PDA

View Full Version : Help me with my polisher order!

vman
01-18-2013, 08:41 PM
My birthday is coming up in a couple weeks so I finally have an excuse to pick up a polisher! :awesome:

I only found out about autogeek after purchasing a new car and luckily there werent any DISO just some fine scratches here and there. However, I would like to polish the paint and bring out as much gloss as I can. Heres what I plan to buy:

-Griots Garage 3rd Gen
-Meguiars Microfiber Kit 5 inch
-A couple finishing pads for waxes and sealants

What do you guys think of this setup? I chose the microfiber kit due to its simplicity of only needing a cutting and finishing pad. My car really only needs a one step polish but it seems that this kit is very versatile. Is there anything im missing or should change?

AutowerxDetailing
01-18-2013, 08:48 PM
You really can't go wrong with the GG machine or the Meg's MF pad kit. The MF pads were engineered to be used on factory baked on CC and, as you said, it is a very simple system with just 2 different types of pads.

I'd recommend a few black or red LC flat or CCS pads for final polishing since your goal is to amp up the gloss as much as possible. A final polish like Meg's M205 or Menz SF4500 works great by machine with a soft foam pad to eek out that last bit of shine.

What kind of car!?

Eandras
01-18-2013, 08:51 PM
Good choice on the kit. I agree the post above get a 5" backing plate and order some red and blue LC CCS pads for applying some LSP and possible jeweling with polish.

Ed

:autowash: :buffing:

CM8 6MT
01-18-2013, 09:06 PM
^^^ Agree with the 2 guys above

dad07
01-18-2013, 09:16 PM
Great choice! Mf system will work wonders for you and the GG6 is a great machine.

Take a look at the Crimmson Hydrotechs low profile for finishing work.

I would also add a 3" bp and pick up the smaller megs mf pads for the tight areas.

Good luck with your new purchase and have fun!

swanicyouth
01-18-2013, 09:18 PM
I'll throw a wrench in it. I would go with foam pads. I think foam pads may be better for someone new to buffing. MF pads must be kept clean and fluffed up, and maybe be more sensitive to heat - which a Griots polisher has been known to contribute to.

CM8 6MT
01-18-2013, 09:42 PM
I'll throw a wrench in it. I would go with foam pads. I think foam pads may be better for someone new to buffing. MF pads must be kept clean and fluffed up, and maybe be more sensitive to heat - which a Griots polisher has been known to contribute to.

Agree, however I never really had an issue with heat transfer? Then again I threw away the stock backing plate anyway.

vman
01-18-2013, 09:44 PM
What kind of car!?

It's an '11 f150 supercrew in sterling grey. I always generalize them as cars even though they're trucks ha.

Do you have a favorite foam pad that you can recommend? I've read foam finishes better but the simplicity of the microfiber kit is what draws me in.

dad07
01-18-2013, 09:53 PM

Foam pads are just as sensitive to heat as MF. When using MF just turn the speed down its that simple.

Yep someone new is going to burn up a pad or two........seen it many times here.I'm guilty myself.

Most people want to turn up the speed to get it done and whoops.

"Sometimes you have to slow down to go Faster" ( Darryll Waltrip)

this is where common sense kicks in ,start slow.

SON1C
01-18-2013, 10:02 PM
if you want simple foam, go hydro tech cyan cutting and tangerine polishing, and then sub in any finishing / lsp pad or stay in the line with the crimson pad

CM8 6MT
01-18-2013, 10:03 PM
Foam pads are just as sensitive to heat as MF. When using MF just turn the speed down its that simple.

Yep someone new is going to burn up a pad or two........seen it many times here.I'm guilty myself.

Most people want to turn up the speed to get it done and whoops.

"Sometimes you have to slow down to go Faster" ( Darryll Waltrip)

this is where common sense kicks in ,start slow.

Agree. High rpm's and fast arm movement often lead to negative results.

vman
01-19-2013, 12:50 AM
Hm so im not really sure whether to go microfiber or foam anymore. Is one of them easier to maintain/clean than the other?

CM8 6MT
01-19-2013, 05:34 AM
Hm so im not really sure whether to go microfiber or foam anymore. Is one of them easier to maintain/clean than the other?

Since your new I would highly recommend starting out with Foam pads. They are easier to clean & maintain. Once you got foam pads down, you can then migrate to MF discs.

You can start out by getting the cheap CSS pads from LC, or go with their better Hydrotech ones like SON1C recommended.