PDA

View Full Version : Can Opti-Coat 2.0 be topped?

Pages : [1] 2

Mikertt
01-15-2013, 05:50 AM
Hey fellow detailers. Just wondering if Opti-Coat 2.0 can be sealed and topped with a Carnauba wax or not. I purchased a kit a month ago but, I haven't used it yet. I wanted to find out if you are supposed to just let it cure and then leave it alone or can it be waxed like a regular clear coat after the curing time has passed. Thank you everyone!

A-train
01-15-2013, 06:58 AM
You can top it however, the carnuba wax will not bond properly to opti-coat 2.0 so it basically wasting carnuba wax. If you want to top it with something Permanon and Carpro Reload are highly recomended to assist with hydrophobic properties as dirt and dust repellency.

BobbyG
01-15-2013, 07:02 AM
An important step when using Optimum Opti-Coat is to properly prep the finish prior to its application. Optimum Opti-Coat is a thin but very hard costing that will encase what ever finish defects exist so polishing the finish prior to its application is a must.

Once the product has cured, you can apply just about any topper but one I'd recommend is Permanon. Permanon is a spray on product that works with charged particles. When mixed at 5% 10% with distilled water the product is simply sprayed on, allowed to sit for a few minutes then dried with a Guzzler towel.

I've found that Permanon leaves the finish super slick and repels dust and dirt making washing a breeze. This really opens itself up to washing with rinseless washes if you choose...

Mikertt
01-15-2013, 04:34 PM
Thank you for the advice on Opti-Coat you guys. I guess from what I understand is that once you coat the car, only thing you can use is Permanon. I guess that means no more sealant or waxes being used on the car that gets coated. I was under the impression that it was a kind of DIY clear coat thing but, without respraying the car.

yakky
01-15-2013, 04:55 PM
I've tried several products on top of Opticoat and have gotten close to two months of durability using 845, BFWD, FK1000P and DG105. Opticoat has very relaxed beading, the above products do not, it was very easy to tell that they were still on the surface. I might have gotten more durability but I couldn't take it and used a spray wax.

jlax2485
01-15-2013, 10:10 PM
how about topping opti-coat 2.0 with opti-seal? Would this combination be more durable than products from other manufacturers?

burkorobe
01-15-2013, 10:24 PM
I was under the impression that it was a kind of DIY clear coat thing but, without respraying the car.

psynx
01-16-2013, 12:11 AM
You can top it however, the carnuba wax will not bond properly to opti-coat 2.0 so it basically wasting carnuba wax. If you want to top it with something Permanon and Carpro Reload are highly recomended to assist with hydrophobic properties as dirt and dust repellency.

An important step when using Optimum Opti-Coat is to properly prep the finish prior to its application. Optimum Opti-Coat is a thin but very hard costing that will encase what ever finish defects exist so polishing the finish prior to its application is a must.

Once the product has cured, you can apply just about any topper but one I'd recommend is Permanon. Permanon is a spray on product that works with charged particles. When mixed at 5% 10% with distilled water the product is simply sprayed on, allowed to sit for a few minutes then dried with a Guzzler towel.

I've found that Permanon leaves the finish super slick and repels dust and dirt making washing a breeze. This really opens itself up to washing with rinseless washes if you choose...
holy crap i just googled Permanon and that thing is 133 for 16 oz!!!!! BALLER!!!!!

Johny B
01-16-2013, 12:38 AM
I have been told that Opti Guard, the pro version, is thicker than OC. Am I right?

D_Nyholm
01-16-2013, 02:45 PM
I have been using Optimum Car Wax to gain a little slicknesz and enhance the shine. While I have never gotten much durability out of OCW, either on top of OC 2.0 or by itself, it does add a little something and is super easy to use.

Lim3
02-13-2013, 02:32 PM
why cant OC2.0 be coated with a wax ? after all, it is a clear coat and we try to keep our clear coats from getting swirled and scratched.

KneeDragr
02-13-2013, 03:08 PM
why cant OC2.0 be coated with a wax ? after all, it is a clear coat and we try to keep our clear coats from getting swirled and scratched.

Apparently its too slippery, the wax will just wipe off onto your towel as you buff it.

Permanon works because its a weak electrical/magnetic bond, it sticks to anything of a particular polarity.

Lim3
02-13-2013, 04:18 PM
So that sucks. There's Nothibg I can cost it with every other wash to get it looking nice an waxed along with preventing any scratches to it

Old Tiger
02-13-2013, 07:43 PM
My buddy is spot on. The new CarPro Hydro2 looks very promising too. I will try it this weekend. ReLoad is by far the best value.

Lim3
02-13-2013, 07:58 PM
Is reload and the other offer any benifits as far as protection goes to prevent scratches to the OC ?