PDA

View Full Version : Dashboard help, residue removed now no shine

Pages : [1] 2

ENDEE666
01-14-2013, 04:49 PM
So I just picked up a 2003 Volvo XC70. Interior was mostly mint except a residue from duct tape or something on the dash. So on instinct, I used Goo Gone. It was VERY difficult, so I fear I got a bit too rough with it. The adhesive is gone, but so is the shine in that spot where I had to scrub hard. It doesn't feel as slick as the rest either, it feels like the shell/coating is gone there.

How can I restore this?? Thanks in advance!

CM8 6MT
01-14-2013, 06:12 PM
So I just picked up a 2003 Volvo XC70. Interior was mostly mint except a residue from duct tape or something on the dash. So on instinct, I used Goo Gone. It was VERY difficult, so I fear I got a bit too rough with it. The adhesive is gone, but so is the shine in that spot where I had to scrub hard. It doesn't feel as slick as the rest either, it feels like the shell/coating is gone there.

How can I restore this?? Thanks in advance!

What exactly did you scrub it with? MF towel? Is your dash vinyl or leather? Pics would help.

What I would of done different is very lightly damp Goo Gone with an MF towel, then lightly rub the area with an APC cleaner with a MF towel.

Edit: Hopefully you just removed whatever protectant was on there prior, if any from the previous owner. You might be able to restore it its shine back with some 303 or Megs Ultimate Protectant. Like I said, hard to tell whats really going on without pics.

esv5454
01-14-2013, 06:28 PM
:iagree: You might also want to look into the Wolfgang Cockpit Trim Sealant. I have been using 303 for a very long time and swear by it but the Cockpit Trim Sealant steps it up even a little bit more.

ENDEE666
01-14-2013, 10:34 PM
I think a sealant might be what I need. I used a terry towel & a kitchen sponge. It seams like it lost the 'crust' or outer coat where it's now dull. It's softer there, where the rest has sort of a shell. And it lost the sheen the rest has. The dash is padded, not like hard plastic. Pretty sure it's vinyl but it may be leather. The seats & door trim inserts are leather. Pic below, taken with phone. The area around it still looks wet, but it should help you guys get the idea...

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb478/endee666/DashPic_zpseaa69cb3.jpg

cleanmycorolla
01-14-2013, 11:12 PM
^^Looks like you took some of the color off

ENDEE666
01-14-2013, 11:15 PM
I think that is just the photo & flash reflection. It's more of a texture/sheen difference than color. I will clean it off & get a new pic.

CM8 6MT
01-14-2013, 11:17 PM
^^Looks like you took some of the color off

Thats what I figured as well from the looks of it.

ENDEE666
01-14-2013, 11:48 PM
Better pic below. It looks like it maybe did dillute the dye, but there is a noticeable 'feeling' difference. The bulk of the dash has a smooth finish and this area feels softer, almost like rubber. More grippy. I think its the finish as well as color. How can I fix both issues?

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb478/endee666/DashPic2_zps2c2644a7.jpg

CM8 6MT
01-14-2013, 11:51 PM
Better pic below. It looks like it maybe did dillute the dye, but there is a noticeable 'feeling' difference. The bulk of the dash has a smooth finish and this area feels softer, almost like rubber. More grippy. I think its the finish as well as color. How can I fix both issues?

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb478/endee666/DashPic2_zps2c2644a7.jpg

Dude how rough was this "kitchen sponge" you used? Goo Gone itself is not harsh, I use it on paint to remove decals.

Im afraid the only fix is to remove the dash and paint the entire thing with some Vinyl Spray Paint. Unless any one else has a better idea.

ENDEE666
01-14-2013, 11:57 PM
Well most of the process was the sponge side, but to get into the texture of the dash I tried the scubber side. Normally it's like a Scotch Brite, but this was a much older sponge where it wore down. So I thought it would be safe. I screwed up, I realize that now. This duct tape residue was really on there way more than expected. But it definitely scuffed the texture. So I need to get that sealed shine back, as well as possibly the color if it's more than just shine & texture.

No way I am removing the dash to spray it. If anything I will try to find a dye or something that can be applied by rag or sponge. Kinda like the "Showroom New" products that restore plastic bumpers & trim back to gray or black. But the dash is not coming out or getting sprayed, that's for sure.

supercharged
01-15-2013, 12:15 AM
goo gone has removed some of the color...

ENDEE666
01-15-2013, 12:17 AM
goo gone has removed some of the color...

Correct. As well as texture. The question is how can I restore the color & texture?

weekendwarrior
01-15-2013, 06:30 AM
You removed texture? That means you removed plastic/vinyl material. You would "restore it" by replacing it. You can try a junk yard for a new dash. You can try a paint, but it won't restore the "texture", you must have sanded it down with the scrubber edge, that means its gone for good.

ENDEE666
01-15-2013, 09:40 AM
Well if vinyl is a type of plastic, can't it be buffed or sealed like plastics? And I also need to restore the color, which I would think a dye would acheive. But the question is what type & how do I color match?

EddieF
01-15-2013, 09:56 AM
See if you can get a color matched die from an interior place. That scotch brite pad faded your dash. If you are gonna try and paint that spot, try and feather the paint out to help blend it nto the dash. What ever you do, do not remove that dash!!