PDA

View Full Version : Tips on applying glaze...

Pages : [1] 2

TH3M B0N3Z
01-08-2013, 07:03 PM
I recently ordered a bottle of Chemical Guys EZ Creme Glaze and I'm wondering if I need to strip my car of all its wax (3 layers of Menzerna PL) and then apply the glaze and then seal once again... or can I just use the glaze on top of the sealant and then seal again?

Personally, I don't mind stripping off any wax and then glazing and sealing again. But if it's not entirely necessary, maybe I'll skip the stripping step.

What to do, what to do...

rider9195
01-08-2013, 07:07 PM
A glaze is meant to be used under a LSP. So for best results you would want to strip off the previous sealants.

Pureshine
01-08-2013, 07:08 PM
You need to strip and start over.

TH3M B0N3Z
01-08-2013, 07:11 PM
A glaze is meant to be used under a LSP. So for best results you would want to strip off the previous sealants.

I figured as much. May sound stupid, but I'm still getting familiar with glazes... do they strip wax? I'm figuring they don't, but just thought I'd ask.

I think once my car is glazed and sealed with at least 2 coats of Menzerna PL, I'm gonna have to snap some pics. I actually have 2 cars this weekend... my aunt's Highlander and my cousin's Mazda3... same year and color as mine. I'm just going to wash the cars, clay them and seal them... $250 for both cars. :)

rider9195
01-08-2013, 07:15 PM
I figured as much. May sound stupid, but I'm still getting familiar with glazes... do they strip wax? I'm figuring they don't, but just thought I'd ask.

I think once my car is glazed and sealed with at least 2 coats of Menzerna PL, I'm gonna have to snap some pics. I actually have 2 cars this weekend... my aunt's Highlander and my cousin's Mazda3... same year and color as mine. I'm just going to wash the cars, clay them and seal them... $250 for both cars. :)

The function of a glaze is to generally fill in very light swirls. They have no abrasives in them or protection.

TH3M B0N3Z
01-08-2013, 07:21 PM
The function of a glaze is to generally fill in very light swirls. They have no abrasives in them or protection.

The CG EZ Creme claims to have protection built in, they rated it's protection a 7 or 8 out of 10. Whether it protects or not, I'm applying a sealant right after the glaze. I can't have enough wax on my car, lol.

I may clay the paint after the wax is stripped, as well, even though I just clayed maybe a month or 2 ago. My car is my daily driver... my only car... and I travel on I-4 50 miles a day and I must have been behind someone who was kicking up tar or something because I've noticed very tiny black specks on my paint. I pretty much removed some of them with my fingernail, but I missed some and they really bonded to the paint despite having 3 thin layers of sealant. If anything, I'll clay the front end, maybe the roof and then just kinda walk around the rest of the car and inspect it.

Jaretr1
01-09-2013, 12:45 PM
I think it depends on the specific glaze you are using. If I understood the properties of Poor Boys White Diamond Glaze, it contains cleaners to remove old waxes or sealants in addition to fillers and gloss enhancers.

TH3M B0N3Z
01-09-2013, 01:39 PM
I think it depends on the specific glaze you are using. If I understood the properties of Poor Boys White Diamond Glaze, it contains cleaners to remove old waxes or sealants in addition to fillers and gloss enhancers.

Once I get the CG glaze, I'll see what the directions say. CGs say their glaze has filling properties, which will be good enough for me, as my paint is probably about 80 to 90 percent scratch/swirl free, but it also has protection built-in and provides a super slick surface ready for sealant or wax. It didn't mention anything about cleaners, though. If that's the case, I'll wash my car with some dish soap and that will take care of the wax. I've done it once before and, man, was the paint squeaky clean, lol. I still used the 2 bucket method and 2 wash mitts to be safe. This will most likely be the second time I've washed my car with dish soap. Larry at AMMONYC suggests doing that when intentionally wanting to strip wax. Kinda had me worried because I had never washed my car with dish soap EVER, but the result was super squeaky clean paint and it actually revealed some light scratches that I wound up removing rather quickly. I'm gonna have to clay the front end of my car, though. I've got some tar or something stuck on that won't come off during the wash process. Thanks for all the tips, everyone!

rmagnus
01-09-2013, 02:25 PM
Clay will work on tar just not the best thing to do. Use mineral spirits or Tarminator type product. Steam will work as well if you have it. I'd recommend claying the entire car. It's pretty quick to do. That way you can do a light polish which serves two purposes; 1. strips everything and 2 takes care of light scrathces. This way you can use glaze before waxing.

If you get the polishing done the way you want it you may not need the glaze just go to the waxing step. Glaze is a quick way to cover light defects before waxing.

RMM
01-09-2013, 03:08 PM
The only glaze (that I know) that can be applied over the LSPs is Wet Glaze 2.0.
For all the others, you have to strip everything and start over.

Mike Moore
01-09-2013, 03:30 PM
The only glaze (that I know) that can be applied over the LSPs is Wet Glaze 2.0.
For all the others, you have to strip everything and start over.

^ Agreed

TH3M B0N3Z
01-09-2013, 06:59 PM
Clay will work on tar just not the best thing to do. Use mineral spirits or Tarminator type product. Steam will work as well if you have it. I'd recommend claying the entire car. It's pretty quick to do. That way you can do a light polish which serves two purposes; 1. strips everything and 2 takes care of light scrathces. This way you can use glaze before waxing.

If you get the polishing done the way you want it you may not need the glaze just go to the waxing step. Glaze is a quick way to cover light defects before waxing.

Only reason I may not clay the entire car is because I just clayed it maybe a month ago. But my car does sit outside day and night, so I'll probably wind up claying the whole car. As far as polishing, possibly... I just don't wanna go too crazy, lol. I've done some spot polishing here and there, but not all the way around since the first time. Clay, glaze and sealant will probably do me just fine. But I always get carried away, so some polishing may occur, lol.

martijefre
01-09-2013, 08:16 PM
They have no abrasives in them or protection.
http://www.dvxs.info/a13.jpg

TH3M B0N3Z
01-09-2013, 08:20 PM
They have no abrasives in them or protection.
http://www.dvxs.info/a13.jpg

EZ Creme Glaze description:

Helps fill in imperfections and provide a more uniform appearance
Quickly add lots of shine back to your paint
Helps fill in and ultra fine swirls, so they are not visible to the naked eye
Delivers ultimate repellency of dirt by reducing static charge
The perfect blend of gloss enhancers and surface protectants

RMM
01-09-2013, 08:27 PM
EZ Creme Glaze description:

Helps fill in imperfections and provide a more uniform appearance
Quickly add lots of shine back to your paint
Helps fill in and ultra fine swirls, so they are not visible to the naked eye
Delivers ultimate repellency of dirt by reducing static charge
The perfect blend of gloss enhancers and surface protectants

Don't pay attention to martijefre: he is a spammer...

:spam4: