PDA

View Full Version : Please explain: what is P21S Auto Wash?

Shortspark
01-18-2013, 10:42 AM
I'm not sure what this product is or its purpose but everyone raves about it. I understand it is an APC that is safe on paint and wheels and even interiors, however, it supposedly will strip wax and sealant. I also understand it can be diluted for various tasks from engine detailing to making quick work of bug guts but I can't find the ratios to use anywhere, even at the P21S site. Do you spray this directly on your car and use it as a waterless wash? Or, is it better to be used as a shampoo and mixed in a bucket?

I ask because here is a quote from the product page: "Convenient Spray Bottle. You won’t need to hurt your back constantly bending over to fill your sponge or towel with car wash detergent. Simply spray and wipe"! That sounds like a waterless wash to me but it sounds like a very, very powerful cleaner for this purpose and it is not advertised as a rinseless or waterless wash. If you use it this way I think you have to apply new wax and sealant every time, unless there is a dilution ratio that will clean without stripping LSP. To those of you who have this product, exactly what is it and how is it used?

FUNX650
01-18-2013, 12:58 PM
P21S TAW is considered a "safe solvent" (d-limonene)---A citrus-based, biodegradable cleaner/degreaser.

I like this product and its first-cousin:
S100 Total Cycle Cleaner ($10.99/1 Liter Refill) S100 1 Liter Refill (http://www.autogeek.net/1literrefill.html)

If, perhaps, you go S100-shopping...Take a look at S100 Carnauba Paste Wax:
S100 Carnauba Wax is a hand-poured blend of German waxes, proprietary ingredients and pure Brazilian Carnauba wax. motorcycle wax, bike wax, s100 (http://www.autogeek.net/s1capawax.html)

IMO...
-Using TAW full-strength on painted panels will, at the very least, "weaken" some LSP's...
-Remove many others completely.

-I use it full-strength on engine bays, wheel wells, rocker panels, undercarriage, exhaust tips,
door jambs, rubber floor mats, and other grimy areas.
-I full well expect to 're-seal' these affected areas.

Every so often:
-I'll TAW-wash the entire vehicle's exterior...By usually diluting it by adding:
3-4 oz. of TAW per 4 gal. of water in my wash-bucket.
That's ~ 1:125---(TAW:Water)...ratio I believe.
-I will also 're-seal' these: TAW'ed vehicle-areas afterwards.

-I don't find myself using TAW, even at my dilution ratio,
on many non-painted vehicle's interior surfaces.

Of course: YMMV.

:)

Bob

WRAPT C5Z06
01-18-2013, 01:01 PM
P21S TAW is considered a "safe solvent" (d-limonene)---A citrus-based, biodegradable cleaner/degreaser.

I like this product and its first-cousin:
S100 Total Cycle Cleaner ($10.99/1 Liter Refill) S100 1 Liter Refill (http://www.autogeek.net/1literrefill.html)

If, perhaps, you go S100-shopping...Take a look at S100 Carnauba Paste Wax:
S100 Carnauba Wax is a hand-poured blend of German waxes, proprietary ingredients and pure Brazilian Carnauba wax. motorcycle wax, bike wax, s100 (http://www.autogeek.net/s1capawax.html)

IMO...
-Using TAW full-strength on painted panels will, at the very least, "weaken" some LSP's...
-Remove many others completely.

-I use it full-strength on engine bays, wheel wells, rocker panels, undercarriage, exhaust tips,
door jambs, rubber floor mats, and other grimy areas.
-I full well expect to 're-seal' these affected areas.

Every so often:
-I'll TAW-wash the entire vehicle's exterior...By usually diluting it by adding:
3-4 oz. of TAW per 4 gal. of water in my wash-bucket.
That's ~ 1:125---(TAW:Water)...ratio I believe.
-I will also 're-seal' these: TAW'ed vehicle-areas afterwards.

-I don't find myself using TAW, even at my dilution ratio,
on many non-painted vehicle's interior surfaces.

Of course: YMMV.

Bob
Hi Bob,

Have you ever tried DP Cleanse-All Exterior Cleaner?

