PDA

View Full Version : Applying Meg's #7 glaze under Turtle Wax

Pages : [1] 2

Mikertt
01-14-2013, 05:51 AM
Hey everyone, just wondering if you think applying a glaze under Turtle Wax Color Magic would even work or make any difference at all to the final results. I know how everyone here hates Turtle Wax but, I just have so much at the house that I ought to finish it off before moving onto the Liquid Souveran that I have on my shelf. I also have Meg's #3 machine glaze at home. I'm assuming that the wax itself might remove the glaze if applied because it "gently removes ingrained dirt and grime." I've already done 1/3 of my 2012 Chevy Cruze by washing and drying it with my Master Blaster, clayed the 1/3 of the car with Mothers clay bar, used Mothers step1 Pre-Wax Cleaner, and used the Turtle Wax over it. So I'd just like to hear your opinions on whether glazing the other 2/3 of the car will make a difference or is it just a waste of time. BTW, my '91 Saturn SL2 gets the FK Hi-Temp Paste Wax topped with Pinnacle Liquid Souveran.

JAF06SE
01-14-2013, 07:27 AM
If you're set on doing it just give it some time to cure. Day or two. The wax may remove it but you have a better chance of it holding if you let it cure. You're basically putting a glaze on a glaze so there is always that chance of the second removing the first. If you have some carnuba in your arsenal them throw that on it instead so you get some Beauty out of it for a while.

forrest@mothers
01-14-2013, 08:18 AM
The Turtle Wax Color Magic is a cleaner wax. It will remove any glaze you apply.

If you want to use a glaze, follow it with a wax that does not contain any cleaners - Meguiar's M2612 or M2616, or Mothers 05550 or 05750 are examples.

Hoytman
01-14-2013, 09:31 AM
The Turtle Wax Color Magic is a cleaner wax. It will remove any glaze you apply.

If you want to use a glaze, follow it with a wax that does not contain any cleaners - Meguiar's M2612 or M2616, or Mothers 05550 or 05750 are examples.

Now there's a great and helpful Autogeek forum member.:buffing:

Obviously, working for Mothers, Forrest didn't have to mention the Meguiar's products, t he did ... in the spirit of helping someone.

That's being helpful, for sure. Good on you, Forrest!!! :dblthumb2:

Fishincricket
01-14-2013, 09:57 AM
Now there's a great and helpful Autogeek forum member.:buffing:

Obviously, working for Mothers, Forrest didn't have to mention the Meguiar's products, t he did ... in the spirit of helping someone.

That's being helpful, for sure. Good on you, Forrest!!! :dblthumb2:

Yup, one of the reasons I like this place!! :)

forrest@mothers
01-14-2013, 09:58 AM
Thanks, but I made a typo. The Meguiar's #26 Yellow Wax paste is M2611, not M2612.

Old, fat fingers and all.

There are other similar waxes without cleaners out there - those are ones I remembered.

07gtcs
01-14-2013, 01:53 PM
I wouldn't waste your time with #7, its a PIA to get off and I found didn't help that much.
*plunks down my 2 cents*

BobbyG
01-14-2013, 03:36 PM

I was thinking the same thing so some great advise and direction here!! :props:

SON1C
01-14-2013, 03:39 PM
for the love of your car, ditch anything turtlewax..
otc wax mothers pure nuba is awesome , their synthetic sealant is great as well, for an all in one I rec. mothers fx car wax or their cleaner wax which smells incredible -> a lot like black light

cleanmycorolla
01-14-2013, 04:14 PM
otc wax mothers pure nuba is awesome , their synthetic sealant is great as well, for an all in one I rec. mothers fx car wax or their cleaner wax which smells incredible -> a lot like black light

+1 Mothers wax is awesome, plus the tin size is so ideal, fit the pad right in there!:dblthumb2: There was a BOGO on the Mothers wax a few months, back, jumped on it big time, great paste wax!

Mikertt
01-15-2013, 12:04 AM

Well, I just had to use it because I have 3 bottles of it on my shelf. I have the Mothers step 3 Carnauba, in fact, I just used it on my parents' black 2003 Mercedes E320 in conjunction with Meg's NXT 2.0 sealant under it.

Before I put that Turtle Wax on my Cruze, I had used the Mothers 3step system on it. I just wanted to see how much difference it would make to go back and use some cheap OTC products. I'm the kinda guy who hates to throw stuff away if it still works. I've also got 1 bottle of the ICE synthetic wax, along with their ICE spray wax which actually isn't bad as say. My dad's '03 Tahoe gets the DuPont Cream Wax treatment since he hates it when I do a multi-step thing on his ride because it takes too long. My '91 Saturn gets Pinnacle Liquid Souveran.

Mikertt
01-15-2013, 12:08 AM
One more question for you guys. Would using #3 or #7 glaze under Meg's NXT 2.0 still work since it has kaolin clay in the ingredients. Also wondered if there would be any bonding issues since it is from the same company and NXT is M21 in the Glaze line along with 3 & 7. I'm just looking for one bright as hell shine on my parents' black Mercedes. Not sure if NXT will strip off the glaze or not. The Mercedes had been cleaned with Mothers step 1, sealed with NXT 2.0 and then topped with Mothers step 3 pure Carnauba. I just like to mix and match product lines from different companies because I have way too much stuff at home.

AutowerxDetailing
01-15-2013, 12:35 AM
NXT has a slight cleaning/filling ability due to the Calcined Kaolin Clay it contains. Because of this I think you could easily skip the #7 glaze and just use the NXT tech wax and get the exact same look.

Mikertt
01-15-2013, 01:49 AM
NXT has a slight cleaning/filling ability due to the Calcined Kaolin Clay it contains. Because of this I think you could easily skip the #7 glaze and just use the NXT tech wax and get the exact same look.

Do you know of any sealants that can be used over #3 or #7? I plan to seal over it and then top it with a pure Nuba. I've got Finish Kare Hi-Temp sealant on the shelf and Klasse sealant which didn't work out going over #7 because it caused random cloudiness over the finish.

AutowerxDetailing
01-15-2013, 02:04 AM
Do you know of any sealants that can be used over #3 or #7? I plan to seal over it and then top it with a pure Nuba. I've got Finish Kare Hi-Temp sealant on the shelf and Klasse sealant which didn't work out going over #7 because it caused random cloudiness over the finish.

Here is my opinion. If you want to use a glaze like Meg's #3 or #7 you should top it with a pure carnauba wax. When I say "pure" I just mean a wax with no cleaning/polishing ability. This will give you maximum gloss and won't clean or strip away the glaze as the wax is being applied.

The purpose of a sealant (vs a wax), in my opinion, is to achieve greater durability or longevity. This is sometimes at the expense of depth/gloss that can be achieved with a quality 'nauba. Because of this I wouldn't recommend a sealant over a glaze simply because the durability will be compromised sitting on top of a glaze.

It could almost be a math equation or something.

wax alone = warmth & depth & gloss & moderate durability.
glaze + wax = warmth & depth & ultimate gloss & low durability.
glaze + sealant = high gloss & questionable durability
sealant alone = high gloss & high durability

Hope this makes sense. I'm fading fast... it's past my bedtime.