PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Raptor Vinyl decal help!!! (Please)

Pages : [1] 2

Dr_Pain
01-21-2013, 09:04 AM
I've research the site and found a couple of things that I did try with limited success. I am assuming that what I am dealing with is old "doodoo" wax residue installed by the "stearlership"

I've tried APC (dilute) with mild agitation, but being that it is on a vertical surface it is a bit hard to let enough soaking time. Also tried covering it up with Ultima Tire and Trim, no luck!

Can someone help me figure this pain in the rear. I would like that decal to reflect the rest of the truck.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/photo39.JPG

Fishincricket
01-21-2013, 09:25 AM
What in the world is that?

snowking724
01-21-2013, 09:34 AM
Looks like a giant scuff mark. Do you have any other pics, that may help.

Dr_Pain
01-21-2013, 10:28 AM
My belief is that it is crappy wax. I will be glad to take some other pic. The truck is brand new and was washed and waxed at the dealership, then I have been the only person to touch it. Only used quality product on it.

I have never used a brush or anything harsher than APC and a microfiber to scrub.

It is a big 3M vinyl decal (not paint)

Dr_Pain
01-21-2013, 10:35 AM
Here is another pic...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/photo40.JPG

NickZ28
01-21-2013, 10:49 AM
Maybe it's me, but I'm not seeing anyhting out of the ordinary. The decal looks fine to me...

jdscooby
01-21-2013, 11:13 AM
I think I would be going back to the dealer and having them replace the graphics

ihaveacamaro
01-21-2013, 11:19 AM
Yeah that vinyl is not salvageable. My friend has a matte black vinyl hood... and he is about to take it off. Knowing this, he let me experiment on it. What you are looking at is similar looking to a part of the vinyl after I applied xmt 360 to it.

I would bet that it is wax on that vinyl.

swanicyouth
01-21-2013, 11:25 AM
I hate to to you this but my guess is:

1. You will never know for sure what caused the uneven coloring of the decal.

2. You will only truly be able to fix it by replacing the decal.

At this point, you could try a fine polish on it by hand, as you have little to loose. Why not take the decal off (each side) and see if you like the look without it. That's a solution that cost nothing, if not, you can replace them in a pair.

cartman57
01-21-2013, 11:27 AM
What does the other side look like?
If they're not the same, go back and have them replaced since it's brand new.

dsg03gt
01-21-2013, 11:51 AM
Yeah if its brand new the warranty should cover it.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Chris's FX4
01-21-2013, 12:17 PM
That graphic is $400-$600 for each side depending on who you buy it from.

Should be under warranty though and if not, you'll find out how nice your dealer really is.

Dr_Pain
01-21-2013, 01:11 PM
Other side has the same (not as bad). I feel the decal should be salvageable if I could find a way to get in the texture of the decal with something. I have yet to use brushes or anything else to "scrub", because I am frankly unsure what should be used (technique and product).

There are EXPENSIVE vinyl wraps and I am sure the dealership will try and blame me for it, so doubt the warranty will cover that. Being that they are expensive decals, I am sure the material can take a good amount of elbow grease before being "harmed" but what is safe to use?

Thanks for your input so far

cartman57
01-21-2013, 01:24 PM
Looking at your first pic, it seem to be some type of wipe marks on it.
Who will take responsibility for it and take care of it for you is the real question.
You'll see how accomodating your dealer really is as stated above.

Andr3wilson
01-21-2013, 02:37 PM
Judging from the picture its either something on the vinyl, or a mark in the vinyl.

If its a scuff in it, you wont be able to fix it.

If it is cheap wax, you have two options.
I have done two matte finish cars before, one had bad wax streaking on it; touchless car wash accident. Both were OEM matte; meaning it was a matte clear coat and not a vinyl. The best way to remove oil, wax, and bugs from matte finishes is to use a Matte paint cleanser. Like Swissvax or Dr. Beasley's paint cleanser spray

Matte Paint Cleaner & Stain Remover (http://www.drbeasleys.com/matte-paint-cleanser.html)

or

Swissvax USA: Pre-Cleaner Opaque, 250ml (http://www.swissvax.us/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=swissvax&Product_Code=SE1022012&Category_Code=MATT-PAINT)

Because claying a matte finish is like claying sand paper, you need a spray to break everything down. I use Swissvax, but I am sure the Dr. Beasley's one is good too.

Your other option is to try a bit of Eraser on it. Dont use an IPA because that will ruin the vinyl.

I haven't tried Eraser on vinyl, but I have on a Matte Clear coat before. I dont see it ruining the Vinyl, but be careful and use this as a last resort option.

To make this go away, you want to use anything that leaves a residue behind.