PDA

View Full Version : How Often Are You Guys Polishing??

Pages : [1] 2

trhland
05-02-2007, 04:57 PM
HOW OFTEN DO YOU GUYS POLISH YOUR OWN CARS? 2 TIMES A YEAR IS THAT TO MUCH? WITH A P/C I DONT WANT TO REMOVE TO MUCH CLEAR. OR ARE YOU REALLY REMOVING ANY WITH A P/C I HEARD IT SAFE TO USE A P.C AS MUCH AS YOU WANT . BUT THAT DOESNT MAKE SENSE TO ME YOU HAVE TO REMOVE SOME KIND OF CLEAR TO REMOVE A SWIRL RIGHT??HMMMM

budman3
05-02-2007, 05:07 PM
We bought a Tacoma in Sept. 2005. I did a clay and polish with Poorboy's PwC white and topped with Klasse SG. The following spring, probably March 2006, I did a hand polish with High Temp light polish. During the summer I did Klasse AIO and SG again. It's due for a polishing now but the most aggressive that I'll go on it is SSR1... the color is silver so I'm not concerned with removing all of the light swirls that are there.

As for the CC issue. It is possible over time. Removing swirls isn't magic :) To do so you are either removing the sharp edges of the swirls to make it less visible or are actually cutting the clear to the base of the swirl... so yes you are removing clear, but hopefully it is so miniscule that you'll be fine. If you are needing to use XMT4 or SSR2.5 or 3, OHC, etc with cutting pads more than 2x a year, I'd be a little concerned...

robzie
05-02-2007, 05:08 PM
I also would like to know as I'm planning to do a re-polish this weekend (after a detail 2 weeks ago). wanted to try a new product and technique since I wasn't successful from the previous work.....all via PC, of course

trhland
05-02-2007, 05:16 PM
We bought a Tacoma in Sept. 2005. I did a clay and polish with Poorboy's PwC white and topped with Klasse SG. The following spring, probably March 2006, I did a hand polish with High Temp light polish. During the summer I did Klasse AIO and SG again. It's due for a polishing now but the most aggressive that I'll go on it is SSR1... the color is silver so I'm not concerned with removing all of the light swirls that are there.

As for the CC issue. It is possible over time. Removing swirls isn't magic :) To do so you are either removing the sharp edges of the swirls to make it less visible or are actually cutting the clear to the base of the swirl... so yes you are removing clear, but hopefully it is so miniscule that you'll be fine. If you are needing to use XMT4 or SSR2.5 or 3, OHC, etc with cutting pads more than 2x a year, I'd be a little concerned...ive been useing optimums polish and a medium green foam pad so im not really going aggresive so i guess ill be ok thanks!! for info

BILL
05-02-2007, 05:17 PM
HOW OFTEN DO YOU GUYS POLISH YOUR OWN CARS? 2 TIMES A YEAR IS THAT TO MUCH? WITH A P/C I DONT WANT TO REMOVE TO MUCH CLEAR. OR ARE YOU REALLY REMOVING ANY WITH A P/C I HEARD IT SAFE TO USE A P.C AS MUCH AS YOU WANT . BUT THAT DOESNT MAKE SENSE TO ME YOU HAVE TO REMOVE SOME KIND OF CLEAR TO REMOVE A SWIRL RIGHT??HMMMM

I POLISH EVERY SIX MONTHS......ALSO DEPENDS IF YOUR CARS A GARAGE QUEEN LIKE ANOTHER I HAVE...AND POLISHED ONCE IN 2 YEARS...JUST WAX OR SEALED MONTHLY....

trhland
05-02-2007, 05:19 PM
I POLISH EVERY SIX MONTHS......ALSO DEPENDS IF YOUR CARS A GARAGE QUEEN LIKE ANOTHER I HAVE...AND POLISHED ONCE IN 2 YEARS...JUST WAX OR SEALED MONTHLY....well im a landscaper so im useing mine for work .after we do a job we blow off the property and then i useally pull away in a cloud of dust and dirt :D owell:D

BILL
05-02-2007, 05:22 PM
well im a landscaper so im useing mine for work .after we do a job we blow off the property and then i useally pull away in a cloud of dust and dirt :D owell:D

cloud of dust n dirt :confused: ouch!:p

ltoman
05-02-2007, 05:41 PM
That depends on the environment, where the car is at night and where it is driven - that is all going to vary between us. Plus how tough is the clear? How old is the car? When it needs it, you do it. Sorry, I know that is a sucky answer - but at least it is an answer.
Don't make Sammie polish in the hot sun!!!
Lauren

trhland
05-02-2007, 05:42 PM
That depends on the environment, where the car is at night and where it is driven - that is all going to vary between us. Plus how tough is the clear? How old is the car? When it needs it, you do it. Sorry, I know that is a sucky answer - but at least it is an answer.
Don't make Sammie polish in the hot sun!!!
Laurendam thats a sucky answer:p j/k

ltoman
05-02-2007, 05:45 PM
:(:(tommy.....

BILL
05-02-2007, 05:46 PM
dam thats a sucky answer:p j/k

MAY BE SUCKY BUT IT'S RIGHT ON....;)

trhland
05-02-2007, 05:50 PM
just havin fun over here love ya lauren:D

P1et
05-02-2007, 06:34 PM
I try to polish as little as possible. Since I'm looking at keeping my truck for a while, I focus on techniques to apply as little marring in my paint as possible.

I wash the truck with the ShMITT, plenty of soap as lube and dry with the shop vac and then get rid of any remaining water with the Guzzler.

It's been a year since I've done the full SSR2.5 and SSR1 and I must say that I don't feel the need to polish yet.

Gary Sword
05-02-2007, 06:41 PM
I feel the same way as P1et. I try to polish my cars as litte as possible. I do everything I can to prevent swirls in the first place.

trhland
05-02-2007, 06:59 PM
maybe ill use a glaze instead of polishing to much .