PDA

View Full Version : Finishing pad soaking up product...

TH3M B0N3Z
01-14-2013, 08:10 PM
I have a Lake Country black finishing pad that I use for my Chemical Guys glaze and man... does it suck product up like a vacuum. Part of it is my fault because I did use quite a bit of the glaze, but the pad itself seems to soak it up so much that it almost forces me to use more product. Is there a way to remedy this or something? If I add an adequate amount of product, it'll eventually seem to go dry, thus needing more product. But it's like the more I add, the more the pad soaks up. I rinsed out the finishing pad when I was done glazing my car and I swear I squeezed out about 2 to 4 more nickel-sized amounts. I put it back in the bottle, lol.

So is this all operator error or does my LC pad just soak up too much?

spiralout462
01-14-2013, 08:45 PM
I found the blue to soak up a little but not the black. I guess it could be operator, or product, or a combo. I guess thats why Hydrotechs are so popular around here.

Johny B
01-14-2013, 09:13 PM
How to prime a foam pad when using a DA Polisher (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/35292-how-prime-foam-pad-when-using-da-polisher.html)

Hope this helps.

swanicyouth
01-14-2013, 09:28 PM
That's one of the reasons I don't use a machine for glazes and sealants - IMHO too much gets wasted in the pad. I'm pretty impressed in how fast you can spread out liquids with a Polishin' Pal and a 3.5" pad.

You may want to try Hydrotech pads. Closed cell structure should keep more product on the surface - or that's the theory.

TH3M B0N3Z
01-14-2013, 10:27 PM
That's one of the reasons I don't use a machine for glazes and sealants - IMHO too much gets wasted in the pad. I'm pretty impressed in how fast you can spread out liquids with a Polishin' Pal and a 3.5" pad.

You may want to try Hydrotech pads. Closed cell structure should keep more product on the surface - or that's the theory.

I have the trio of Hydrotech pads, but I use the red one for my Menzerna sealant and I didn't want to put the glaze on my dedicated sealant pad. Maybe I'll just order another red HT pad. It soaks up a little bit of the sealant, but nowhere near as much.

The only wax I can spread out easily by hand is carnauba wax. With sealants, they're so sticky and stronger, my hand start cramping something terrible. Once I started waxing/sealing with the PC... I quickly became spoiled, lol.

mwoolfso
01-14-2013, 11:05 PM
that's one of the reasons i don't use a machine for glazes and sealants - imho too much gets wasted in the pad. I'm pretty impressed in how fast you can spread out liquids with a polishin' pal and a 3.5" pad.

absolutely!

RLucky82
01-23-2013, 10:58 PM
What I do is on the last couple of panels, I stop adding product and just squish the pad down on the panel and that releases enough to finish the car :-)

TH3M B0N3Z
01-24-2013, 06:01 PM
What I do is on the last couple of panels, I stop adding product and just squish the pad down on the panel and that releases enough to finish the car :-)

Yeah, I actually noticed that once before. I probably could have waxed my car halfway around again with what was left in the pad, lol.

briamonto
01-25-2013, 12:07 AM
That's one of the reasons I don't use a machine for glazes and sealants

cardaddy
01-25-2013, 02:18 AM

And I see some others don't as well.
OTOH Megs 21 for instance says to use a machine, even gives speeds for a rotary. :dunno: I've done it without but like it a lot better with. It's not the soaking up that kills me, it's trying to wash the darned thing! :laughing:

CM8 6MT
01-25-2013, 02:30 AM

Like any other product you have to know how to use it. I use a machine to apply everything, work smarter not harder :)

I agree, this method works well especially on a properly primed pad.

cardaddy
01-25-2013, 07:23 PM
Like any other product you have to know how to use it. I use a machine to apply everything, work smarter not harder :)

I agree, this method works well especially on a properly primed pad.

:iagree:Nothing like 2 coats of M21 that I didn't have to get on my hands. ;)