PDA

View Full Version : What Collinite 845 will NOT do.......

mwoolfso
01-21-2013, 05:46 AM
There are some people here who believe Collinite 845's solvent content will strip an LSP is applied over it. This thread is meant to either prove or disprove that working theory, hopefully once and for all.

I bring to you a thread from 2010....

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/23199-layer-collinite-845-over-sealant-3.html

and I quote.....

Got a reply from a chemist at Collinite this morning:

"Thanks for your email. I don't believe that you would have to worry about
the solvent content of #845 Liquid Insulator Wax would strip an existing
coat of wax or sealant. Say by chance you had to remove a coat of Collinite
from the car because it needed body work, you would need to use prep-solv to
completely remove the wax. I haven't received any complaints from detailers
or customers regarding the wax "stripping" a previous coat of wax or
sealant. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further information."

Anyone with information directly from Collinite that says otherwise should post it here. Thanks in advance!

BobbyG
01-21-2013, 06:14 AM
Good Information, thanks for posting!! :props:

Setec Astronomy
01-21-2013, 06:27 AM
But that reply is (mostly) saying that you need Prep-Sol to remove a Collinite product...we know that there are other products that would be easier to remove than Collinite.

BobbyG
01-21-2013, 06:56 AM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...sealant-3.html (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/23199-layer-collinite-845-over-sealant-3.html)

Also from this thread....

"As both Dr. G and the Collinite folks pointed out about their own products, it appears the solvents are a moot point. Dr. G. says after sufficient time for crosslinking to occur his product won't be adversely affected by 845. The Collinite folks offer that the solvents in 845 aren't self-stripping, leading one to believe actual layering will occur. Maybe I'm just goofy but I tend to think the manufacturers probably know more about the products they make than anyone else."

For good reason we relate the term solvent to dissolve thus concluding that the solvents in Collinite will dissolve nearly any coating it's applied to. What we fail to realize, because most here aren't chemists, when a product dries or cures, reapplication of the same product, the previous product will go unaffected....

FUNX650
01-21-2013, 08:33 AM
A few of the many names (aliases) for: Petroleum Distillates...CAS#64742-47-8
-Distillates (Petroleum), Hydrotreated Light
-Low odor paraffinic solvent
-Naphthenic solvent
-Dearomatized kerosine
-Deodorized kerosene

Believe it or not...
Many, many, many car care products have this solvent as one of their ingredients.

So, I ask myself:

What is the intent/purpose that Collinite's formulators have
by including this solvent being in Collinite #845?

What is the evaporation rate of this solvent:
-As #845 is being applied?
-While it is drying?
-During #845's 'cure-time', if any?
-Or, does it matter?

And the $64,000 question/discussion-ad infinitum:
Will Collinite #845's solvent "cause harm" to an underlying LSP...
Including itself when one attempts to layer #845 atop #845?

Instead of myself delving any further trying to answer these specific questions...And:
Not trying to Hi-jack this thread's subject matter...
But...Here Goes:
Even though others may differ...I feel my following commentary is germaine.

-First: It does appear that, to many folks, Collinite #845 is an excellent LSP...
even exclaiming its durability is almost second to none.
(I'll include myself in this praise of #845!!)

-Next:
According to the MSDS's of the: 'many, many, many car care products',
(that I referenced above), that contain CAS# 64742-47-8........THEN:

I.
Why isn't the following product-lines:
Meguiar's, Mother’s, Duragloss, 3M, etc...
Questioned/interrogated/given-the-third-degree...as is Collinite #845?!?!

II.
Also...
Why is it then that some folks hesitate to use, and even ctiticize and abuse, these product-lines:
Simonize, Ardex, Auto Magic, Carbrite, Malco, ArmorAll
Turtle Wax, Black Magic, RainX, etc.??

Then there's:
Westley’s, SeaFoam, different Oils and Lubricants
GooGone, Pesticides...To take into account.

They all have CAS# 64742-47-8!!

III.
The Car-Care-World is filled with products that contain the same solvent as: Good ol' Collinite #845...

IV.
I do understand that:
The percentage of this solvent, by volume, that each product-line's manufacturer/Chemist/blender
puts-in their formulations does vary...Some as high as 95%!!!

V.
Though the Collinite #845 "issues" still hold my attention...
These, too, are: 'Points-of-Interest' (for me) I often ponder.

:)

Bob

Hoytman
01-21-2013, 09:28 AM
Great post,Bob. You forgot Nu-shine. :D Points to ponder for sure.

mwoolfso
01-21-2013, 09:58 AM
But that reply is (mostly) saying that you need Prep-Sol to remove a Collinite product...we know that there are other products that would be easier to remove than Collinite.

Focus on what else it says related to this topic, Collinite does not have the same perspective you have on their product. Enjoy!

Setec Astronomy
01-21-2013, 10:08 AM
Focus on what else it says related to this topic, Collinite does not have the same perspective you have on their product. Enjoy!

I don't know what that means...I was simply pointing out that Collinite products are very durable and if they are saying that layering Collinite on Collinite doesn't remove any of the underlying application, that concept may not be entirely applicable to other LSP's.

FUNX650
01-21-2013, 12:17 PM
Great post,Bob.

You're always kind...Thanks Bill...

You forgot Nu-shine. :D

^^^I also forgot (among others) Blue Coral^^^ :doh:

Points to ponder for sure.
Yes...Been Pondering/Thinking for many years now!!
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/DobieGillis_Dwayne_Hickman.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/54562)

Best Regards,

Dobie

:D

mwoolfso
01-21-2013, 05:04 PM
I don't know what that means...I was simply pointing out that Collinite products are very durable and if they are saying that layering Collinite on Collinite doesn't remove any of the underlying application, that concept may not be entirely applicable to other LSP's.

Thanks for the clarification; didn't pick up on that in your previous comment. That said, this topic is discussing whether Collinite 845's solvents would [or could] strip existing protection layers. It is not a general discussion about how other LSP's would [or could] strip.

wanabe detailer
01-22-2013, 01:55 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...sealant-3.html (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/23199-layer-collinite-845-over-sealant-3.html)

Also from this thread....

"As both Dr. G and the Collinite folks pointed out about their own products, it appears the solvents are a moot point. Dr. G. says after sufficient time for crosslinking to occur his product won't be adversely affected by 845. The Collinite folks offer that the solvents in 845 aren't self-stripping, leading one to believe actual layering will occur. Maybe I'm just goofy but I tend to think the manufacturers probably know more about the products they make than anyone else."

For good reason we relate the term solvent to dissolve thus concluding that the solvents in Collinite will dissolve nearly any coating it's applied to. What we fail to realize, because most here aren't chemists, when a product dries or cures, reapplication of the same product, the previous product will go unaffected....
:dblthumb2: