the paint with something that will last on a DD in Phoenix, AZ sun. Something else to consider is that I have pretty bad tendinitis in my elbows so I don't know if I could deal with the vibration from a mechanical polisher.

cardaddy
01-22-2013, 01:33 AM
Ooooo, I was going to say you could do a good clay job and just tear at it by hand until I got to the tendinitis. Hmmmmm.....

OTOH, I have severe degenerative disc disease, C4,5,67, T5,6,7 and L4,5,S1,S2 and at times cannot hardly lift my left arm, much less walk. Yet I find working a machine very easy and it allows for a lot of work to be done without a lot of wear-n-tear on the back (all things considered).

Just saying, it's either grab say the GG6 and a couple dozen pads or find a good detailer in your area to correct it. The good part is at least once it's done, with proper washing technique, you should be OK for a year or so. Having the machine however gives you the power to keep it exactly how you like it, and after the first detail it's actually paid for itself. :)

spiralout462
01-22-2013, 01:21 PM
I confirmed with Toyota Motor Sales Co. that it is single stage. I have no tools/producs for paint correction. My last vehicles didn't warrant anything special. This is my first new, straight off the lot vehicle. They delivered it looking about this bad and then tried to fix it, which is what you see in the pics.

I could use recommendations on everything, really. I would like to get the swirls out or at least hidden, then protect the paint with something that will last on a DD in Phoenix, AZ sun. Something else to consider is that I have pretty bad tendinitis in my elbows so I don't know if I could deal with the vibration from a mechanical polisher.

I have severe Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in both wrist. The vibration of the Porter Cable doesn't bother me as much as working by hand. There are products that would hide swirls temporarily (CG Blacklight). My machine and pad investment paid for itself after the first use. I find it nice to be able to correct problems when they happen, which is inevitable on a daily driver. That being said, you may not enjoy polishing paint like myself. If thats the case I would try a quality sealant. Many provide cleaning and filling properties that would make the swirls less noticable.

Yardstick
01-22-2013, 01:47 PM
I'm afraid of overdoing it by hand too. Normally I ride dirtbikes and mountain bike a lot so I'm trying to heal to get back to those activities. Maybe I should try a Scratch X or Swirl X type product to see how hard that would be.

I did get a recommendation for a detailer in my area. What should I expect to pay someone to correct the paint and apply sealant?

I would like to get this truck to a point where it is as low maintenance as possible so I can concentrate on other things (that was the point of buying a Toyota! ;) ).

Bigds2012TT
03-19-2013, 09:05 AM
What year is your truck? I have a 2012 and wondering if it is SS paint.. I need to do a big correction on mine since the dealer hacked away on it. Plus I finally got to wash it last weekend and now I have either mineral spots or hard water spots from it drying way to fast. Alcohol and vinegar wouldnt take the spots off.

ihaveacamaro
03-19-2013, 09:17 AM
I'm afraid of overdoing it by hand too. Normally I ride dirtbikes and mountain bike a lot so I'm trying to heal to get back to those activities. Maybe I should try a Scratch X or Swirl X type product to see how hard that would be.

I did get a recommendation for a detailer in my area. What should I expect to pay someone to correct the paint and apply sealant?

I would like to get this truck to a point where it is as low maintenance as possible so I can concentrate on other things (that was the point of buying a Toyota! ;) ).

at least $300 most likely for a truck that size.

Honestly, if you are up for it, for $300 you can get the right tools to do the job yourself, and then you have experience and even more fun tools. And you know you can never have enough tools ;)

If you do decide this route, I would recommend the Griot's Garage (3rd generation), some LC flat pads (orange and white are probably all you need), some optimum hyper compound and hyper finish. That is a very user friendly combo :)