PDA

View Full Version : M100 M101 M105 for DA use... some questions...

Pages : [1] 2 3

DaC
01-15-2013, 07:09 AM
I know it might be a bit to early to ask these questions, but as I'll checkout a new cart soon I need to ask....

M101 / M100 were not designed for DA, I get this part...... but as you all know we usually don't pay much attention to that.... :hungry:

Do anyone had any experience between these 3 compounds on a DA ?

Does 105 < 100 = 101 is the right aggressiveness scale ?

Working time on a DA from both 100 and 101 are much better than with m105 ?

I'm basically looking for something that cuts more than M105, has longer work cycle, will work great with MF PADS and dusts much less....

M101 costs 2x more than 100... maybe the price justifies on a rotary, maybe not when used on a DA.....

just wondering these things.... what do you guys think ?

Mike Phillips
01-15-2013, 08:00 AM
I'm basically looking for something that cuts more than M105, has longer work cycle, will work great with MF PADS and dusts much less....

If you're using a DA then get M101. We used it with 5 different tools and multiple types of pads and it worked incredible no matter how we used it.

M101 Foam-Cut Compound

M101 Foam Cut Compound - 1999 Trans Am Extreme Makeover at Autogeek (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-autogeek-s-car-week/57274-m101-foam-cut-compound-1999-trans-am-extreme-makeover-autogeek.html)

Getting busy with Meguiar's 101 Foam Pad Compound!

On the left is Tim aka 57BORNTORUN using the Makita BO6040 with a Surbuf MicroFinger Pad and M101 - On the right is Paul aka Sailfish, graduate of my Detailing Boot Camp Class using a Flex 3401 with a Lake Country Ultra Microfiber Pad with Meguiar's M101 Foam-Cut Compound.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1619/1999_Trans_Am_M101_Finished_025.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1619/1999_Trans_Am_M101_Finished_026.jpg

Jeff working M101 with the G110v2...
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1619/1999_Trans_Am_M101_Finished_034.jpg

Jeff Bell, a full-time professional detailer always helps me with the more intricate or complex areas to buff, here he's working M101 with the Griot's 3" Mini Polisher using a Meguiar's 3" Microfiber Cutting Disc...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1619/1999_Trans_Am_M101_Finished_038.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1619/1999_Trans_Am_M101_Finished_039.jpg

Me working M101 with a DeWALT 849X with a Meguiar's W7207 Foam Cutting Pad...
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1619/1999_Trans_Am_M101_Finished_040.jpg

Here's Jay working M101 using a Meguiar's 6" Microfiber Cutting Disc on a 3M Orbital Air Sander...
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1619/1999_Trans_Am_M101_Finished_043.jpg

What do you think?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1619/1999_Trans_Am_M101_Finished_005.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1619/1999_Trans_Am_M101_Finished_024.jpg

M100 Pro Speed Compound

I have not tried M100 with a DA Polisher but when I've used it with a rotary buffer with a wool pad it's has to be one of the best compounds on the market for this application today.

This 4-hour live broadcast is jam packed full of tips and techniques for everything including,

Machine sanding
Hand sanding
Using a rotary buffer with a compound and a wool pad
Using the Flex 3401
Using a PC style DA Polisher
Chemically stripping the paint
Applying Gtechniq C1 Crystal Lacquer

1965 Mustang GT Fastback - Wetsanding - Live Broadcast (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-autogeek-s-car-week/58597-1965-mustang-gt-fastback-wetsanding-live-broadcast.html)

And I think the results speed for themselves...

Getting busy with it...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1676/1965_Mustang_Wetsand_Autogeek_005.jpg

Here's Robert aka Impressions using a DeWALT 849X Rotary Buffer with a Lake Country Wool Pad and Meguiar's M100 Pro Speed Compound.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1676/1965_Mustang_Wetsand_Autogeek_006.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1676/1965_Mustang_Wetsand_Autogeek_018.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1676/1965_Mustang_Wetsand_Autogeek_025.jpg

:)

2old2change
01-15-2013, 08:07 AM
I have used M100 with a da and was impressed. Using both a mf and a foam pad the M100 cut better then the M105 and had a longer working time with less dusting.The M100 does have less cut then M101.

DaC
01-15-2013, 08:45 AM
If you're using a DA then get M101. We used it with 5 different tools and multiple types of pads and it worked incredible no matter how we used it.

M100 Pro Speed Compound

I have not tried M100 with a DA Polisher but when I've used it with a rotary buffer with a wool pad it's has to be one of the best compounds on the market for this application today.

This 4-hour live broadcast is jam packed full of tips and techniques for everything including,

Thank you a lot for your input Mike! M101 does seems to be a very versatile compound.

M100 on the other hand still lacks more testing from the community as for DA use as it seems to me.

BTW... I saw on another post you were thinking about using the car pro orange peel pads on this particular car, why did you skipped it ?

I have used M100 with a da and was impressed. Using both a mf and a foam pad the M100 cut better then the M105 and had a longer working time with less dusting.The M100 does have less cut then M101.

I also saw one of the last videos from Garry Dean were he was absolutely amazed with M100 + MF Pad + Rupes 21

For Now it's 2 opinions in favor of M100 + MF pad on a DA.... that's great!

Do you guys think ? M101 cuts a bunch more than M100 or just a little more ?

I've faced a very hard repaint job 2 weeks ago, unfortunately I was traveling to work on this car and could only carry my g110v2 with MF pads and D300..... and I wasn't able to touch defects on the repaint areas... except for the trunk that I was able to push an insane amount of pressure which end up leading 1 of my pads to failure. At least I was able to correct it and something else... I got really impressed that I actually decreased the horrible orange peel (almost like sanding) from that terrible paint job, using that combo.... As soon as my client sends me the pictures I'll post it.

So this was when I figured having something more aggressive than m105 wouldn't be that bad...
And I also need to learn how to control my 849x.... I'm having a really hard time doing this.

Mike Phillips
01-15-2013, 09:36 AM
Thank you a lot for your input Mike! M101 does seems to be a very versatile compound.

BTW... I saw on another post you were thinking about using the car pro orange peel pads on this particular car, why did you skipped it ?

I hope someday you can join us for one of our projects. You'll find they are a lot of fun but also very compressed for time. There's the wish list of all the things you want to do and then there's reality and what can be done.

The two videos showing from start to finish are 4 HOURS long and that was skipping the orange peel removal pads. So "yes" I wanted to but in reality, leading a team of people to wetsand, cut and buff a true streetrod is a huge undertaking as it is.

I also saw one of the last videos from Garry Dean were he was absolutely amazed with M100 + MF Pad + Rupes 21

While I know everyone under the sun likes to push the envelope including myself, M100 was purposefully formulated for use with a rotary buffer by chemists that really know what they are doing. I spoke with Jason Rose about this product just last week and for now I'm going to use it as intended and that is with a rotary buffer and a wool pad. There are other products available formulated for use with tools that oscillate instead of only rotating.

I've faced a very hard repaint job 2 weeks ago, unfortunately I was traveling to work on this car and could only carry my g110v2 with MF pads and D300..... and I wasn't able to touch defects on the repaint areas... except for the trunk that I was able to push an insane amount of pressure which end up leading 1 of my pads to failure. At least I was able to correct it and something else... I got really impressed that I actually decreased the horrible orange peel (almost like sanding) from that terrible paint job, using that combo.... As soon as my client sends me the pictures I'll post it.

Dampsand with #3000 followed by #5000 and then use M100 with a wool pad on a rotary buffer and you'll be amazed.

And I also need to learn how to control my 849x.... I'm having a really hard time doing this.

Working on scheduling a dedicated wetsanding and rotary buffer class here at Autogeek, when I announce it, clear your schedule and do what it takes to be here.

Pinpoint_Precision
01-15-2013, 09:57 AM
Mike, how much those classes go for? Also do we get anything (certificate ) from this classes? I would love to include this is my soon to come website and business cards. Your name is very well known around my clients so I think, business and experience wise it would definitely help me gain more clients and my clients would feel more comfortable as well when I am doing a step correction. Thanks in advance.

g26er
01-15-2013, 09:59 AM

While I know everyone under the sun likes to push the envelope including myself, M100 was purposefully formulated for use with a rotary buffer by chemists that really know what they are doing. I spoke with Jason Rose about this product just last week and for now I'm going to use it as intended and that is with a rotary buffer and a wool pad. There are other products available formulated for use with tools that oscillate instead of only rotating.

