PDA

View Full Version : Boat Detailing with car products?

TjMonsen5
05-02-2007, 09:54 AM
I have a customer who i detailed his BMW 325 for. Now he wants me to detail his boat. Its a white BayLiner about 18 foot with a blue sidewall. The blue is all oxidized and so is the white bottom. I have Orange pads, white pads, and grey and blue. All i have for polish is XMT3 and XMT2, Klasse AIO and SG, and Pinnacle Liquid Souveran. He says he has boat polish and wax, but im not sure if it will actually remove his oxidation. Im guessing its a OTC type of stuff that is oily and makes it look good for a week.
So, can i use my pads and products or do i need to order something else?
Oh BTW i use a PC.

TjMonsen5
05-02-2007, 06:45 PM
nobody?

supercharged
05-02-2007, 11:19 PM
Go ahead and try XMT 3 with orange pad. Good luck. Post some pics when done.

MoparAddict
05-02-2007, 11:31 PM
I know the new XMT 360 works well for gel coats (if you want to order it). I did a boat last weekend with it. Came out very nice.

richy
05-03-2007, 12:53 AM
Check the 303 site..they have some boat specific product uses:
303 Products - World's Leading Automotive Care Products (http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=home)

Al-53
05-03-2007, 07:12 AM
If the boat is heavily oxidized you best friend will be a rotary and wool pad....using a foam system you will use alot of pads....doing the job right...I found using Megs #1 and DACP and Meg's #66 to work great on boats...works fast and and cleans the gelcoat like new...but thats with a wool rotary combo...oxidation on fiberglass acts like a sponge..so with product on a pad it gets absorbed fast by the oxidation...and gums the pad...

With a wool setup you can cut and spur the pad to clean it..and you still may use a couple wool pads..

Oxidized boats are not fun..a boat that has been cared for is fun to do...

Al

Moxie
05-03-2007, 11:31 AM
I know you can use Klasse and SG but I have never used XMT. 3M makes an Imperial Compound with Finishing material that will remove the oxidation and be LSP ready. Wool does work well but so will the foam pads and since it is a smaller boat you may just need to clean your pad after completing one side. Collinite is the best LSP IMO for boats and is often sold at marine stores if you can wait for shipping from AG. Oh by the way, profesionals get $10 - $20 per foot in my area to detail a boat depending on the condition

Nica
05-03-2007, 11:39 AM
Unfortunetly I can't provide any feed back on this topic but I just wanted to say please take pictures and I'm looking forward to the write up.