:dblthumb2:

G35
01-18-2013, 01:06 PM
I'm interested as well. I received a free bottle with my order from another site and its been sitting in my closet for a year

FUNX650
01-18-2013, 01:06 PM
Hi Bob,

Have you ever tried DP Cleanse-All Exterior Cleaner?

:dblthumb2:

Hi Mark...

Yes I have used this DP product...
Especially to pre-treat/clean rubber and vinyl surfaces.

IMO...
Good stuff to use prior to applying ones personal choicer of "trim-dressings".

BTW:
Good to see you posting "regularly", again, on AGO!! :xyxthumbs:
Hope all's well!

Bob

Shortspark
01-18-2013, 02:03 PM
Thanks Funx725, that is just what I was looking for!

WRAPT C5Z06
01-18-2013, 02:08 PM
Thanks Funx725, that is just what I was looking for!
Bob is a great guy and very well informed!

rwright
01-18-2013, 02:10 PM
<--- switching back to P21S TAW this upcoming season

WRAPT C5Z06
01-18-2013, 02:15 PM
<--- switching back to P21S TAW this upcoming season
Why?

What will you mainly use it for?

rwright
01-18-2013, 02:19 PM
Why?

Because I never had a problem with it stripping paint.

What will you mainly use it for?

I will be using it for all painted surface cleansing when a degreaser is needed. I will be switching from the standard spray bottle though, going with a fine mist garden sprayer.

WRAPT C5Z06
01-18-2013, 02:32 PM
Because I never had a problem with it stripping paint.

I will be using it for all painted surface cleansing when a degreaser is needed. I will be switching from the standard spray bottle though, going with a fine mist garden sprayer.
Cool.

What do you use to clean tires, wheels wells, and plastic trim?

rwright
01-18-2013, 02:56 PM
Cool.

What do you use to clean tires, wheels wells, and plastic trim?

Tires and wheel wells, Zep Citrus or APC+, whatever APC I have on hand. Plastic trim is cleaned with OPC for now, will be cleaned with TAW in the upcoming season or CG Water Spot Remover if extremely faded.

PiPUK
01-19-2013, 12:00 PM

This is actually quite interesting for those who like to know the details!

D-limonene is mostly derived from orange peel. From that regard, it is environmentally friendly (no crude oil distillates or similar). Now, we initially started using it because it was a by-product from orange processing - as you might guess, it was cheap. It performed well but the main thing was that it was cheaper than the alternatives. Fast forward a few years and d-limonene is very far from cheap. Certainly from my sources, it is 4x the cost of the hydrocarbon based equivalent and has been much higher over recent times due to failures in orange crops. It has persisted in use only in small part due to being 'safe'. The primary reason it has remained is marketing and customer perception - it is marketed as being something much better than it really is and the customer loves the smell. In practice, the main reason we are convinced to use it, the safety/environmental friendliness, is a bit of a lie.

d-limonene is a skin sensitiser - it will bring a lot of people out in rashes, even at very low levels. It is much more likely to do this than the hydrocarbon equivalents. It is less harmful if ingested - if you ask me, the skin contact risk should be viewed ahead of the ingestion since most users will get it on their skin, very very few will be silly enough to ingest it. From the environmental side, yes, renewable source and all that. However - it is toxic to the aquatic environment. That means tiny concentrations of it will kill fish. When you buy d-limonene, it comes with this classification and the 'dead fish and tree' hazard symbol. This is not the case with many of the crude oil derived solvents which it is used in place of (for instance xylene). However, these details are not made clear to the public and are thus ignored.

In products, the citrus solvent is very popular. I don't know in the US much beyond P21S, but in the UK it is extremely popular in so called 'pre-wash' products because it is effective in helping dissolve oil residues and it smells nice. In practice, most products actually use elevated pH to do their work. This is quite OK but the 'citrus' is typically a component, not so much a base. What P21S TAW is, I cannot be sure because I cannot find an MSDS to check the pH.

All the best

fightnews
05-29-2017, 08:10 AM
There is no official dilution ratios or clarity about whether it will strip an lsp or not. the product page says it will remove wax build up but also say it is safe to use it as a car wash. Heck, the bottle even says when you're short of time just spray it on and rinse it off. That certainly is implying it won't strip wax