PDA

View Full Version : Hyundai solid white paint.... is this a hard paint ?

DaC
01-12-2013, 06:25 PM
I'm working on a Hyundai Veracruz this weekend and it got me pretty confused.....
Being used to work on very soft paints here in Brazil I first tried:

I'm using a Dewalt 849x with a dynabrade head set to Dual Action (so it's basically working as DA with 1200 watts motor to push it.... and pretty heavy btw)

6.5" Black pad + PO85RD.... lot's of swirls left....
6.5" Black Pad + M205.... less swirls but still many...
5.5" LP Tangerine pad + M205... less swirls but still many...
5.5" LP Tangerine pad + M86... still some swirls left
5.5" LP Tangerine pad + M105... almost perfect, but still some RIDs around... swirls are mostly gone...

I decided not to push to a Cyan or MF Pad in order to keep finish in check to avoid a 2nd polishing step. (it's a white paint after all)

The thing is... I've never needed to go this far to correct some swirls on a paint and I was told here that the Hyundai paint is a soft type paint... the car is almost new, so it's not a repaint job.... 100% original paint....

What do you guys think about it ?

Jsmooth
01-12-2013, 07:30 PM
I'm working on a Hyundai Veracruz this weekend and it got me pretty confused.....
Being used to work on very soft paints here in Brazil I first tried:

I'm using a Dewalt 849x with a dynabrade head set to Dual Action (so it's basically working as DA with 1200 watts motor to push it.... and pretty heavy btw)

6.5" Black pad + PO85RD.... lot's of swirls left....
6.5" Black Pad + M205.... less swirls but still many...
5.5" LP Tangerine pad + M205... less swirls but still many...
5.5" LP Tangerine pad + M86... still some swirls left
5.5" LP Tangerine pad + M105... almost perfect, but still some RIDs around... swirls are mostly gone...

I decided not to push to a Cyan or MF Pad in order to keep finish in check to avoid a 2nd polishing step. (it's a white paint after all)

The thing is... I've never needed to go this far to correct some swirls on a paint and I was told here that the Hyundai paint is a soft type paint... the car is almost new, so it's not a repaint job.... 100% original paint....

What do you guys think about it ?

New Hyundai have super hard paint check it out
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/58424-orinda-auto-detail-etched-water-spot-removal.html

to get water spots off and swirls out I was heavy cutting the paint

EddieF
01-12-2013, 07:42 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/58424-orinda-auto-detail-etched-water-spot-removal.html

Your results were impressive! But man that was a lot of work you had to do to achieve it.

Jsmooth
01-12-2013, 07:48 PM
Your results were impressive! But man that was a lot of work you had to do to achieve it.
Yeah that sucked lol. Hard hard paint

DaC
01-12-2013, 07:49 PM

Wow! Impressive! Nice job!

I wasn't aware of this new hard paint from Hyundai... I'm also pretty surprised to see it came to Brazil.... Maybe we import this car from Mexico and it might be the same you guys get up there, but I don't know.... just a guess.

Thank you very much for the link.... I guess I'll need to learn some new tricks very soon.

DaC
01-13-2013, 05:36 AM
Anyone else had experience with these new hyundai paints ?

Fishincricket
01-13-2013, 12:12 PM
Forgive the dumb question, but if the paint is super hard then why does it get defects so easy? Or does it?

swanicyouth
01-13-2013, 12:17 PM
Forgive the dumb question, but if the paint is super hard then why does it get defects so easy? Or does it?

Hard paint tends to resist swirls more, but the front of the vehicle will tend to "chip" or get road rash easier. Just look at the front of any recent dark color BMW on a car with 75k miles or more. Road rash everywhere. Both paints have their advantages / disadvantages.

I clear bra'd mine. Still looks good after 36k miles

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/14/e3aqeven.jpg

Detail-Impressions
01-13-2013, 04:56 PM
The color of White paint is in general hard, as most manufactures use single stage because white is so hard.

Rsurfer
01-13-2013, 05:07 PM
The color of White paint is in general hard, as most manufactures use single stage because white is so hard.
So is the Hyundai single stage paint?

DaC
01-13-2013, 05:39 PM
So is the Hyundai single stage paint?

Clearcoat here on this white veracruz

DaC
01-13-2013, 06:16 PM
BTW.... the tangerine pad + m105 combo wasn't quite doing the job.... and working with the m105 is just a pain.....
So I went a bit stronger....
Cyan Pad + M105 / D300 (primed KBM method the pad with D300 and used 66% M105 to 33% D300 while adding more product) and this combo really did wonders.... the swirls were killed and working time was great with very little dust.....
But it's important to remember I was using a Dewalt 849x rotary buffer with a Dynabrade dual action head attached.
So it basically was a DA with 1200w and 18mm offset... maybe my G110v2 wouldn't had worked very well even with the last combo... but anyway, I wasn't felling like testing it...

Jsmooth
01-13-2013, 06:32 PM

They call scratch resistant.... But it scratched easy and is actually scratch removal resistant. Glad u got it figured out

Jsmooth
01-13-2013, 06:32 PM

Ummmm never heard this before.....