PDA

View Full Version : squeeky clean glass?

Chito
01-13-2013, 04:17 AM
I have been cleaning and maintaining my cars for 30 yrs now. i have reschooled myself on the proper washing techniques. i have even bought a rotary and lots of different LC pads together with lots of AG products. Whenever i wash, I do the bottom parts and wheels first, then i use a foam gun as a pre-soak, then wash the car using the 2 bucket method, then thoroughly rinse with a hose. I then dry the top parts first (hood, roof, and trunk). Then i use a blower to dry thr grills, wheels, side mirrors, door jambs, etc. Then go over them again with a mf towel. finally i spray all the glass with megs glass cleaner and wipe with a dedicated mf glass towel. I have been doing this for several years now since i discovered AG. so i think i have this cleaning procedure right.

however, i have noticed that when it rains my wipers judder

Sent from my GT-I9300 using AG Online

Chito
01-13-2013, 04:26 AM
sorry, accidentally pressed the send button.

To continue:
I have the same experience with all my cars. I know the glass is clean because i dont see any streaks when facing the sun or any light. I have a month old car (which of course I prepped and applied my collection of AG stuff) wherein i experience the same. I replace my wipers annually and use only quality wipers. I can say my glass is squeeky clean because it squeeks when i rub my finger on it as compared to slick when i touch the paint.

Your insights will be greatly appreciated

Setec Astronomy
01-13-2013, 05:59 AM
Try some sealant on your glass. KAIO works well, or if you're sure it's clean some SG, or any sealant really. Or one of the dedicated windshield products, Rain-X, Aquapel, or Diamondite or one of the others that AG sells. There are also new glass products from Optimum coming out shortly.

As an aside, I'd be willing to bet you are using a carnauba as your LSP, correct?

rwright
01-13-2013, 07:37 AM
Clean with Duragloss Rain Repel, top off with Duragloss Aquawax monthly. Coatings mentioned above are great alternatives that require more work initially but less regularly, but the end result is well worth it.

davidc
01-13-2013, 09:15 AM
Clean with Duragloss Rain Repel, top off with Duragloss Aquawax monthly. Coatings mentioned above are great alternatives that require more work initially but less regularly, but the end result is well worth it.

That's the ticket. You may want to try DG's Nu-Glass also as it removes all contaminates inside and out with no streaks. I usually use the Nu-Glass initially then the Rain Repel then Aquawax.

Dave

primo spaghetti
01-13-2013, 09:37 AM
also dont forget to clean your wiper blades themselves...

there are special wipes available just for the rubber blade...or just use your shampoo on an old MF.

youll be surprised just how dirty they are...that will stop your chatter until you have time to seal the glass.

Chito
01-13-2013, 11:03 AM
i am intrigued by setec astronomys comment. yes, i use carnauba wax. Is there a connection? I have never used sealant on the windsheild glass, will this help? I have opti-seal, 4 star upp, and blackfire paint protection.

jhodges
01-13-2013, 11:05 AM
I saw a Youtube video on how to super clean your windshield. The guy uses Invisible Glass and RainX, but I'm guessing selection of the above mentioned products/combinations would work equally well

HOW TO: Super Clean Your Windshield - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D05vX-G9iV4)

I did the process suggested in the video and then installed new wiper blades. That was 4 weeks and maybe 5 rain showers ago; still no wiper shudder/chatter yet.

slimnib
01-13-2013, 12:09 PM
I saw a Youtube video on how to super clean your windshield. The guy uses Invisible Glass and RainX, but I'm guessing selection of the above mentioned products/combinations would work equally well

HOW TO: Super Clean Your Windshield - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D05vX-G9iV4)

I did the process suggested in the video and then installed new wiper blades. That was 4 weeks and maybe 5 rain showers ago; still no wiper shudder/chatter yet.

I am not sure but someone on this forum has said not to use steel wool on windows. I think it was Mike, but I am not sure,

Any comments Mike?

swanicyouth
01-13-2013, 12:21 PM
I find any carnuba wax on the windshield makes my wipers judder like crazy. I really like the Pinnacle Glass Sealant and their cleaner with water repellent. Both are first class products.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/14/ne8agyqe.jpg

This stuff is good to clean your wiper blades with also

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/14/y6e5aqah.jpg

Setec Astronomy
01-13-2013, 01:51 PM
i am intrigued by setec astronomys comment. yes, i use carnauba wax. Is there a connection? I have never used sealant on the windsheild glass, will this help? I have opti-seal, 4 star upp, and blackfire paint protection.

I find any carnuba wax on the windshield makes my wipers judder like crazy.

I also find carnauba to not play well with wipers. I also find that whatever LSP you use tend to migrate onto the windshield during the first wash or rain after you apply, even if you didn't apply it there.

Chito
01-13-2013, 07:04 PM
setec, you seem to have a logical explanation. So if my lsp has migrated to the windsheild, how do I get it off? Megs, stoner, and adams glass cleaners don't seem to work well enough.

Setec Astronomy
01-13-2013, 07:32 PM
setec, you seem to have a logical explanation. So if my lsp has migrated to the windsheild, how do I get it off? Megs, stoner, and adams glass cleaners don't seem to work well enough.

That DG glass polish should work.

Chito
06-22-2013, 07:58 AM
I found a solution! OPC @ 3:1 dilution. of course followed by a glass cleaner. The wiper now moves smoothly.