PDA

View Full Version : Collinite - Sealant or Wax

Pages : [1] 2

nubaseal
01-16-2013, 12:19 PM
Hi all,

I am new to detailing and so far have used only 3M and Duragloss Sealants and Optimum Car Wax.

I have read good things about Collinite but am very confused whether they are sealants or waxes. C845 claims to be a cleaner, sealant and wax while C 915 claims to be a Carnuba Wax. If that is true, C 845 should be used as a sealant while C 915 should be used as a top up over a sealant for the Nuba gloss?

rmagnus
01-16-2013, 01:32 PM
Welcome.

Col845 is a sealant/wax. It is extremely durable and the shine/protection is about as good as they come. I do not see a need to apply carnuba wax on top of 845 but try it and see if you like the result.

845 is an awesome product to use after polishing IMO.

Setec Astronomy
01-16-2013, 01:52 PM
The Collinites are waxes with "resins" added, which makes them more than just a wax, but doesn't make them sealants in my book. If they claim cleaning action for 845, that's likely due to the solvent content.

CM8 6MT
01-16-2013, 01:56 PM
Welcome.

Col845 is a sealant/wax. It is extremely durable and the shine/protection is about as good as they come. I do not see a need to apply carnuba wax on top of 845 but try it and see if you like the result.

845 is an awesome product to use after polishing IMO.

Rmagnus is spot on. Colli is one of the most durable products on the market.

nubaseal
01-16-2013, 02:11 PM
Thanks guys. So, if its not a sealant; the durability and longetivity should be less than a typical sealant like a DG105 or Opti Seal or UPGP. Is that correct?

KenR
01-16-2013, 02:55 PM
I have used 845 as a LSP on top of Menzerna Sealant, so I use it as a wax. I get about a month of protection before I top it off with either more 845 or something else.

wanabe detailer
01-16-2013, 04:14 PM
I use 845 over Opti Seal. Great combo IMO

RZJZA80
01-16-2013, 05:42 PM
It's more of a wax IMO, as I apply any Collinite wax on top of sealants. The durability is the best as far as waxes go by themselves.

jjj
01-16-2013, 06:26 PM
Thanks guys. So, if its not a sealant; the durability and longetivity should be less than a typical sealant like a DG105 or Opti Seal or UPGP. Is that correct?

You can expect about 6mo out of it more if garaged alot. I put it on all my personal cars and looks great. thin thin thin.

FUNX650
01-16-2013, 06:50 PM
I have read good things about Collinite but am very confused whether they are sealants or waxes.

C845 claims to be a cleaner, sealant and wax

^^^Not so...According to the folks at Collinite^^^
{More about this is found in the below Collinite information}

-while C 915 claims to be a Carnuba Wax.
-If that is true,

^^^Yes...This is what the Collinite folks state to be true^^^

C 845 should be used as a sealant

^^^I'd rather say that C#845 can be used as an LSP to "seal" the paint surface^^^

while C 915 should be used as a top up over a sealant for the Nuba gloss?

^^^That's what a lot of people do...^^^
(They also use #915 as a stand-alone LSP)

@OP supernaut:

-Many different "points" can be made from many folks about why Colly #845:
'Is what it is...Does what it does'...

-And in that vein of thought...
Below are some links that I'm using as my "points-maker".

-From these links I draw a few conclusions:
1. #845, #476, and #915 have no: Polyamino-something or the other...listed in their MSDS.
(A hint, to me, that they are not synthetic/man-made-based products.)

2. The melting point of #476 and 915 is indicative, to me,
that they are waxy substance-based products

3. The reason behind why the Collinite folks do not supply the melting point of #845...Just may, indeed...
be the answer to the: Is #845 a wax, sealant, or a hybrid conundrum!!

