PDA

View Full Version : Polishes, and some needed advice

Pages : [1] 2

MarkD51
01-16-2013, 08:39 PM
Hello folks,

I'll start by saying that I probably have enough LSP's to protect 1/2 the town's vehicles, but I think I'm considerably lacking in the Polish area.

I have some 3M stuff, the Wolfgang Twins, M205, and maybe a Meggys on hand, but that's it.

I'd like to add that I don't anticipate dealing with Ceramiclear finishes, nor do I do detailing as a side hobby anymore.

Just am thinking I maybe need some more quality Polishes to fill some gaps in my own personal
arsenal.

Glazes, I have a boatload of, and thus would prefer sticking with pure polishes only, not a combo product.

Im thinking Menzerna in my head, and maybe 2-3 different products to add, but I just don't know for sure if some of these would be the best choice to fill any gaps?

Thanks in advance folks! Mark

Neothin
01-16-2013, 09:03 PM
If the new menzerna polishes are half as good as the old series, you'll be happy with them. I've use the XMT lineup in the past and was pretty happy with it... got a new shipment in a couple weeks ago and use them last weekend on my bf's car and they were just as good as i remembered.

CM8 6MT
01-16-2013, 09:10 PM
Maybe Andrew Wilson can chime in on this one, he knows quite a bit about Menzerna products.

As far as having more LSP's than polishes, thats pretty normal around here. Get that out of your system and have more polishes on hand, so you can get real results :). Polished deffect free paint creates gloss, LSP's...not so much :)

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
01-16-2013, 10:40 PM
I have been using M105/M205 for quite some time and recently tried FG400 and while it may cut a bit less than M105 (maybe 10 or 11 compared to M105 at 12) the benefits of FG400 having a longer working time, barely any dusting, no gumming up, finishing out nicer, and easier to wipe off far outweigh the minimal loss of cut compared to M105 IMO.

Would like to hear others opinions as well.

CM8 6MT
01-16-2013, 10:55 PM
I have been using M105/M205 for quite some time and recently tried FG400 and while it may cut a bit less than M105 (maybe 10 or 11 compared to M105 at 12) the benefits of FG400 having a longer working time, barely any dusting, no gumming up, finishing out nicer, and easier to wipe off far outweigh the minimal loss of cut compared to M105 IMO.

^^^ Agree.

cartman57
01-17-2013, 08:22 AM
Depends what you want to accomplish, how bad the paint finish is, what type of pads and machine you have.
Menzerna lineup as smack mentioned is easy to remove, less prone to 'dry' up, produces great results, others have same results using similar products, it's a very very subjective topic.

I'll value everyone's opinion and try a sample if offered by the manufacture.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
01-17-2013, 09:53 AM
Depends what you want to accomplish, how bad the paint finish is, what type of pads and machine you have.
Menzerna lineup as smack mentioned is easy to remove, less prone to 'dry' up, produces great results, others have same results using similar products, it's a very very subjective topic.

I'll value everyone's opinion and try a sample if offered by the manufacture.

Steve, Have you tried FG400? If not, want to try some?

cartman57
01-17-2013, 10:39 AM
Will send you a pm

MarkD51
01-17-2013, 03:00 PM

Thank you for your comments-advice.

Sounds like the Menzerna FG400 is one product I should seriously consider, and have this to fill one gap in my personal arsenal. (I do not have M105, but it is easily gotten here, the local wally world even carries it)

I'm assuming that FG-400 can be used on regular clear coat finishes, and can also even be used on single stage paints, correct?
Thanks, Mark

MarkD51
01-17-2013, 03:08 PM
OK, now here's another question I pose in regards to "gaps" in my polish arsenal.

I have found that Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover is a product I like, although different abrasive technology than M205, I assume one can probably achieve similar finish results, (dependent upon Pads, Technique)

Should one then perhaps look beyond WG TSR for a finer finishing polish in the Menzerna Line, such as 4000, or 4500, or would the use of such products after TSR be redundant, and be of no further benefit?

As I mentioned originally, I do have the WG Twins, with the TSR, and Finishing Glaze, but would perhaps like an ultra fine cutting and ultra high luster finishing polish that is absent of any Glazes, just a pure Polish product?
Thanks, Mark

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
01-17-2013, 03:41 PM
Thank you for your comments-advice.

Sounds like the Menzerna FG400 is one product I should seriously consider, and have this to fill one gap in my personal arsenal. (I do not have M105, but it is easily gotten here, the local wally world even carries it)

I'm assuming that FG-400 can be used on regular clear coat finishes, and can also even be used on single stage paints, correct?
Thanks, Mark

No problem. Different paint system shouldnt effect Menzerna products much.

OK, now here's another question I pose in regards to "gaps" in my polish arsenal.

I have found that Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover is a product I like, although different abrasive technology than M205, I assume one can probably achieve similar finish results, (dependent upon Pads, Technique)

Should one then perhaps look beyond WG TSR for a finer finishing polish in the Menzerna Line, such as 4000, or 4500, or would the use of such products after TSR be redundant, and be of no further benefit?

As I mentioned originally, I do have the WG Twins, with the TSR, and Finishing Glaze, but would perhaps like an ultra fine cutting and ultra high luster finishing polish that is absent of any Glazes, just a pure Polish product?
Thanks, Mark

You will acheive the same results of M205 with SF4000 and better shine and gloss with SF4500

Since you have the Wolfgang twins I would pick up FG400 and SF4500 and that way all you bases will be covered and you will have the right polish/compound no matter what comes your way whether it may be really hard paint or really soft paint.

SF4500 is the highest finishing polishing and is absent of any fillers or glaze and will give you the the most DOI.

-Mike

MarkD51
01-17-2013, 06:14 PM
No problem. Different paint system shouldnt effect Menzerna products much.

You will acheive the same results of M205 with SF4000 and better shine and gloss with SF4500

Since you have the Wolfgang twins I would pick up FG400 and SF4500 and that way all you bases will be covered and you will have the right polish/compound no matter what comes your way whether it may be really hard paint or really soft paint.

SF4500 is the highest finishing polishing and is absent of any fillers or glaze and will give you the the most DOI.

-Mike

Thank you Mike,
This all sounds very logical, and also very simple. That to cover all the "normal bases", these product choices you list above should do well in a fairly wide variety of instances.

I'm a realtively new autogeek member (who has finally stepped into the 21st century thank goodness), but I am aware too that some fine tuning, and adjustment of results of any one of these products can be modified-changed by the useage of different Pad agressiveness, and as well technique.

Thus, I'll no doubt be ordering these two Menzerna Polishes with my next AG order. Thanks again! Mark

Andr3wilson
01-17-2013, 07:14 PM
Thus, I'll no doubt be ordering these two Menzerna Polishes with my next AG order. Thanks again! Mark

Once you try them, you wont go back

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
01-17-2013, 08:12 PM
As Andrew just said, you may not use another compound line. I love Menzerna

CM8 6MT
01-17-2013, 08:16 PM
Once you try them, you wont go back

I tried, I went back :) But thats just me :D