PDA

View Full Version : Winter Prep Still Going Strong

sparty
01-16-2013, 04:47 PM
At the end of October I did a winter prep on all of my personal cars along with some clients vehicles. I did the same process on all of them. Considering that I live in PA and our winters can be tough on vehicle finishes I went about the task of using products that are known for their outstanding durability and protection. I am more than happy to report that my prep is still going strong after many months of rain, snow, sleet, ice, and road salt. I snapped these pics today as I came out of work.

I have not added anything other products to this car since its prep back in October. It was only washed a few times as well. The beading tells the story.

The beading on the hood:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMAG01211.jpg

The beading on the glass and trim:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMAG01251.jpg

-Sparty

The_2nd_G
01-16-2013, 05:00 PM
Nice. What products did you use?

zmcgovern45
01-16-2013, 05:09 PM

^This would be good to know!

sparty
01-16-2013, 09:14 PM

A really simple winter prep package for the exterior. After a good foaming and wash with CG Clear and stripping any remaining protection and contaminants with clay. A wipe down with Eraser.
First form of protection was DG 601/105 combo. It was then followed with 845. Wheels also were treated to 845 after a good cleaning. Two coats of Opti Bond on tires. Trim and door rubber was PERL'ed.

Simple. Inexpensive. Top notch LONG lasting protection. Oh, and a beautiful finish as well.

-Sparty

Neothin
01-16-2013, 09:19 PM
you're surprised that collinite lasts a while? There's a reason *everyone* uses it for the cold months :P

Rsurfer
01-16-2013, 09:32 PM
you're surprised that collinite lasts a while? There's a reason *everyone* uses it for the cold months :P
Who said that? Must be an invisible post.

sparty
01-16-2013, 09:59 PM

Never said that.

I said "I went about the task of using products that are known for their outstanding durability and protection." Hence the 845.

-Sparty

CM8 6MT
01-16-2013, 10:46 PM

I wouldnt go as far to say "everyone" uses it. I personally use it. Thats about as redundant as saying "everyone" uses Meguiar's or Menzerna products.

Speed-Dude
01-17-2013, 12:06 AM
How are the sides of the car looking? For example: the bottoms of the front doors and right behind the rear wheels. Those parts have died on me already lol

BradsDetailing
01-17-2013, 01:03 AM
Subd

sparty
01-17-2013, 07:40 AM
How are the sides of the car looking? For example: the bottoms of the front doors and right behind the rear wheels. Those parts have died on me already lol

I will try to get a pic of that for you sometime soon. We had snow yesterday and the roads are a mess of salt and slush this morning. A thin layer of filth on the lower parts right now but it seems to be sliding off as it sits. I'll get back to you.

BobbyG
01-17-2013, 07:50 AM
Duragloss makes some great products.

For general cleaning and slight correction Duragloss #501 is super and leaves behind some nice protection. To protect this Duragloss #105 mixed with a drop or two of Duragloss #601 really beings out the shine and adds months of durability.

Let this cure for a day....

In my opinion Collinite 845 is the supreme king of waxes for the utmost protection during those long winter months. It's not only meant for winter use and actually produces a gorgeous wet shine any time of the year....