PDA

View Full Version : technic to not make swirls

BenSRT
01-19-2013, 09:47 AM
Hi guys,

detailing is not my job but is my favorite hobby, I'm not a professional but I think I have a good technic for many steps like compounding, washing, claying, waxing. but I am like several here I would like do better.

What is your technic to not make swirl again on your car? I saw several videos to how to not make swirls and I have good microfibers, good products but at the end of summer I see little swirls come back again.

many thanks

HellaBroke
01-19-2013, 11:02 AM
Do you have a foam gun? That will help remove most of the looser dirt particulars. I foam let set a few rinse and then refoam. And it helps
Also I have noticed opticoat does not swirl as easy as clear so that's another thing I have going that's helping. I washing weekly as to not let particles sit too long and washing after bird poo or After I drive through the mountain pass etc..

AutowerxDetailing
01-19-2013, 11:13 AM
Tips to reduce wash induced swirls/marring:

1 - 2 bucket method (2-5gl buckets ea w/ grit guards).
2 - Pre-rinse heavy dirt build up with foam gun or high pressure water from hose.
3 - Quality wash mitts (1 for the upper half, 1 for lower panels). I like the CarPro wool mitt for upper and MF chenille for lower panels.
4 - Use quality car wash soap to proper dilution levels, lower dilutions will not provide enough lubrication during washing.
5 - Wash in straight lines instead of circular motions.
6 - Rinse your mitt multiple times while cleaning each panel.
7 - Use a completely separate bucket for wheels/tires.
8 - When drying use the blot dry method so you are not dragging a dry towel over the paint surface.

That's all I can think of for now.

Paul A.
01-19-2013, 04:29 PM
Also, very very light pressure while washing and drying. The soap breaks the hold dirt has on the paint...you just lightly run your wash media across the paint to pick it up. Same with drying, light pressure.

BenSRT
01-19-2013, 07:47 PM
for drying I use a waffle towel,but I think I need to upgrade my collection of a blower and a foam gun. What kind of blower and foam gun do you use?

HellaBroke
01-19-2013, 08:20 PM
I have the chemical guys foam gun and love it!

HellaBroke
01-19-2013, 08:23 PM
Forgot to add I have a makita air compressor 5 gallon (super quiet) and I have an in line air dryer pulls the oil and moisture out of the air the compressor passes. ( definitely recommend a high quality air dryer for anyone who uses compressed air on any paint work or fine wood work)

BenSRT
01-20-2013, 10:16 AM
I project to buy a pressure washer because my other pressure washer died last summer. I begin to wash my cars with a garden hose and a fire nozzle.

Do you suggest I buy a new pressure washer and buy a foam cannon or keep my garden hose and buy AG foam gun?

buffguy
01-20-2013, 11:43 AM
I project to buy a pressure washer because my other pressure washer died last summer. I begin to wash my cars with a garden hose and a fire nozzle.

Do you suggest I buy a new pressure washer and buy a foam cannon or keep my garden hose and buy AG foam gun?

I would suggest you buying a new pressure washer. The foam gun from a garden hose is pretty weak. I suggest you get the master blaster. I used it for the first time this weekend and I didn't have to use a towel to dry the car. It is an amazing machine.

The Metro MasterBlaster is Metro's most powerful blower/dryer at 8hp! Blow dry your motorcycle & your vehicle with this big blower. (http://www.autogeek.net/mema.html)

BenSRT
01-20-2013, 11:59 AM
eShine Canada: Chemical Guys Jet Blower VX6 (http://www.eshine.ca/chemical_guys_jet_blower_vx6-969.php?cat=104)

I saw this one on eshine....someone has a feedback?

ihaveacamaro
01-20-2013, 12:12 PM
I am a fan of the Garry Dean Method

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr7JoC8ANog]Rinseless Wash with Optimum No Rinse - Garry Dean Wash Method - YouTube[/video]

KenR
01-20-2013, 12:19 PM
There's another thread going on discussing pressure washers.

I just bought a Karcher Series-X 2000 psi electric pressure washer from Pressure Washers Direct for general work around the house including brick patio and driveway. Did a lot of research before i made the purchase. Definitely looking at adding a foam cannon from Autogeek. Can't wait for spring.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AG Online

outlander
01-20-2013, 04:16 PM
I got the 8hp Master Blaster for Christmas. Used it once on my SUV Nissan Rogue. It great! Comes with a 10 foot hose. I just stand on my portable step stool without the fear about dropping anything on the car. It does really help prevent swirls.

BenSRT
01-20-2013, 05:37 PM
thanks all for your good advices. I think begin shopping to buy a foam cannon and a blower