-Irregardless of the conclusions you are able to discern from this post of mine...
IMHO...Not only is Collinite #845 an excellent LSP...
But so are its brothers: #915 & #476...
And a few of its Marine cousins as well!!
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

Collinite Automotive Wax Choice of the Pros » Collinite (http://www.collinite.com/automotive-wax/)

MSDS for #476s Super Doublecoat Paste Wax
http://www.collinite.com/assets/Uploads/MSDS-PDFs/Collinite476smsds.pdf

Section II - Hazard Ingredients/Identity Information
Distillates, petroleum, hydrotreated light…CAS 64742-47-8

-Melting Point: 132.8-143.6°F

http://www.collinite.com/assets/Uploads/Product-Tech-Sheets-PDF/TTech476pdf.pdf

From Tech Sheet
1. Function: Last step product for use on exterior vehicle finishes
• Enhances look and appearance
• Preserves and protects condition of finish against weathering/elements.
• Not designed to clean, remove or otherwise mask blemishes or imperfections; swirls,
scratches, oxidation, etc that are embedded in finish such that regular wash will not
remove.
• Contains no abrasives or cleaners

MSDS for #845 Insulator Wax
http://www.collinite.com/assets/Uploads/MSDS-PDFs/Collinite845msds.pdf

-Melting Point: Does not apply

http://www.collinite.com/assets/Uploads/Product-Tech-Sheets-PDF/TTech845pdf.pdf

• Not designed to clean, remove or otherwise mask blemishes or imperfections; swirls, scratches,
oxidation, etc that are embedded in finish such that regular wash will not remove.
• Contains no abrasives or cleaners.

MSDS for #915 Marque D’Elegance
http://www.collinite.com/assets/Uploads/MSDS-PDFs/Collinite915msds.pdf

Melting Point: 132.8-143.6°F

http://www.collinite.com/assets/Uploads/Product-Tech-Sheets-PDF/TTech915pdf.pdf
• Not designed to clean, remove or otherwise mask blemishes or imperfections; swirls, scratches,
oxidation, etc that are embedded in finish such that regular wash will not remove.
• Contains no abrasives or cleaners.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23263-difference-between-cleaner-wax-finishing-wax.html<<<Good Read...IMO!!

Some exerpts from the above Mike Phillips Article:

A finishing wax or finishing sealant would not contain any ingredients with the intended ability to clean or abrade the paint.

Car Wax
Contains some kind of naturally occurring waxy type substance, for example Carnauba wax.

Paint Sealant
Made from synthetic or all man-made ingredients.

Finishing Waxes
A product that offers no cleaning ability with the focus on maximizing beauty with the protection based upon naturally occurring ingredients.

Finishing Sealants
A product that offers no cleaning ability with the focus on maximizing beauty with the protection based upon synthetic ingredients.

Taking your car's finish to it's maximum potential
Assuming the paint on your car is truly in excellent condition, a finishing wax, sealant or hybrid will take your car’s paint to it's highest level or it's maximum potential.

...a formula can use Carnauba Wax as it's PRIMARY PROTECTION INGREDIENT but contain man-made ingredients just as a matter of creating a medium in which to hold or suspend the Carnauba, that's why I worded the above article by defining a category by the primary protection ingredient.

Truth is none of will ever know all the ingredients whether natural or synthetic in any product, so we have to go by the general information provided.

So if a product is touted as being natural or the primary protection ingredient is a naturally occurring ingredient then I placed it into the car wax group.

If product is touted as being synthetic or at least the primary protection ingredients are primarily synthetic ingredients, then I placed it into the synthetic paint sealant category.

Not all products will fit EXACTLY into a specific group so the idea was to get it close, not exact.

Autogeek's Showcase of Paint Protectants

Finishing Waxes
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/719/FinishingWaxes006.jpg

I hope this helps in some small way.

:)

Bob

DEXTERITY
01-16-2013, 07:57 PM
Can you use blackfire sealant on top of it? Or do you use 845 on top of the sealant? I don't know the rule of thumb on things of that nature.

Hoytman
01-16-2013, 08:27 PM
Absolutely and excellent post, Bob! :dblthumb2:

FUNX650
01-16-2013, 08:38 PM
Absolutely and excellent post, Bob! :dblthumb2:

Thank you Bill...
You are indeed very kind!

:)

Bob

wanabe detailer
01-16-2013, 09:31 PM
Nice! FunX725. Doesn't get any clearer than that!

Success
01-16-2013, 09:38 PM
sealant first then collinite