PDA

View Full Version : Sealants

Pages : [1] 2

convertibleuser
01-09-2013, 04:22 PM
Just bought a new 2012 Fiat, 500C dark green convertable. (did buy from autokeek a fabric sealant for the convertable 303. )

Would like to know the difference between a few car sealants now for the paint. (since the car is new, don't want a wax cleaner)
What is the difference between Klasse High GLoss Sealant, VS Wolf Deep Gloss paint sealant VS Meguiars Lultimate Liquid wax? (Wolfs is 2X as expensive? why?)
Thanks for any insight

Fishincricket
01-09-2013, 04:43 PM
:popcorn:

CM8 6MT
01-09-2013, 05:05 PM
Just bought a new 2012 Fiat, 500C dark green convertable. (did buy from autokeek a fabric sealant for the convertable 303. )

Would like to know the difference between a few car sealants now for the paint. (since the car is new, don't want a wax cleaner)
What is the difference between Klasse High GLoss Sealant, VS Wolf Deep Gloss paint sealant VS Meguiars Lultimate Liquid wax? (Wolfs is 2X as expensive? why?)
Thanks for any insight

Wolfgang is a brand name, they make great quality products. IMO some of their products are way overpriced. I cant comment too much on Klasse, I've never used it.

However, Im not a big fan of Megs Ultimate Liquid "wax". Megs makes better alternatives. The top 3 best sealants IMO are:

1. Meguiar's M21
2. Wolfgang DGPS 3.0
3. Menzerna Power Lock

The best one for YOU depends on your paint color. The difference? Some will look better than others on certain colors and paint types. Durability will also vary between brands and how often you maintain.

A-train
01-09-2013, 05:08 PM
If the car is prepped properly looks will probably be close between all three. I mean you wouldn't be able to look at 3 panels with three different sealants and pick them out. So then it comes down to durability, price, ease of application and removal. The only one of the three I have tried is WG. It is slick, looks great and has great durability with two coats and proper maintenance washes. So just read reviews, and go with your gut.
This is why so many people on here have such a large collection of waxes and sealants, it's just fun to try new stuff and finding something that in your on opinion tops the last one you tried!
Good luck in your decision!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Mike Moore
01-09-2013, 05:18 PM
^ AGREED "durability, price, ease of application and removal"

But there is a difference in the longevity, "look" and "feel".

Some products are designed and look and feel better on dark.

Do you want warmth and depth or bright and shiny?

I'd suggest starting out with the Blackfire "Wet Ice Over Fire".

07gtcs
01-09-2013, 05:22 PM
I second Blackfire. If your looking for ease of use....use Crystal Seal

CM8 6MT
01-09-2013, 06:04 PM
This is why so many people on here have such a large collection of waxes and sealants, it's just fun to try new stuff and finding something that in your on opinion tops the last one you tried!

Agree

primo spaghetti
01-09-2013, 07:39 PM
Klasse SG is acrylic..it will give a different look than the WGDGPS (more of a candied look), but it is nice.

Both are excellent products...the WG is easier to use IMO fora beginner, but KSG is fine as long as you put it on thin....if using the KSG, id first use the KAIO...they work great together, and youll be surprised how dirty your paint is...but the KAIO will chemically clean the paint and not have much defect removal...

with either product, id use a paint cleaner first for maximum success and results.

TH3M B0N3Z
01-09-2013, 07:49 PM
From personal experience having used 3M Performance Finish and Menzerna Power Lock, the Power Lock is allowed to haze and dry, whereas the 3M is a wipe on, wipe off, no hazing sealant. While the 3M beads water like crazy, it was hard to apply unless the paint was just clayed the same day and you have to work it in small sections and wipe it right off. If it dries, it's a pain to buff off and can streak.