You recommend M101 over M100 for a DA yet it sounds like you never tried M100 with a DA because it was designed for rotary. But isn't M101 "designed for rotary" as well? Why try one and not the other with a DA? Wouldn't it be more fair to recommend M101 over M100 on a DA after you've tried both on a DA?

I'm assuming by reading your post that you haven't tried M100 / DA combo so forgive me if I missed that part.

It's hard to ask this without coming across as a smart ass. That's not my intention. I really want to know 'cause I'm truly interested in both of these compounds. Thanks :)

bmwohio
01-15-2013, 11:05 AM
Dang! That M101 is expensive!

rmagnus
01-15-2013, 12:00 PM
subscribed

Fishincricket
01-15-2013, 01:37 PM
subscribed

X2

DaC
01-15-2013, 02:15 PM
I hope someday you can join us for one of our projects. You'll find they are a lot of fun but also very compressed for time. There's the wish list of all the things you want to do and then there's reality and what can be done.

I totally understand what you mean, I'll make sure next time I'll travel to the US you guys have a project scheduled so I can join in too :dblthumb2:

The two videos showing from start to finish are 4 HOURS long and that was skipping the orange peel removal pads. So "yes" I wanted to but in reality, leading a team of people to wetsand, cut and buff a true streetrod is a huge undertaking as it is.

You guys really do some magic making that happening in only 4 hours, everything must be on the right place to make it possible.

Makes sense, because using the product as intended to be, it will sure make most of your money and time...

Dampsand with #3000 followed by #5000 and then use M100 with a wool pad on a rotary buffer and you'll be amazed.

These are some skills that I still need to learn to do it right....

Working on scheduling a dedicated wetsanding and rotary buffer class here at Autogeek, when I announce it, clear your schedule and do what it takes to be here.

You have no idea on how I'd love to be able to attend to your classes Mike... Unfortunately I need to get to an airplane to get there... :laughing:
At least my documents are 100&#37; green to go, and I can travel up there anytime.

Mike, how much those classes go for? Also do we get anything (certificate ) from this classes? I would love to include this is my soon to come website and business cards. Your name is very well known around my clients so I think, business and experience wise it would definitely help me gain more clients and my clients would feel more comfortable as well when I am doing a step correction. Thanks in advance.

I don't know about specific classes but boot camp has its info here:
Mike Phillips' Detailing Boot Camp - May 4th & 5th, 2013 (http://www.autogeek.net/detailing-boot-camp.html)

You recommend M101 over M100 for a DA yet it sounds like you never tried M100 with a DA because it was designed for rotary. But isn't M101 "designed for rotary" as well? Why try one and not the other with a DA? Wouldn't it be more fair to recommend M101 over M100 on a DA after you've tried both on a DA?

I'm assuming by reading your post that you haven't tried M100 / DA combo so forgive me if I missed that part.

It's hard to ask this without coming across as a smart ass. That's not my intention. I really want to know 'cause I'm truly interested in both of these compounds. Thanks :)

I understand your demand.... but Mike is one great pillar to the detailing community producing so much information and teaching so many people.... I know he is the guy behind a bunch of information that made (and still do) me learn many many stuff about detailing... He's also the voice behind AG on the Internet community.... and very close to Meguiars and others Brands.... I know you agree with me on that......
For these reasons he has to weight too much things before answering some types of questions....
I'm quite sure he does a lot of stuff that he won't publish on the net.... it may sound silly, but when I was a totally beguinner I had many many doubts... I took almost 3 days just to figure how the pad got attached to the machine....... so keeping things simple helps more and more people that are coming to AGO day by day....
One wrong recommendation from him can lead many people (specially beginners) buying the wrong stuff and being unhappy or even making terrible mistakes when working with the products...
So if he isn't 100% sure about what he's saying, he'll probably keep it to himself or some more close people.

I figured that to get some Mike's answers right you must weight his duties... ... :dblthumb2:

ww2717
01-15-2013, 02:26 PM
Where does M-105's level of cut fall between M-101 and M-100?

g26er
01-15-2013, 03:13 PM
I understand your demand.... but Mike is one great pillar to the detailing community producing so much information and teaching so many people.... I know he is the guy behind a bunch of information that made (and still do) me learn many many stuff about detailing... He's also the voice behind AG on the Internet community.... and very close to Meguiars and others Brands.... I know you agree with me on that......
For these reasons he has to weight too much things before answering some types of questions....
I'm quite sure he does a lot of stuff that he won't publish on the net.... it may sound silly, but when I was a totally beguinner I had many many doubts... I took almost 3 days just to figure how the pad got attached to the machine....... so keeping things simple helps more and more people that are coming to AGO day by day....
One wrong recommendation from him can lead many people (specially beginners) buying the wrong stuff and being unhappy or even making terrible mistakes when working with the products...
So if he isn't 100&#37; sure about what he's saying, he'll probably keep it to himself or some more close people.

I figured that to get some Mike's answers right you must weight his duties... ... :dblthumb2:

Please don't take what I said wrong. I know Mike is a good guy and I look up to him and find his life story inspirational.

M101 was designed for rotary and foam pads. Mikes has tried it on rotary, forced rotation DA and regular DA along with Surbuf, microfiber and foam pads.
M100 was designed for rotary and wool pads. Mike stated that he would rather stick the manufacturer recommendation with this one.
I'm just asking why the willingness to deviate from the manufacturers recommendations on one, but not the other? Not trying to be an ass, I just really want to know.

The next thing I'm curious about is why the recommendation of M101/DA over M100/DA when he (I assume by his posts) hasn't tried M100/DA yet? Seeing Mike's results with M101/DA are impressive, but Gary Dean's results with M100/DA are impressive as well. I'm just curious why someone would recommend M101/DA over M100/DA when they haven't tried both. Again, not trying to be an ass I just really want to know.

I understand what you're saying about not wanting to make the wrong recommendation, but in this case he did make a recommendation. I'm very interested in the latest compounds (FG400, M101, M100, etc...) so I'm just trying to get the big picture. I'm not the first to ask someone why they would recommend product A over product B. It's hard to type something that questions another persons thoughts/ideas/opinions without sounding like you're trying to ruffle feathers and I just want to be clear... I'm asking these things with good intentions. :)

Mike Phillips
01-15-2013, 04:20 PM

Hey good questions...

M101 has been imported back into the U.S. by private citizens for months before it was officially introduced to the U.S. market by Meguiar's. Because of this many people have already been using it ever conceivable way with good result.

I've had M101 since March of last year...

M101 Foam-Cut Compound - Thank you Gregory! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/47357-m101-foam-cut-compound-thank-you-gregory.html)

M101 is brand new to our market and I have not had as much time to work with it. In fact, the FIRST time I used it was after wetsanding a section on the 1965 Mustang and then using it to remove my sanding marks.

I practice staying on message as best as possible when using a company's product especially when it's brand new. I spoke with Jason Rose, the product manager for this product and he explained to me that it's really designed and formulated for use with a wool pad and a rotary buffer. If anyone should know how best results are achieved I'm confident Jason is the man.

So I've had "time" to use it once. I used it as the directions recommended and as recommended by the product manager for the product.

That's why I have not recommended it for use any other way. By the way, it works really great when used as directed.

Nope, not yet. I stay really busy... couple examples...

Behind the scenes pictures with Hink's Mustang (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/59180-behind-scenes-pictures-hink-s-mustang.html)

1965 Mustang GT Fastback - Wetsanding - Live Broadcast (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-autogeek-s-car-week/58597-1965-mustang-gt-fastback-wetsanding-live-broadcast.html)

Been creating Power Points for these, (which is kind of time-consuming).

How To Use A Rotary Buffer Class at 2013 Mobil Tech Expo (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/company-forum-news-headlines/59453-how-use-rotary-buffer-class-2013-mobil-tech-expo.html)

Plus a lot more going on behind the scenes...

Hey great questions...

I like both products and Meguiar's has hit two more home runs...

:xyxthumbs:

Mike Phillips
01-15-2013, 04:23 PM
Mike stated that he would rather stick the manufacturer recommendation with this one.

I'm just asking why the willingness to deviate from the manufacturers recommendations on one, but not the other? Not trying to be an ass, I just really want to know.

See above..