PDA

View Full Version : Opti-Bond vs PERL

vman
01-20-2013, 07:31 PM
Which do you guys prefer? I have PERL and love it on tires but the durability isnt as great as I'd like. It also runs in the rain when I apply to exterior trim. Is opti-bond any different or can i expect the same results on tire and trims?

mwoolfso
01-21-2013, 06:14 AM
What kind of durability are you looking for?

I have never used Opti-Bond but I have used PERL extensively. Some products just don't marry well with what you and I call "trim"; which can be formulated 1001 different ways.

That said, no matter what, with PERL I find that at least 2 layers are required for any amount of acceptable durability to be achieved. Each layer requires some light towel buffing to remove "the excess", albeit I usually find that nothing visible shows up on my towel when I do that. Call it superstition, I "wipe off the excess" anyway and call it "buffing" so I feel like it is a step worthy of my time. Since PERL is in spray form, it really doesn't take more time compared to other products not in spray form; which is a bummer for me because when I first ordered it my hope was that a spray would save me some time.

Interiors

I tried PERL for the first time on interiors last year (leather, leatherette and plastic) and it didn't last too long; resistance to dust lasted less than a week whereas my previous experience with Lexol products was literally a good month or two. This year I will apply it with a foam or MF pad; as I normally do with Vinylex.

Tires

I have always used PERL on tires and I whenever I rush the job, durability is not as long as compared to when I display patience. Again, I find that applying PERL with a pad helps durability, just as much as waiting for a layer to dry before applying another layer, and finally that "buffing" step. 90% of the time I apply two layers. A recent maintenance detail on my 2 vehicle's tires received 3-coats and I must say I have never been happier with the durability I am seeing.

BobbyG
01-21-2013, 06:18 AM
Which do you guys prefer? I have PERL and love it on tires but the durability isnt as great as I'd like. It also runs in the rain when I apply to exterior trim. Is opti-bond any different or can i expect the same results on tire and trims?

Interesting..... I've used in many times on exterior trim and as long as the product had dried I've never had it dissolve and run when it gets wet....even during a wash..

swanicyouth
01-21-2013, 08:51 AM
I don't think any of these products lasts very long. Nor do I think it matters much what product you use as long as its a quality product. They all will be mostly gone after a day of moderate rain for the most part, except for the coating type products.

I plan on picking up the Tuff Shine trim product. The tire product is 100% long lasting and no hype, so I'm expecting good things from this.

If its running in the rain, you may be applying to much or not buffing it off. I've never had a problem running or slinging.

piscott
01-21-2013, 09:17 AM
Interesting..... I've used in many times on exterior trim and as long as the product had dried I've never had it dissolve and run when it gets wet....even during a wash..

+1 Never had a problem with Perl running. It's great stuff if proper prep and application.

mwoolfso
01-21-2013, 10:01 AM
I don't think any of these products lasts very long. Nor do I think it matters much what product you use as long as its a quality product. They all will be mostly gone after a day of moderate rain for the most part, except for the coating type products.

I beg to differ. Over the last month, there has been more days with rain than I can remember in a long time. Even now I still have enough sheen on my tires that tells me a) the protection is there and b) the tires have a covering over it still. I haven't found a retail product that does what PERL does; at least "yet".

swanicyouth
01-21-2013, 11:33 AM
I beg to differ. Over the last month, there has been more days with rain than I can remember in a long time. Even now I still have enough sheen on my tires that tells me a) the protection is there and b) the tires have a covering over it still. I haven't found a retail product that does what PERL does; at least "yet".

I haven't tried PERL, so maybe its much better. Frankly, I find most CarPro products a notch ahead of the pack. But OptiBond, Poor Boys, Blackfire, Prima Nero, Adams VRT, CG Black to Black, etc... Don't last very long for me for whatever reason. I would pick up some PERL if I didn't already have so many. Most of the products I've tried seem interchangeable. Maybe PERL is different,

Success
01-21-2013, 02:44 PM
While the finish of PERL might only last a week, I find the tires easier to clean. There is protection left there up to a month ime...water will continue to bead.

sparty
01-21-2013, 05:07 PM
I have used both Opti-Bond and PERL on tires. Opti-Bond two layers on tires lasts longer IMO. PERL is great on the trim and I used it for my winter prep. Two layers and still going strong. Tuff Shine is my next purchase as the reviews are great.

-Sparty

dad07
01-21-2013, 07:01 PM
I havn't used Perl yet so I cannot comment there.

As far as Optibond goes IMHO it's a top notch product.I use it 1:1 and it leaves a nice satin sheen(new tire look).

I have never had any problems with sling or short lived protection.

As with any product,its all in the prep.

Optibond on trim?.......never used it that way, I leave that to UTTG.

Wendell Jarvis
01-21-2013, 08:30 PM
I have been using Opti-Bond for about 2 years, tried and used allot of tire products, none, none come close to the look of opti-bond...it gives a great shine or you can tone it down, with the tires properly cleaned the durability is fantastic....Best product for tires !!

Robert8194
01-21-2013, 08:35 PM
They both work great and leave a good shine. I get best results with the Optimum sprayer. It gives you a very fine mist that penetrates each crevice. I actually prefer PERL mainly because of its versatility. Opti bond may last a little longer but neither lasts too long. You get to clean your tires more often.

addysdaddy
01-21-2013, 10:32 PM
bump