PDA

View Full Version : Cadillac Black - constant cob webs

Humps
01-13-2013, 04:00 PM
Hello gentlemen. I have a MY12 Cadillac CTSV in black and it seems that no matter what I do I have webs in the sun. I just finished the following:

LC white CCS - Meg's ultimate polish
2 coats blacklight, V7, pinnacle souveran

1 week and one 2 bucket wash later and it looks really bad in the sun. Do I have to live with this or should I be doing something differently? Is this known as a very soft paint? Should I be using something more aggressive? Thank you.

DaveT435
01-13-2013, 04:21 PM
Have you considered a coating. I just ordered Some CQuartz to try for a similar problem on an Acura.

Humps
01-13-2013, 04:28 PM
Have you considered a coating. I just ordered Some CQuartz to try for a similar problem on an Acura.

I haven't. I'm thinking that the Meg's UP may not have cleared all the defects prior to the subsequent steps. That or somehow I'm inducing the webs when removing the products? I use good quality MF, like chinchillas, and fold them properly using light pressure. Does a coating add a swirl or web resistant layer?

highroller
01-13-2013, 04:33 PM
Well consider correction with orange pad with 205. Do test spot n check results in sunlight. If you don't see cobweb u have corrected it and proceed to lsp. If not then I 105n205 combo. N then lsp. go for a synthetic LSP like gtechniq or klasse deep gloss, 2 coats at least.
Switch to waterless wash if u don't drive too much in muddy terrains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveT435
01-13-2013, 04:36 PM
Do you have a lot of them?? If that's the case I would agree that maybe they weren't all removed in the beginning. If it's just an individual fine scratch here and there then I would say it's in your wash process. Any time you touch the surface with anything you run the risk of scratches or marring. Several of the coating do advertise to increase scratch resistance.

cartman57
01-13-2013, 05:07 PM
this is before using Menzerna 2500 with a 3" CG gray pad

.......and after.

Are these similar cobweb swirls you're talking about

Humps
01-13-2013, 05:14 PM
I have some poor iPad pics but I think you get the idea. Not terrible but frustrating when you put a lot of time in.

Humps
01-13-2013, 05:15 PM

cartman57
01-13-2013, 05:21 PM
I have some poor iPad pics but I think you get the idea. Not terrible but frustrating when you put a lot of time in.

It's very frustrating to say the least.
Section an area off, do 5 passess with the least aggressive product pad combo

Here's a well written article, http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/50162-how-do-test-spot.html

Humps
01-13-2013, 06:28 PM
It was bothering me so I hit a test spot with XMT 4 on a soft green LC CCS followed by BL, V7, and Souveran and its better but not perfect. I had a black Challenger previous to the V and I didn't have these issues. I guess I need to learn to accept a less than perfect finish. This one is definitely high maintenance.

DaveT435
01-13-2013, 07:52 PM
You might try Optimum Finish Polish. It's supposed to be one of the best on the paints that are tough to get a perfect finish.

I assume you just can't that you haven't gotten all the scratches out until you pull it out in the sun??

DCStyle
01-13-2013, 08:04 PM
You are dealing with a very hard clear coat so your process is too weak for the correction. It would be a wise investment to pick up Megs MF kit in 5 inch, then work your way down to foam finishing. Also make sure you do a solvent wipe down after every correction pass. Do not use mineral spirits since it contains oils which defeats the whole purpose of the wipe down.

swanicyouth
01-13-2013, 08:14 PM
You are likely not removing the defects to begin with. Been in your exact situation. You need a more aggressive combo and a light source that enables you to see the defects while you are working, if not, you are headed for more frustration.

I would get:

1. A light source that allows you to see the defects in your work area. This is as important as the pads and polishes you use.

2. A more aggressive pad / polish compound. There are many good ones out there.

3. Practice removing the defects on your test spot. Once you can do it there, repeat process on rest of vehicle. Since your dealing with black, follow up with a less aggressive combo to bring out the gloss.

Good luck!

Flatlander
01-13-2013, 08:21 PM
You are likely not removing the defects to begin with. Been in your exact situation. You need a more aggressive combo and a light source that enables you to see the defects while you are working, if not, you are headed for more frustration.

I would get:

1. A light source that allows you to see the defects in your work area. This is as important as the pads and polishes you use.

2. A more aggressive pad / polish compound. There are many good ones out there.

3. Practice removing the defects on your test spot. Once you can do it there, repeat process on rest of vehicle. Since your dealing with black, follow up with a less aggressive combo to bring out the gloss.

Good luck!

:iagree: I totally agree! I think you are not correcting the swirls or are washing it with a Scotch-brite! ;) I thought my black car looked great until I got a 500w halogen at Lowe's. Amazing what was hiding in plain sight.