PDA

View Full Version : LC pads durability

Neothin
01-20-2013, 03:24 PM
I'm just trying to get an idea of the durability y'all are getting on LC 6.5" pads. I recently bought a combo pack, and i'm in the middle of the 2nd full detail with these pads and ever so suddenly my orange pad backing separates from the pad itself and the pad goes flying off into the grass. Kind of frustrating that the pad only got ~4 hours of usage out of it before it destroyed itself :( Is this a common thing? If so, i think i'm going to switch pad companies.

This was on a 7424xp.

cleanmycorolla
01-20-2013, 04:39 PM
I've had pads last a while shoot some of my pads have been through numerous details, they lose some firmness but still work fine!

Neothin
01-20-2013, 05:29 PM
Losing firmness is something i'm used to. That realistically happens the first time they get washed. I'm talking about the pad and velcro backing separating.

cleanmycorolla
01-20-2013, 05:38 PM
Losing firmness is something i'm used to. That realistically happens the first time they get washed. I'm talking about the pad and velcro backing separating.

Yeah no issues really with that either, like I said, LC pads have done great for me!:xyxthumbs: how do you wash and store them? maybe thats why they're suicidal after a few hours...? some folks have issues here and there, but it's rare when theyre new based on what ive read everywhere

Neothin
01-20-2013, 05:51 PM
Once i finish them they soaked in 10/1 apc unti l finished the car. Massage them by hand to get product out. Rinse them out well. Spin dry with a PC. Leave them to finish drying over night. Into a ziploc bag.

Rsurfer
01-20-2013, 06:06 PM
[QUOTE=Neothin;799251]Losing firmness is something i'm used to.

There are products out there that can help.

Rsurfer
01-20-2013, 06:08 PM
I'm just trying to get an idea of the durability y'all are getting on LC 6.5" pads. I recently bought a combo pack, and i'm in the middle of the 2nd full detail with these pads and ever so suddenly my orange pad backing separates from the pad itself and the pad goes flying off into the grass. Kind of frustrating that the pad only got ~4 hours of usage out of it before it destroyed itself :( Is this a common thing? If so, i think i'm going to switch pad companies.

This was on a 7424xp.

Using 6.5" pads on a PC is your first mistake. Get a 5" BP and some 5.5" pads.

ihaveacamaro
01-20-2013, 06:22 PM

The pads still shouldn't be coming apart.

OP, are you using the same pad for 4 hours straight? If so, I think that is your problem. I use 4 to 6 of the same type of pad per car.

Neothin
01-20-2013, 06:29 PM
nah it was about 2 hours at any one time. I've used pads this long numerous times in the past :( I wonder if an RMA is something that could be done

Hoytman
01-20-2013, 06:39 PM
Not that I disagree with the suggestion for reasons you didn't disclose, but even then the suggestion has nothing to do with the problem he's described.

I've got a few LC pads that the backing seperated on as well. Backing plate size had nothing to do with the seperation issues I had because the pads were only used for a test spot. Since I didn't like how the pad performed for that particular use I then washed the pad and the backing began to seperate.

I've used 6.5" Megs foam pads in conjunction with at W67DA backing plate, which is the correct plate, yet its well undersized, and have had zero issues. I have two Meg's pads with well over 25 hours each on them and not one single issue with the backing coming loose. Another reason why I'm going to buy some of their 4" pads, and would like to see them make 5" pads.

Rsurfer
01-20-2013, 06:55 PM
[QUOTE=Hoytman;799293]Not that I disagree with the suggestion for reasons you didn't disclose, but even then the suggestion has nothing to do with the problem he's described.

True, but I feel he's wasting his time with 6.5" pads on a PC. Rather then buying more 6.5" pads he would be better off getting a 5" backing plate with 5.5" pads regardless of the brand.

dooyaunastan
01-20-2013, 08:33 PM
I'm not sure on what the differences are between APC and Snappy Clean but could the APC (even at 10:1) be weakening the adhesive of the velcro backing on the pad?

BillE
01-21-2013, 08:35 AM
Due to the fact that it is ONLY the orange pad that 'blew up', I'd be thinking that it just may be a bad pad from the git-go.

Maybe ask customer service if there may be a remedy?

Bill

cardaddy
01-21-2013, 09:22 PM
I dunno' could be the pad was bad who knows. I've noticed with 2 orange CCS pads, 4" and 5½" that if I didn't keep in touch with the heat buildup the middle actually started getting thinner. The first time was the 4" (on a GG6) that I knew I was working too long but kept telling myself "just this little bit more". Then I purposely pushed the 5½" to see if it would collapse any. The key is (was for me) heat buildup in the center of the pad, moreover at the BACK of the pad. The face will feel fine, but the back will be noticably hotter.

From that point on I pull the pad and check it by oddly enough, putting it against my face! :doh::laughing:
If it's much warmer than the palm of my hand against my face I sit it on my cart, use another one, and wait for it to cool down.