PDA

View Full Version : Menzerna FG400 dusting?

Rmd
01-20-2013, 09:33 PM
Have tried some paint correction with Menzerna FG400 lately, and it is dusting like crazy. Have used several combinations:

CCS orange pad - cleaned, dry - pad primed by applying concentric circles of product and spreading with finger as shown in AG guides. - dusts before one pass is complete.

CCS orange pad - clean and dry, four drops of polish, quick spray of pad with water - still dusting.

CCS hydo cyan - brand new pad, four pea sized drops of polish, quick spray with water. starts blowing dust all over after one back and forth pass over 2 ft/sq area.

Is this normal for this product? It makes a huge mess all over the car.

BTW - car is in garage, cool to touch, ambient temp about 65, using GG 6" machine, speed setting at 5.5.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
01-20-2013, 10:04 PM
I haven't had FG400 dust on me like you have mentioned. I dont see how you are getting dusting problems. Your process sounds right.

By the sound of your dusting problem I thought you may have been talking about M105.

Pureshine
01-20-2013, 10:27 PM
I never have dusting with 400 really at all ether not sure what is going on. I have have used it on 5 cars and never really dusted at all for me.

SonOfOC
01-20-2013, 10:44 PM
Compounds will dust. Some more than others.

Not priming, hot surface, dry weather, too large working area, too many passes, too fast tool speed, will all promote dusting.

Sounds like you got everything right. Try working a smaller area with speed 5 on the GG. Do no more than two panels before switching pads or cleaning it. Gunked up pads will sling dust everywhere.

rmagnus
01-20-2013, 10:52 PM
Just a thought are you working in the sun? If so despite the 65 degree temps try to avoid working in direct sunlight.

Rmd
01-21-2013, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the input. Appreciate it. I'll play around with the process and change some variables as suggested above. (I wasn't in the sun, car was in garage). I was following it with menz SF4000 with a white CCS pad and that wasn't dusting hardly at all.

Jomax
01-21-2013, 01:13 AM
I got crazy dusting aswell. I used a MF pad on 5 using a GG6. I switched pads after every section aswell. Dunno if I used too much product? I doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online

CM8 6MT
01-21-2013, 02:39 AM
Compounds will dust. Some more than others.

Not priming, hot surface, dry weather, too large working area, too many passes, too fast tool speed, will all promote dusting.

Sounds like you got everything right. Try working a smaller area with speed 5 on the GG. Do no more than two panels before switching pads or cleaning it. Gunked up pads will sling dust everywhere.

Agree

mg6045
01-21-2013, 06:04 PM
too much product for sure. This compound is the true definition of "rich". You can feel how heavy and thick it is.

I just used this product a good bit this weekend and got no dusting and it finished in 1 step on bmw paint. I was soo impressed. didnt even need to pull out the SF4000.

With menzerna usually dont prime the pad much. I just go around the pad with like 8 to 10 little dots and then put it to the paint and spread it around. Or if I do prime the pad it with as little product as possible. Dont drench the pad. then apply product on top of it.

While you can get this product to not dust a lot, I will say its a dense chalky compound once its cycle is complete. (on the pad, not the paint, on paint its very lubricated, I know weird explanation). Once distributed on the pad, only put 3 pea size dots (small pee size).

Havent tried it yet on MF, so I cant speak for that. But I will say that some compounds like to go dry when used with MF. For example 105 can be very finicky with MF and matte the fibers and then stick to your paint. It just takes some playing with.

I knew right off the bat based on how heavy FG400 was that less is more with this product.

Rmd
01-22-2013, 01:47 AM
I was also working on BMW paint (steel grey metallic). Went after it again today bearing in mind the suggestions above.

Didn't prime pad with a lot of product, used 4 dots and a shot of mist. Reduced the speed on the GG machine to 5. Biggest difference was using really small sections, like 18" maybe. 4 passes in each direction with 5.5 pads, with approx 50% overlap. Only did two section passes, then cleaned the section, 4 more little peas of product, and two more section passes. Odd that I wasn't really making big sections before, but shrunk it down and used a bit less pressure on the machine.

Was like using a different product. Almost no dust, and it worked like a charm. Thanks guys for the tips.
:xyxthumbs:

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
01-22-2013, 09:47 AM
I was also working on BMW paint (steel grey metallic). Went after it again today bearing in mind the suggestions above.

Didn't prime pad with a lot of product, used 4 dots and a shot of mist. Reduced the speed on the GG machine to 5. Biggest difference was using really small sections, like 18" maybe. 4 passes in each direction with 5.5 pads, with approx 50% overlap. Only did two section passes, then cleaned the section, 4 more little peas of product, and two more section passes. Odd that I wasn't really making big sections before, but shrunk it down and used a bit less pressure on the machine.

Was like using a different product. Almost no dust, and it worked like a charm. Thanks guys for the tips.
:xyxthumbs:

Glad you got it to work for you.

The Critic
01-27-2014, 03:11 AM
I got crazy dusting aswell. I used a MF pad on 5 using a GG6. I switched pads after every section aswell. Dunno if I used too much product? I doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online

I have found that FG400 dusts quite a bit when used with MF pads, but when used with foam, the dusting is minimal.

lawrenceSA
01-27-2014, 03:53 AM
Also, try turning down the speed a little.....

5.5 seems a little high - I can't recall the exact numbers on the bottle (printed in rpms which will need to converted to OPM's for DA's) but I seem to remember it equates to speed 3 or 4 on a DA.

A lot slower than what Menzerna recommends for their other polishes.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
01-27-2014, 04:24 AM
Also, try turning down the speed a little.....

5.5 seems a little high - I can't recall the exact numbers on the bottle (printed in rpms which will need to converted to OPM's for DA's) but I seem to remember it equates to speed 3 or 4 on a DA.

A lot slower than what Menzerna recommends for their other polishes.

Agreed.

I never exceed speed 4 on my 3401. Running it any faster, and the performance starts to gradually fall off.

Eric M.
01-27-2014, 07:57 AM
before using FG400 I prime my pads by soaking them in water and then ringing them out I then throw the pad on my 3401 turn it on and let the excess water sling off the excess water. I then prime my pad with a few drops of product and its ready to go. I also only use 1 pad per panel. Try it out as this nearly eliminate all dusting for me.