PDA

View Full Version : Need input on my first polisher

g35_coupe
01-13-2013, 09:32 AM
Currently have a 05 Infiniti G35 and looking at either the WG duo Porter Cable kit or the M205/M105 PC combo kit. I've heard Nissan paint is relatively soft and I'm just detailing our personal vehicles, so it's not for business purposes. The car has <70k miles and seen automatic car washes a handful of times and garaged overnight but it has its fair share of swirls and scratches being a DD car. Also thought about using some Collinite 845 since I don't have as much time nowadays for full detailing. Any suggestions?

Big Boi
01-13-2013, 09:38 AM
I used my Griots Garage polisher for the first time yesterday. I picked it over the PC because of the handle. Came in very handy with the 5hr correction I did yesterday. Love the power, but its kinda loud.

Havent tried the M105/M205 combo yet. But I plan on busting it out in a week or so. Cant wait to see what it does for my sis neglected accord

Also, this vid helped me decide as well.
Griot's Polisher - Unboxing and Comparison to PC 7424 (non-XP) - YouTube (http://youtu.be/ms55eZgWpaw)

swanicyouth
01-13-2013, 12:33 PM
If your new to polishing, I would stay away from 105 / 205. I think you will have an easier time time the Wolfgang Twins, unless your finish is trashed.

However, my Nissan is a 2001 Pathfinder. I found this under the hood

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/14/u2uveha4.jpg

The paint on it is pretty darn hard. What worked for me was WG TSR with a yellow LC CCS pad on the deeper defects. TSR finishes almost LSP ready, so after that your fine.

People here are probably going to tell you to get microfiber pads and M105, but the combo I'm suggesting is pretty powerful and easy to work with - with almost no dusting or learning curve.

If your bent on using Meg's polishes, I would get Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish. They are both pretty good and a bit easier to work with.

However, you may want to see if your Infinity has the "self healing clearcoat" or not. There have been some people here with a lot of experience that have had a difficult time working with that paint. Nissan used it for a certain period of time but I don't know what that was.

MTLean
01-13-2013, 12:59 PM
I am liking your choices. I did a G35 and paint was very hard. Make sure you have the right pads for the job your trying to achieve (tangerine hydrotech might be a good choice). I would also recommend a polish in between 105 and 205 if you want to go least agressive on your test spot (i like m80).

The main problems i had was bad technique (2nd car i did) and a PC instead of the Flex 3401 :)

Here's a quick snap

good luck with your project.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

ShawnCT450R
01-13-2013, 01:11 PM
I chose the Gritot's DA (3rd Gen) over the PC based on reviews and the Griot's lifetime warranty. Used mine yesterday for the first time as well. Love it

umi000
01-13-2013, 05:53 PM
As mentioned above, a good set of polishes to start off with would be Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish. They're based on M105/M205, but are a lot easier to use - there's a reason Megs sells them in their consumer line.

RhetoricMixes
01-13-2013, 05:58 PM
Surprised no one has mentioned optimum. I can recommend their hyper polish as its my go to polish for being a light compound, medium and finish polish. Pick your pad and your good to go. I don't have much experience with their hyper compound unfortunately but have read great things about it.

umi000
01-13-2013, 06:04 PM
Surprised no one has mentioned optimum. I can recommend their hyper polish as its my go to polish for being a light compound, medium and finish polish. Pick your pad and your good to go. I don't have much experience with their hyper compound unfortunately but have read great things about it.

I haven't used their hyper compound and polish, just the regular ones. Optimum Polish II is good - somewhat more cut than M205 - but Optimum Compound II didn't finish down as well as Ultimate Compound, at least on the car I used it on.

spiralout462
01-13-2013, 06:16 PM
Currently have a 05 Infiniti G35 and looking at either the WG duo Porter Cable kit or the M205/M105 PC combo kit. I've heard Nissan paint is relatively soft and I'm just detailing our personal vehicles, so it's not for business purposes. The car has <70k miles and seen automatic car washes a handful of times and garaged overnight but it has its fair share of swirls and scratches being a DD car. Also thought about using some Collinite 845 since I don't have as much time nowadays for full detailing. Any suggestions?

I've had my PC7424xp for about 6 weeks now and LOVE it! I also enjoy Wolfgang polishes. I'm not sure what comes in the kits you're looking at but I ended up making my own in order to get 5.5" pads. They are easier to spin than the 6.5". Be careful making general assumptions on paint hardness. Every car is different. Just my 2 cents.

Big Boi
01-13-2013, 06:23 PM
Be careful making general assumptions on paint hardness. Every car is different. Just my 2 cents.

How can you tell the difference?

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using AG Online

g35_coupe
01-13-2013, 07:17 PM
It looks like I'm going to go with the Wolfgang 3rd gen GG polisher kit after all. The sale is good enough I can pick up 5 LCCP pads for free, the DP Poli-seal and Collinite 845 combo and a free sample of Pinnacle Liquid Souveran wax, a 3.5" BP (I have some 4" cyclo pads) for just over $200. Even though I never really considered the GG unit, I read a pretty informative PM and some other posts and the lifetime warranty and better operating smoothness is what sold me (I'm sure the free pads helped too). I'm sure it's still a good learning polisher and will get smaller 5.5 pads in the future if necessary.

RhetoricMixes
01-13-2013, 07:28 PM

You can generally tell by using the least aggressive combo you have and then inspect your work afterwards. If you get rid of the defects then that combo does the job. Otherwise you'll have to up the aggressiveness.

In other words if the less aggressive combo works the paint will usually but not always be "soft" and won't take much to remove defects. If it takes a more aggressive combo to remove defects then the paint would be considered "hard". Hope that helps.

spiralout462
01-14-2013, 08:41 AM

For example a black finishing pad and Wolfgang Finishing Glaze will remove swirls from my Toyota truck but wont touch swirls on my wifes Camry. A white pad and more aggessive polish works well on her car but might leave marring and haze on my truck. A test spot is a good way to get a feel for specific paint.

sulla
01-14-2013, 09:12 AM

Since you detail your own cars and not for a job Griots it's...Many pros even recommended it more than the flex..said with mf pads it has more bite...