PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas what this is?

Pages : [1] 2

Flatlander
01-18-2013, 08:09 PM
Just got my car back from the body shop for the second time! This time the rear bumper was replaced. I washed the car and put the light on it and found this mark. It feels smooth and is hard to see without the light. I haven't touched it yet, I thought I'd get some opinions. I'm hoping it's just going to polish out. This is really frustrating as I have had $3000 worth of body work done on my brand new BMW and haven't even had it ling enough to need an oil change yet!
Any ideas? Thanks guys!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=535&pictureid=3220

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=535&pictureid=3221

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=535&pictureid=3222

rwright
01-18-2013, 08:12 PM
Looks like a hologram and one spot looks like a burned edge

Rsurfer
01-18-2013, 08:17 PM
:iagree: They had to paint the new rear bumper and someone got careless with a rotary buffer.

RMM
01-18-2013, 08:20 PM

:iagree: Looks like your odyssey isn't over yet... :nomore:

swanicyouth
01-18-2013, 08:53 PM
I feel your pain. I don't know what it is, but its just got to go. Take it back AGAIN and have if fixed correctly. Buffing will likely on make it worse. It's do hard to find good body shops.

CM8 6MT
01-18-2013, 09:05 PM
I feel your pain. I don't know what it is, but its just got to go. Take it back AGAIN and have if fixed correctly. Buffing will likely on make it worse. It's do hard to find good body shops.

Agree. You can probably easily correct it yourself but why bother have them fix it since their at fault.

Flatlander
01-18-2013, 09:08 PM
Ugh. I don't know if I want these guys to touch my car. They told me the bumper was replaced with an OEM bumper. Basically, they should have just snapped it in. Right?

CM8 6MT
01-18-2013, 09:28 PM
Ugh. I don't know if I want these guys to touch my car. They told me the bumper was replaced with an OEM bumper. Basically, they should have just snapped it in. Right?

In theory yes, not sure about BMW but Honda OEM body panels come pre-painted from the factory with OEM color's for that specific year/model.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
01-18-2013, 09:33 PM
Can you feel anything with your finger when you touch and rub the affected area?

Flatlander
01-18-2013, 09:36 PM
Can you feel anything with your finger when you touch and rub the affected area?

No, it's perfectly smooth.

CM8 6MT
01-18-2013, 09:40 PM
Why dont you go over it with a fine finishing polish by hand and see how it reacts?

Ive had customers with odd marks similar to what you have, cleared right up with a finishing polish by hand. Obviously yours might or might not be the same situation.

NIS240SHU
01-18-2013, 10:19 PM
In theory yes, not sure about BMW but Honda OEM body panels come pre-painted from the factory with OEM color's for that specific year/model.

Having worked on many Hondas when my dad had his body shop, the only things that ever came pre-painted were things like spoilers and moldings.

For reasons I've discussed in another thread about variations of the same color, replacement body parts generally come unpainted with a satin black primer only.

CM8 6MT
01-18-2013, 10:26 PM
Having worked on many Hondas when my dad had his body shop, the only things that ever came pre-painted were things like spoilers and moldings.

For reasons I've discussed in another thread about variations of the same color, replacement body parts generally come unpainted with a satin black primer only.

Interesting, so its safe to assume the OP's BMW did indeed get paintwork+buffing done to it.

NIS240SHU
01-18-2013, 11:09 PM
Definitely.

:cheers:

OCDetailer
01-18-2013, 11:21 PM
Put a little polish on a hand applicator and go to town on that spot. If after a couple minutes of polishing you start to see grey on the pad then your clear coat got burnt off by the rotary and you need a respray.