The Menzerna PL feels similar in application unless you're using a machine like a Porter Cable 7424XP, which is what I use to apply the PL. You get a much thinner and uniform layer of sealant on the paint. I've let the PL dry as long as 30 minutes and it was so easy to buff off by hand... literally one swipe with a microfiber towel would take the PL clean off and it didn't leave any streaks. I still wipe multiple times to make sure all the residue is removed, though.

I much prefer the Menzerna PL. I was so impressed the first time I used it, I immediately bought 2 more bottles, lol. Not a bad choice, in my opinion.

CM8 6MT
01-09-2013, 08:43 PM
From personal experience having used 3M Performance Finish and Menzerna Power Lock, the Power Lock is allowed to haze and dry, whereas the 3M is a wipe on, wipe off, no hazing sealant. While the 3M beads water like crazy, it was hard to apply unless the paint was just clayed the same day and you have to work it in small sections and wipe it right off. If it dries, it's a pain to buff off and can streak.

The Menzerna PL feels similar in application unless you're using a machine like a Porter Cable 7424XP, which is what I use to apply the PL. You get a much thinner and uniform layer of sealant on the paint. I've let the PL dry as long as 30 minutes and it was so easy to buff off by hand... literally one swipe with a microfiber towel would take the PL clean off and it didn't leave any streaks. I still wipe multiple times to make sure all the residue is removed, though.

I much prefer the Menzerna PL. I was so impressed the first time I used it, I immediately bought 2 more bottles, lol. Not a bad choice, in my opinion.

Any quality sealant will wipe off easy if applied correctly. Often people will apply it too thick and streaking will occur.

TH3M B0N3Z
01-09-2013, 08:52 PM
Any quality sealant will wipe off easy if applied correctly. Often people will apply it too thick and streaking will occur.

I never did apply the 3M with a machine and that's because I knew I wouldn't be able to cover a larger area since it's not allowed to haze. I like the fact that Power Lock can sit and dry as long as desired. It smells less harsh than the 3M, too. I don't know if 3M is stronger in protection, but it's odor sure it toxic, lol.

CM8 6MT
01-09-2013, 09:22 PM
I never did apply the 3M with a machine and that's because I knew I wouldn't be able to cover a larger area since it's not allowed to haze. I like the fact that Power Lock can sit and dry as long as desired. It smells less harsh than the 3M, too. I don't know if 3M is stronger in protection, but it's odor sure it toxic, lol.

Most of 3M's products have a ...chemical smell to them. Their not very appealing to say the least. I wouldnt go as far to say that it has better protection than PL. I do not like 3M products AT ALL. They now own Meguiar's :|

TH3M B0N3Z
01-09-2013, 10:02 PM
Most of 3M's products have a ...chemical smell to them. Their not very appealing to say the least. I wouldnt go as far to say that it has better protection than PL. I do not like 3M products AT ALL. They now own Meguiar's :|

Yeah, the 3M smells like you could throw it on some coals and light 'em, lol. PL has a very faint lighter fluid smell, but it won't burn your nostrils like 3M. Even the 3M IHG smells like bug spray.

Detail-Impressions
01-09-2013, 11:13 PM
"Would like to know the difference between a few car sealants now for the paint. (since the car is new, don't want a wax cleaner)"

You may want to try a cleaner as the car may have more nasty dirt/rail dust is the paint than you think?

I have done several new cars and the amount dirt that has come out of paint is amazing.

Just something to think about prep work.

Fishincricket
01-09-2013, 11:18 PM
"Would like to know the difference between a few car sealants now for the paint. (since the car is new, don't want a wax cleaner)"

You may want to try a cleaner as the car may have more nasty dirt/rail dust is the paint than you think?

I have done several new cars and the amount dirt that has come out of paint is amazing.

Just something to think about prep work.
To accentuate your point:
http://i781.photobucket.com/albums/yy91/FishinCricket/funny%20stuff/7D849E01-D60B-4F7A-A70E-A3D4494B933E-5351-000007B91C8329C8.jpg
This is a new truck, fresh off the transport.