PDA

View Full Version : 4" or 5" backing plate.

Big Boi
01-13-2013, 06:30 PM
I have a Griots DA polisher. And want to nab some smaller pads. Do I have to change the counter weight? If so, where do I get it? Which backing plate would you recommend.?

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using AG Online

BobbyG
01-13-2013, 06:35 PM
I'm assuming you're talking about the standard DA and not the 3" model so use a 5" backing plate with 5 1/2" pads

Don't worry about the counterweight...

cartman57
01-13-2013, 06:40 PM
'You only need to switch if you use the wet sanding disk'
Searched the forum and this is the consensus.
I would tend to think it would be the same for the GG brand but is stated for the PC 7424.

Big Boi
01-13-2013, 07:04 PM
Sorry for the confusion. I'm looking to run a smaller pad due to suggestions here on AGO. Would I have to replace the counter weight woth a 5.5 pad?

Rsurfer
01-13-2013, 07:33 PM
Sorry for the confusion. I'm looking to run a smaller pad due to suggestions here on AGO. Would I have to replace the counter weight woth a 5.5 pad?

Bobby G answered you, no.

Big Boi
02-02-2013, 09:55 AM
Wow. Sorry for the late reply guys. For some reason I want receiving notifications of replies to this thread. Yes, Bobby G answered my question. Thx guys!

Fishincricket
02-02-2013, 11:56 AM
**disclaimer**
Newb opinion
**disclaimer**

I just got the 3.5 (w 4in pads) and 5 inch (w/5.5 pads) backing plates.. I was gonna go with a 3 inch backing plate (actually 2 7/8 inches) with three inch pads but Nick, the expert, convinced me otherwise.. And frankly I'm glad that he did! After seeing the 3.5 w 4 inch pads in action, I couldn't imagine having an even smaller pad/ plate on that size of machine. Mikes description was that a 3 inch pad on a full sized GG was "tippy".. Seems to me like he was being generous there.

Granted, I have only done one test panel with the 4inch pads, but they seemed to work great and have excellent rotation and results.