PDA

View Full Version : Paint beading after polishing and using mineral spirit to strip it ? Is this normal ?

Pages : [1] 2

DaC
01-12-2013, 05:54 PM
Well, I'm trying to use Mineral spirit to strip the paint before opticoat, but the problem is..... the paint still beads after polishing and using mineral spirit....
Does this means my paint is not free from oils ? And if so this might effect opticoat ? What would you recommend me to do ?

ski2
01-12-2013, 06:01 PM
Well, I'm trying to use Mineral spirit to strip the paint before opticoat, but the problem is..... the paint still beads after polishing and using mineral spirit....
Does this means my paint is not free from oils ? And if so this might effect opticoat ? What would you recommend me to do ?

I have read on the Optimum Forum that Mineral Spirits leaves behind oils (if I remember correctly) and cannot be used to prep for OptiCoat unless you wash the car with ONR after the MS.

DaC
01-12-2013, 06:14 PM
I have read on the Optimum Forum that Mineral Spirits leaves behind oils (if I remember correctly) and cannot be used to prep for OptiCoat unless you wash the car with ONR after the MS.

Strange... I've saw the opposite recommendation around here at AGO.... Can you pm the link to this topic over optimum forum ?

ski2
01-12-2013, 09:47 PM
Can't seem to find the link. I could be wrong, but it rings a bell.

Jsmooth
01-12-2013, 10:02 PM
Use 15% IPA IMO

DaveT435
01-12-2013, 10:06 PM
If you use Optimum polishes they say to just wipe off with a damp towel...they are made to work together. I think I would still do a IPA wipedown.

mwoolfso
01-12-2013, 10:33 PM

What steps did you perform prior to using Mineral Spirits? Spirits are used to remove oil-based <anything> on a painted surface. It has no oils in it to speak of.

Audios S6
01-12-2013, 11:03 PM
What steps did you perform prior to using Mineral Spirits? Spirits are used to remove oil-based <anything> on a painted surface. It has no oils in it to speak of.

I'm not a chemist, but i know mineral spirits are petroleum based, all the solvent ingredients are hydrocarbons and I would expect that they would repel/bead water unless they are completely removed or flashed off. if the OP is using lower grade mineral spirits then perhaps it's leaving some residue.

SON1C
01-12-2013, 11:47 PM
The surface is beading because its extremely smooth thus the surface tension is very high which is what causes beads, my paint will bead and sheet without wax, however using a quality lsp takes it to an entirely different level, so yes if your surface is smooth / polished / decontaminated this should be expected to a degree

Wheelzntoys
01-13-2013, 12:23 AM
Quote: From TOGWT:
Mineral Spirit
(Mineral Oil) is a petrochemical based product, a clear, colourless, oily liquid that is a by-product of the distillation of petroleum that can be used to clean heavier oil stains by diluting and liquefying the other oils, rendering the oils more accessible to detergents. It has a high refractive index and is sometimes used in car care products. Likewise, it can be employed to remove adhesive residue left by adhesive tape. It can be used as a cleaner and solvent but it can leave a residue, which is undesirable for paint cleaning applications. Other uses, as a prevention to stop chopping boards cracking and , as a rust prevention for steel A clear fluid , Flash point 107.0F (41.0C) closed cup
End of quote

Hotrodders also don't recommend MS for paint prep (painting vehicles) due to residue.

In general, I use Gtechniq Panel Wipe or DuPont wax and grease remover to prepare for coatings.

For polish cleaning and check your work, IPA is great.

DaC
01-13-2013, 05:33 AM
Thanks to all for the replies. I've always used 15% ipa, but I also got beading after it and I was wondering it wasn't doing the job quite well...

I hadn't washed after polishing. Just removed residue with one towel and inspected with other doing the IPA. maybe I'll start doing a onr wash with apc before doing an IPA

BobbyG
01-13-2013, 07:07 AM
Mineral Spirits does a nice job cleaning up the finish after compounding and polishing. It's a petroleum based product therefore additional cleaning steps might be needed but this depends on what those next steps are.

Optimum Opti-Coat requires an IPA solution cleaning step prior to it's application...

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/autogeek/opti-coat-3.jpg

Polish paint to remove any defects.
Clean surface with 15% IPA solution to remove all polishing oils, waxes, and silicone's.
Prime the applicator by making an X pattern across the pad. Only a few drops will be needed for each subsequent panel.
Wipe Opti-Coat onto a single panel at a time in a thin layer using two directions, front to back, and then side to side.
Within 5 minutes, inspect the panel with adequate lighting looking for any thick areas that have not flashed away to clear.
Use foam applicator or paint safe microfiber to even out any areas where you see streaks. This step is key, as any spots not leveled will have to be polished if allowed to cure. Panels will feel a bit tacky and will be self-leveling during cure time, so avoid any unnecessary touching, wiping, or contact to produce the best results.
Repeat steps 1-6 for each panel where application is desired. Not recommended for glass.

Application Video

Opti-Coat Application Methods - YouTube

DaC
01-13-2013, 07:23 AM
Mineral Spirits does a nice job cleaning up the finish after compounding and polishing. It's a petroleum based product therefore additional cleaning steps might be needed but this depends on what those next steps are.

Optimum Opti-Coat requires an IPA solution cleaning step prior to it's application...

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/autogeek/opti-coat-3.jpg

Polish paint to remove any defects.
Clean surface with 15% IPA solution to remove all polishing oils, waxes, and silicone's.
Prime the applicator by making an X pattern across the pad. Only a few drops will be needed for each subsequent panel.
Wipe Opti-Coat onto a single panel at a time in a thin layer using two directions, front to back, and then side to side.
Within 5 minutes, inspect the panel with adequate lighting looking for any thick areas that have not flashed away to clear.
Use foam applicator or paint safe microfiber to even out any areas where you see streaks. This step is key, as any spots not leveled will have to be polished if allowed to cure. Panels will feel a bit tacky and will be self-leveling during cure time, so avoid any unnecessary touching, wiping, or contact to produce the best results.
Repeat steps 1-6 for each panel where application is desired. Not recommended for glass.

Application Video

Opti-Coat Application Methods - YouTube

Bob, I know you use something else to strip the paint, but I don't have access to something similar to it in brazil. What would you recommend me to strip the paint after polishing? I always use ipa, but I feel something is being left....

mwoolfso
01-13-2013, 07:46 AM
Just to be clear.... mineral spirits and mineral oil are two different products. For example, mineral oil is generally edible, spirits are not.

DaC
01-13-2013, 08:16 AM
So mineral spirit or ipa 15% with onr + apc wash would be a safe bet to opticoat ?