PDA

View Full Version : Renewing faded wiper arms

g35_coupe
01-20-2013, 11:40 AM
For my black rubber and plastic trim where the hood and windshield meet, I like to use 303 spray since it doesn't leave it greasy-looking or attract a lot of dirt. However, the black paint on the wiper arms are dull and ashy. What would you guys recommend (short of repainting them) to make them nice and black again and for maintenance? Thanks.

Judge
01-20-2013, 11:46 AM
Usually an AIO will work great for that. Once a year I use DG 501 and it really revives them.

CM8 6MT
01-20-2013, 11:47 AM
For my black rubber and plastic trim where the hood and windshield meet, I like to use 303 spray since it doesn't leave it greasy-looking or attract a lot of dirt. However, the black paint on the wiper arms are dull and ashy. What would you guys recommend (short of repainting them) to make them nice and black again and for maintenance? Thanks.

No better option than to unbolt and paint like new IMO. Real easy to do, should be no prob.

Finemess
01-20-2013, 12:18 PM
No better option than to unbolt and paint like new IMO. Real easy to do, should be no prob.
X2, very simple and looks alot better..

dc52nv
01-20-2013, 01:03 PM
Poorboy's Trim Restore works great.

ziggo99
01-20-2013, 02:53 PM
I touched my mine up with Meguiar's Cleaner Wax. Came back looking pretty good. Touch it up every so often. One guy used Plasti Dip and it looks really nice after he was done.

Rsurfer
01-20-2013, 03:05 PM
What would you guys recommend (short of repainting them) to make them nice and black again and for maintenance? Thanks.

Any other option?

swanicyouth
01-20-2013, 04:05 PM
You have 2 options:

1. R&R wiper arm & paint

2. Polish. I just did this with my roof rack rails. It's likely to be a single stage black paint that is not too thick. That kind of paint responds real well to a modern compound like Optimum. If the paint isn't eroded, that will work well. Follow with an AIO like GPS.

swanicyouth
01-20-2013, 04:09 PM
Another option is to wrap it in black out tape if its a pretty uncomplicated surface. I'm in the process of doing that to the outer portion of my roof rack rails where the paint isn't worn away. This looks really nice, I did it before to my roof rack rails also. However, this tape is thin and you have to be careful with the pressure washer, as I messed mine up after about 8 months. So, I'm doing it again now and wrapping the tape around the edges.

The BEST way to fix it is to remove the part and have it powder coated. A quality wheel refinisher ( not a "mobile" guy) can so this.

JeeperCreeper
01-20-2013, 09:25 PM
I've just finished removing both front and rear wiper arms due to rust and fading of the painted surfaces. Roughed them all up with fine sanding block and resprayed with Rustoleum Bed Liner.
The finish isn't really coarse and it lasts a couple years if done right. Only issue is there is no gloss but I prefer that "blacked-out" look. :dblthumb2:

Pockets@PoorboysWorld
01-21-2013, 09:33 AM
If it is ashy looking its oxidizing and I would be very cautious with using something that has abrasives in it because it's just the wiper arm they don't exactly soak it in paint.

My suggestion would be to use some Professional Polish and a cotton terry towel, this will clean it right up and make it shine better than new. You can also top it with some sort of wax or sealant to help prevent it from oxidizing as fast.